Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times

Advertisements

I just got a good used inversion table and was wondering how often you are hanging upside down each time , and do you do it several times per day ? No instructions came with the table i bought . My main problem is my lower back and neck pains . Any feedback appreciated before i go nuts on this thing . Looking for tips, suggestions, and personal experience...and how well do u think youve benefitted from it ? Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Why not ask the therapist who recommended it for you? I'm assuming you -did- go to some medical professional-type person to check on the problem with your back? I'm assuming the medical person gave you a thumbs up for this type of therapy, that it will actually help, and won't cause more damage?

So, whoever recommended this treatment, you should ask them how to use it. I know people who have benefitted from it, but I'm not a good candidate for using it due to the nature of my own spinal issues. It would probably cause much more damage than I already have, if I tried it.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
We got one for my Mom a few years ago. It was too harsh for her. A chiropractor wouldn't even touch her. My Dad has it in his basement. I haven't used it for a long time and never did with any regularity so I would seek professional advice also.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Why not ask the therapist who recommended it for you? I'm assuming you -did- go to some medical professional-type person to check on the problem with your back? I'm assuming the medical person gave you a thumbs up for this type of therapy, that it will actually help, and won't cause more damage?

So, whoever recommended this treatment, you should ask them how to use it. I know people who have benefitted from it, but I'm not a good candidate for using it due to the nature of my own spinal issues. It would probably cause much more damage than I already have, if I tried it.
I never went to a Therapist except a Chiropractor a few times many years ago. He would adjust my back in a couple places . I wasnt involved in an accident or anything...but im tall at 6'3" and have lower back pain most of the time. I tried it out about an hour ago and hung upside down for 1-2 minutes completely straight and i heard 3 seperate disks crack/pop . When i went upright again and got off the table, the discomfort was gone and there was no pressure type feeling in my back. I talked to a lady on C.D. who says to do it no longer than 2 minutes and 4-5 times per day. I think ill stick to that regimen and see how it goes.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Well sure, how could you go wrong with some unknown woman with unknown qualifications? Lots of things don't hurt the first time but get worse with repitition.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-18-2010 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM

427 posts, read 549,873 times
I've personally used an inversion table in the past. It worked great for me. I had a really bad lower back.

I'ts generaly reccomended that for beginners, for the first week or two, 1 or 2 minutes at a crack, several times a day. After that, 5 to 15 min. once or twice a day. And beginners should invert at a very shallow incline for just starting out.

Recent study from New Castle University found that over 70% of patients who used inversion were able to cancle their scheduled back surgeries. Another study was done on 175 people who couldn't work due to back pain. After 8 treatments 155 of them were able to go back to work full time.

It's also supposed to help you maintain your height, improve your circulation, relieve stress, and increase flexibility.

Inversion, love it, and the positive results!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'all smile now! Grandpa? View Post
I've personally used an inversion table in the past. It worked great for me. I had a really bad lower back.

I'ts generaly reccomended that for beginners, for the first week or two, 1 or 2 minutes at a crack, several times a day. After that, 5 to 15 min. once or twice a day. And beginners should invert at a very shallow incline for just starting out.

Recent study from New Castle University found that over 70% of patients who used inversion were able to cancle their scheduled back surgeries. Another study was done on 175 people who couldn't work due to back pain. After 8 treatments 155 of them were able to go back to work full time.

It's also supposed to help you maintain your height, improve your circulation, relieve stress, and increase flexibility.

Inversion, love it, and the positive results!
Wow...those are pretty impressive scientific results . Thanks.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Well sure, how could you go wrong with some unknown woman with unknown qualifications? Lots of things don't hurt the first time but get worse with repitition.
I think there MAY be cause for concern if the person had degenerative disk disease or rheumatoid arthritis...but for the general population who suffer from low to medium back pain/neck pain/ muscle stress/etc.. it is safe otherwise Government authorities would step in and stop places like Sams Club and Walmart from selling them to the public not needing a Doctors recommendation. The unknown woman i was chatting with shared her own testimony on the use of inversion therapy which has been good for her long term, so there was no reason for her not to be telling the truth to me. IVe since read many other entrys on Inversion Therapy Forums and ALL report benefits ranging from low to very high --- one contributor even reports being able to walk again without any pain . I think you should git yourself an inversion table (today) !

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I think there MAY be cause for concern if the person had degenerative disk disease or rheumatoid arthritis...but for the general population who suffer from low to medium back pain/neck pain/ muscle stress/etc.. it is safe otherwise Government authorities would step in and stop places like Sams Club and Walmart from selling them to the public not needing a Doctors recommendation. The unknown woman i was chatting with shared her own testimony on the use of inversion therapy which has been good for her long term, so there was no reason for her not to be telling the truth to me. IVe since read many other entrys on Inversion Therapy Forums and ALL report benefits ranging from low to very high --- one contributor even reports being able to walk again without any pain . I think you should git yourself an inversion table (today) !
That just isn't so. If the government would stop Walmart from selling inversion tables due to people not getting doctors' recommendations, they would also stop CVS from selling aspirin for the same reason.

You don't need a doctor's recommendation to use over-the-counter treatments. However, it would be foolish not to get one when it comes to certain things - like the health of your spine.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That just isn't so. If the government would stop Walmart from selling inversion tables due to people not getting doctors' recommendations, they would also stop CVS from selling aspirin for the same reason.

You don't need a doctor's recommendation to use over-the-counter treatments. However, it would be foolish not to get one when it comes to certain things - like the health of your spine.
Hey, im all for seeing a doctor if your spine is giving you trouble before getting an inversion table . Better to know what youre dealing with . An xray cant hurt to pinpoint your spinal trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness