Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,091 times

Advertisements

I have been sick with the flu recently, and just today everytime I take a deep breath in I get a sharp pain in what feels like just underneath my right shoulderblade. Anyone know what this could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
sounds like typical pleuritic pain (caused by pain of the lining of the lungs)and is likely just an after effect of the flu. if it isnt associated with any other symptoms (particularly shortness of breath, coughing up bloody sputum) then there shouldnt be a great deal to worry about.

if it doesnt go away, or you feel like you are not fully recovering from the flu, then you should go see your doctor, as it might be an indication of a secondary chest infection.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Your lungs. See a doctor.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
I had the same thing happen after a bout of the flu. It was pneumonia. Go to the doctor and get a chest x-ray.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
sounds like typical pleuritic pain (caused by pain of the lining of the lungs)and is likely just an after effect of the flu.
Pleurisy was my first thought, too. Went to the ER because I thought I'd cracked a rib with all my caughing. They did an X-ray and diagnosed a horrendous case of bronchitis -- not yet pneumonia -- and pleurisy. Gave me antibiotics -- I'd not been on them before, because the doctor had told me that whatever I had was viral, not bacterial -- and the pleurisy cleared up. Horrible pain, though, while it was bad. Like a knife.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I have been sick with the flu recently, and just today everytime I take a deep breath in I get a sharp pain in what feels like just underneath my right shoulderblade. Anyone know what this could be?
My wife (a currently pregnant nurse) recently had thoracic pain upon inhalation severe enough for her to think that she may be having radiating pain from a kidney infection and we elected to go to the hospital.

Chest X-ray led to a diagnosis of pneumonia. If she hadn't been pregnant she probably would have tried to push through it and become extremely ill.

With that recent episode in mind, I would definitely encourage you to involve your doctor sooner rather than later.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Pleurisy was my first thought, too.
That's what it sounds to me, too. I had it a few years ago and it took a long time to recover (a few months). Took antibiotics for a long time as well, which is something I regret having done right now.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Sounds just like the pain when I had bronchitis. Took several weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I used to experience chronic asthmatic bronchitis every winter for years and years. It started two years before I ever started smoking. It stopped around ten years before I quit smoking. So while smoking certainly contributed to its severity, it was definitely not the cause, and quitting definitely didn't cure it.

I'd cough til I was sore, then cough some more. I thought I was breaking ribs, some years, it was so bad. I'd cough up blood just from coughing so much I'd scrape my throat raw. One year it was bad enough I got chest x-rays. Whaddya know, I had walking pneumonia, on top of it all. I stayed in bed 4 days being absolutely miserable because laying down made more phlegm in my lungs, and I was too exhausted to sit up.

I know the pain. Intimately. Get chest x-rays. If it's pneumonia you'll be glad you did. If it isn't, you'll be able to rule it out and it'll be one less item on your list of "things that are stressing me out too much for me to get better."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness