Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times

Advertisements

I am preparing taco's for dinner tonight, my buddy and I have a battle going on of who can cook the best. He uses canned and processed food to cook everything, I use everything from scratch, healthy stuff.

Well, Sunday I went to his house, we hiked a mountain and then ate Taco's. He used beef cooked in a crock pot, so pulled beef I guess. It was good, but I about died after eating it. There was so much grease and fat in it, I actually felt sick after eating 9 taco's. (Yeah yeah, I know. Its a lot, but I can eat that much and not feel bad about it. exercise.)

So, now I am preparing mine. I put the pot roast in my crock pot last night. It was cooking about 14 hours, then I pulled this from it.

That was a 2 minute gravity strain through a wire strainer. I threw it in the freezer to fully seperate the fat from the rest of the juices. That was from a 2.67 lb roast from Fry's food and drug store. I am sure there is quite a bit more in there, but it is as good as it is going to get. The meat tastes much better now without all that in there.

He is coming over tonight. We are going for a run, then we will eat. After we eat I will show him the picture of what came out of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
After you separated the fat from the juices, I hope you added the juices back in for flavor and moisture.

I always remove as much fat as possible whenever I can. There is always enough fat that remains, but too much grease is gross in anything. I also use fresh ingredients whenever possible. The only processed item I might use is Lipton Onion Soup mix or canned tomato products. I don't keep too many packaged or canned foods around.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Yeech!

Ok, news flash---some people eat the fat! They never drain their meat, it never even occurred to them. to my idea, its like eating the banana, peel and all! But people have different eathing/cooking styles I guess.

Once I was in charge of a spaghetti supper for our church. You couldn't believe the flack I got for buying extra lean ground beef, at 40 cents more a pound than hamburger. Ok, for 10 pounds, that's an extra $4. big deal! I got so much flack, I even offered to chip in the extra $4 myself. Finally, I bowed out, forget it.

I tried to point out that once you drain all the fat from the cheap hamburger, what's leftover is about the same price per pound as the lean, anyways. I just got blank looks from the other ladies. So, I let someone else handle it.

When I showed up for the dinner, I couldn't believe, the spaghetti was simply swimming in grease! I couldn't handle a bite of it. Apparently they didn't drain it. That explains the confusion! Some people will do anything to save a buck

Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yeech!

Ok, news flash---some people eat the fat! They never drain their meat, it never even occurred to them. to my idea, its like eating the banana, peel and all! But people have different eathing/cooking styles I guess.

Once I was in charge of a spaghetti supper for our church. You couldn't believe the flack I got for buying extra lean ground beef, at 40 cents more a pound than hamburger. Ok, for 10 pounds, that's an extra $4. big deal! I got so much flack, I even offered to chip in the extra $4 myself. Finally, I bowed out, forget it.

I tried to point out that once you drain all the fat from the cheap hamburger, what's leftover is about the same price per pound as the lean, anyways. I just got blank looks from the other ladies. So, I let someone else handle it.

When I showed up for the dinner, I couldn't believe, the spaghetti was simply swimming in grease! I couldn't handle a bite of it. Apparently they didn't drain it. That explains the confusion! Some people will do anything to save a buck
I think spaghetti meat sauce definitely requires a very lean meat. I don't like my sauce greasy.

But, if you make meatloaf or meatballs, a higher fat beef is required for flavor and moisture. I like both with 1/2 ground beef (80/20) and 1/2 ground pork.

As for pot roasts, I usually don't skim the fat out of the crock pot, but I do trim the fat off the meat before eating it. Then, once refrigerated, I'll skim the fat out of the tupperware before reheating my leftovers. A little fat gives a lot of flavor, so I'm not too picky about it.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
After you separated the fat from the juices, I hope you added the juices back in for flavor and moisture.

I always remove as much fat as possible whenever I can. There is always enough fat that remains, but too much grease is gross in anything. I also use fresh ingredients whenever possible. The only processed item I might use is Lipton Onion Soup mix or canned tomato products. I don't keep too many packaged or canned foods around.
Sure did!
I scooped the fat off the top and it went in the trash. Poured the good stuff back in.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM

That is tragic about the church spaghetti. No offense, but the ladies on the church staff don't sound very spiritual at all. Not at my church at least. It is gossip central.

Back on topic!

I drained it again. Got a bit more out. Maybe 1/4 of the amount I had gotten from the first round. Now it is just broth that the meat is in. Taste's awesome. Can't wait to eat it. I made a sandwich out of it, it is GOOOOOOOD. Not dry at all.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
That was a pretty graphic illustration of the fat and how to filter it...animal fat--my brother calls it 'blood sludge.' I think you proved his point. Our poor arteries!!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
There is nothing wrong with animal fats when eaten in moderation.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I always dump the fat, alway have! My system never could handle a lot of grease. When using ground meat (even ground chuck or ground turkey) in something like spaghetti I mix the meat in water (Just enough to mash and mix it) and boil it and drain it when it's cooked. When cooking roasts, I sit it on top of a cake rack or something where it does not sit in the drippings and soak in the fat as it cooks. My burgers I always bake and they are on top of a rack to drain the fats away from the meat too... they STILL have a lot of fat in them and when I eat mine, I mash it between paper towels to get as much grease out of it as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness