Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,836 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been suffering from high blood pressure from the age of 12 years old. I am now 29 years. I am on and off on chronic medication but the blood pressure is still high and only goes down when I'm on medication. I have found out a few weeks ago that I have a low iron level. I take supplements every day.
How can I keep my blood pressure to be normal without being on chronic medicine?
I admit that I don't eat right and I am stressed almost every day due to work and personal life. there is a history of diabetic and high blood pressure in my family (grand parents) on mother's side. I am not overweight at all.

Please advise

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
I'm not sure we can help, b/c you say you've had high blood pressure since you were 12? That sounds like a more complex case than most people who gain weight in middle age and their BP starts to go up. Mine did and I started exercising, and it came right back down. I'm not sure this has anything to do with low iron though b/c I'm always taking iron supplements for anemia and my BP is generally just fine. Do you eat a lot of sugary foods? Soda? I'd lay off those of course, and clean up the diet as a start. Then see what can be done to get off the meds b/c you never will if you don't eat healthy and exercise. But you knew that.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,017,134 times
hypertension since 12 years old and they haven't looked into whats causing it?

fwiw, when my iron is low my blood pressure plummets.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM

523 posts, read 3,806,145 times
assuming you have been thoroughly investigated for treatable causes of your hypertension (e.g. kidney disease, problems with the blood vessels to the kidneys, and coarctation of the aorta being the most common), and you don't have other modifiable risk factors (e.g. obesity, diabetes, smoking, or high cholesterol) then the best you can do is watch your weight, eat healthily, and exercise regularly.

if these fail to control your blood pressure, then im afraid you're stuck with the drugs.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Do you have a form of anemia that prevents your body from absorbing B vitamins? Have you ever tried eating right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness