Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times

Advertisements

Dear Modest Women I'm wondering how you feel about a male pharmacist filling a prescription Plan B? What if a female patient needs to ask the male pharmacist questions about birth control pills? Could you please explain this medical setting? I work in a pharmacy and this is a day to day scenario so please explain how this works since clearly we are violation modesty rules on a very regular basis HIPPA AND MODESTY RULES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This smacks of sexism....lets take it one step further......
No man should EVER be allowed to have anything to do with any kind of plastic reconstuctive surgery that involves a womans breasts, nor any male oncologists be allowed to specialize in breast cancer. (oh, the horror!) Or male pharmacists thsat might fill a females prescriptions, or male nurses that might come into contact with women!
And on down the slippery slope it leads.
You DO realize how ridiculous this all sounds to anyone with an education in any medical field?
Medieval nonsense, might as well get the leeches and bleeding cups out now.
totally right!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Dear Modest Women I'm wondering how you feel about a male pharmacist filling a prescription Plan B? What if a female patient needs to ask the male pharmacist questions about birth control pills? Could you please explain this medical setting? I work in a pharmacy and this is a day to day scenario so please explain how this works since clearly we are violation modesty rules on a very regular basis HIPPA AND MODESTY RULES
Yes I want to know too! I also work in a pharmacy and have counseled female patients about birth control--was I being immodest??

Speaking of pharmacy, how strange that this topic came up at my pharmacy today. The people I was having the discussion with agreed that there is no room for modesty in the medical setting (or sided with what I feel the be the general consensus of this thread). (One of my co-workers mentioned how in med school, the students used to practice on each other for pelvic and prostate exams. Brings the whole idea of getting close with classmates to a whole different level!).

Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
This is a tough issue, but I will respond to you about my thoughts on this issue. Let's not focus on surgeries that are planned in advanced, routine exams such as pelvic exams, etc. I have already shared my thoughts about this.

Unfortunately, modesty has to be thrown out sometimes when it comes to life threatening situations. I think it is very important to save a person's life. I know that you have to take shirt off a woman if she is on the verge of dying because she cannot breathe or if a woman had a heart attack. Most heart surgeons are male. A lady's heart is so close to her breasts. I hope someday they can invent something to cover at least some of the women's breasts for heart surgery. I know they can put some drapes on certain parts of the breasts, but most of the breasts are exposed. Male patients don't worry about being topless of course. I do feel that medical professionals should try their best to protect people's modesty even in emergencies. For example, there's no need to remove the underwear of a person who cannot breathe due to a horrible asthma attack. Their private parts have nothing to do with why they cannot breathe. I feel that female nurses should try to put some drapes on a lady's breasts to prevent males from seeing them. I absolutely don't support non-consensual pelvic exams on heart attack victims.

As for postparum bleeding, I think that every hospital should have at least one female ob/gyn on call at all times to help out with postparum bleeding. There are several hospitals in the US including 3 in Oklahoma, Indiana, and North Carolina that have all female ob/gyns and no male ob/gyns at all. I don't feel that men belong to ob/gyn field at all. I think ob/gyn should be restricted to women.

To get back to the subject of saving people's lives. I think it is important for a person's life to be saved even if she/he loses some modesty. She/he will feel violated and the sexual part of his/her marriage may not be as sacred as it used to be. But it is best that the person didn't die and live. Think about how a man who has run into a lot of marathons and loves surfboarding feels if he got attacked by a shark and his legs were injured badly and the doctors told him that he will probably not live unless his legs were amputated. It would be best for him to let his legs be amputated even though he will lose the ability to run in marathons or surfboard. His life won't be the same. I am sure that most people here will agree that it is best for him to have his legs amputated and live. He will have to walk on his hands or stay in a wheelchair (not the best thing).
Tried my best to stay off this ludicrous thread but I can't take it anymore.....

1. So glad to know you "think saving a person's life MIGHT be OK even if they lose some modesty" Whew...what a relief

2. "Breast covers" for heart surgery???? Really??? Get a grip....ain't happening....

3. You seem to be the one with the breast hangup.....as a longtime medical professional and male, trust me, I don't get excited over seeing a patient's breasts....

4. Glad to know you don't support "non consensual pelvic exams on heart attack patients"....you know....since they don't happen anyway...but still....good to know where you stand on an exam that would never happen anyway

5. Post partum bleeding is the leading cause of maternal death worldwide....in your warped view one should really wait on a female provider to stop the hemorrhage??? Ummm, no thanks....obviously the MOST QUALIFIED provider regardless of gender needs to take charge immediately....

6. Fortunately no one cares what you think about restricting a medical practice to a specific gender....there have ALWAYS been male OB/GYNs and there always WILL BE. You can feel free to choose a female if that is your preference (no guarantee SHE will be on call and NOT her MALE colleague when you deliver however)

7. Safe to say 99.9 percent of women don't feel violated or worry that the sanctity of their marriage has been violated if a male health care provider happens to see their full monty while carrying out their duty to the patient.

8. Don't even know how to respond to the shark attack scenario as that is bizarre beyond words and pointless to boot.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
8. Don't even know how to respond to the shark attack scenario as that is bizarre beyond words and pointless to boot.
That is really quite bizarre. I couldn't find a point to it either.

I agree with your other statements as well. I think everyone else would agree with them too, except Modest Woman. Ah well, you can't please everyone--as, being in the medical profession, I'm sure you know. I think there's a Modest Woman in everyone's practice--I know I've met a few of them where I work (I think I'm going to start calling my difficult patients "Modest Woman"... and wonder if anyone else at work would know what the heck I'm talking about).

Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM

24 posts, read 217,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This smacks of sexism....lets take it one step further......
No man should EVER be allowed to have anything to do with any kind of plastic reconstuctive surgery that involves a womans breasts, nor any male oncologists be allowed to specialize in breast cancer. (oh, the horror!) Or male pharmacists thsat might fill a females prescriptions, or male nurses that might come into contact with women!
And on down the slippery slope it leads.
You DO realize how ridiculous this all sounds to anyone with an education in any medical field?
Medieval nonsense, might as well get the leeches and bleeding cups out now.
I don't see anything wrong with male pharmacists filling out prescriptions such as yeast infection medicines for female patients. Women never have to disrobe for a pharmacist in order to get a prescription. That's totally different from male ob/gyn who gets to see and examine private parts of women who he is not married to.

Let me ask you a question. Since you think it is okay for men to be gynecologists, what do you think about men who want to become bra fitters at Belk's? Belk's will only hire females to be bra fitters. I encourage men in this discussion who don't see anything wrong with male gynecologists to call Belk's and see if they can apply to be bra fitters. They would think that men who wanted to be bra fitters are perverted. Male gynecologists are not morally above other men. If it is okay for a man to be a gynecologist, why is it not okay for a man to be a bra fitter at Belk's or another clothing store?

If you do a deep research on Google, you will find out that many male doctors have gotten aroused by doing gynecological exams on women. One doctor felt so convicted that he gave up doing gynecological exams and he said tha his wife only goes to a female ob/gyn. There are doctors and nurses out there who do understand my convictions clearly.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I think you need to contact a therapist because something isn't right about you.
for once - I absolutely agree with you

Moderator cut: against the TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-03-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
I
If you do a deep research on Google, you will find out that many male doctors have gotten aroused by doing gynecological exams on women. One doctor felt so convicted that he gave up doing gynecological exams and he said tha his wife only goes to a female ob/gyn. There are doctors and nurses out there who do understand my convictions clearly.

You know OP, if "medical modesty" is taking up SO much of your concerns - you should thank your lucky stars that is ALL you have to obsess over.

Moderator cut: against the TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-03-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
This thread is totally ridiculous! What makes most of these paranoid posters think anyone in a hospital setting even wants to "play with their ding dongs? Hey, they wouldn't even be there if they weren't getting paid!

Ok, all disgust aside, I read about writing consent forms that override any blanket consent forms hospitals may give you. Let me tell you a little story about a guy who did exactly that, not for modesty, but for lack of basic trust. He overode much of the consent form, struck out some working, inserted his own, blah, blah, blah..............he was in there for some sort of hernia repair (this was in the olden days where hernias weren't repaired by laproscope, they actually opened you up). They discovered a totally unexpected cancer, a big, fat, ugly, maligant tumor that was contained at that point. All they had to do was snip it off, perhaps some chemotherapy, but he had a good chance.

Except for his consent forms, which basically tied their hands. Their only option was to sew him up, then re schedule the cancer surgery at a later date. Well, they couldn't get back into him for about 2 weeks, by that time, the cancer had spread like wild fire, apparently just being exposed to the air caused the tumor to grow rapidly. He died in about a month. he was 32 years old.

How do I know so much about him? He was a co worker, I worked in a hospital many years ago, in the acounting dept, but the story spread throughout the hospital. Basically he signed his own death warrant.

Face it, YOU went to them, not the other way around. don't tie their hands, and don't think you're so desirable they can't wait to get it on with you, what do you think they do in the meantime, are you worth the wait

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with male pharmacists filling out prescriptions such as yeast infection medicines for female patients. Women never have to disrobe for a pharmacist in order to get a prescription. That's totally different from male ob/gyn who gets to see and examine private parts of women who he is not married to.

Let me ask you a question. Since you think it is okay for men to be gynecologists, what do you think about men who want to become bra fitters at Belk's? Belk's will only hire females to be bra fitters. I encourage men in this discussion who don't see anything wrong with male gynecologists to call Belk's and see if they can apply to be bra fitters. They would think that men who wanted to be bra fitters are perverted. Male gynecologists are not morally above other men. If it is okay for a man to be a gynecologist, why is it not okay for a man to be a bra fitter at Belk's or another clothing store?

I think you have some pretty kinky sexual issues going on and may even be slightly excited just talking about it. And the fact that the ONLY THING you have posted about on CD is this issue confirms that. You can choose your Dr. Do whatever you like, nobody really cares. But this topic you want to go on and on and on about is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness