Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 04:43 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Where did you find the 2% rate? That's encouraging.

Washington state is around 8%. They may be ahead of other states with testing, I don't know.

Number of Individuals Tested (As of today, March 15)
Positive 642
Negative 7122

https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus
That's what Dr. Fauci (or one of the other career professionals) said during the press conference at the White House the other day. I haven't found anything independent to verify, so am taking them at their word.

I will say that we have 62 deaths reported in the US and about 3,100 confirmed cases in the US today, for a death rate of 2%. I think we will have a lower death rate than Italy does. Something tells me that the virus hit Italy hard and fast before Europe realized how serious it was outside of China. Its easy to look at things from afar, but if it hasn't hit home yet (and if you haven't taken serious precautions for when it does hit home), you may get caught off guard. We saw a large cluster of deaths (About 1/3 of the total deaths if my math is correct) from the Washington State nursing home, which, incidentally enough, was tied to contacts who had traveled to Italy.

Not to get into politics, but I think President Trump closing off flights to China early on helped prevent what could have been far worse in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I just don't think anyone should rely on the confirmed test results in their area to equal the presence of the virus in the community.
That's fair. The virus numbers are almost certainly higher than the confirmed numbers indicate as some people only have mild symptoms associated with the common cold or flu (and thus don't think they have the coronavirus) if they have any symptoms at all. Of course, this would mean that the death rate in the US (and elsewhere) is likely far lower than reported for the virus.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
I have close friends who were headed to Kauai in April. The booked a condo through VRBO ($4,000). Like most people they have decided it would be unsafe to go and contacted VRBO, who will do NOTHING about helping them secure a refund. "Contact the owner directly" was their only advice.
The owner said "no".

Meanwhile AIRBNB announced that with this virus, everyone who has a reservation through them, worldwide, can now cancel with no penalties.

Guess who we will be using from now on.

Edited to add, tomorrow a travel ban on domestic flights to Hawaii MAY be announced by the CDC.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-15-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I have close friends who were headed to Kauai in April. The booked a condo through VRBO ($4,000). Like most people they have decided it would be unsafe to go and contacted VRBO, who will do NOTHING about helping them secure a refund. "Contact the owner directly" was their only advice.
The owner said "no".

Meanwhile AIRBNB announced that with this virus, everyone who has a reservation through them, worldwide, can now cancel with no penalties.

Guess who we will be using from now on.

Edited to add, tomorrow a travel ban on domestic flights to Hawaii MAY be announced by the CDC.
Do you have a source for that? IF this did happen, I don't know why the CDC would be making the announcement as it isn't the agency that would make that call.

Moving on, I think the VRBO host was a fool to not refund the money. Even if the law and contract are on the host's side, the bad review the host will get for the behavior will likely be a pain in the butt for the host going forward. Seems very short-sighted of the host. But maybe, not. Maybe people won't give a damn after this thing has run its course and the host will be fine.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you have a source for that? IF this did happen, I don't know why the CDC would be making the announcement as it isn't the agency that would make that call.

Moving on, I think the VRBO host was a fool to not refund the money. Even if the law and contract are on the host's side, the bad review the host will get for the behavior will likely be a pain in the butt for the host going forward. Seems very short-sighted of the host. But maybe, not. Maybe people won't give a damn after this thing has run its course and the host will be fine.
I just read it on the "Beat Of Hawaii" website.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:56 PM

Schools statewide were just shut down for an extra week following Spring Break. The new restart date is March 30th.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:25 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I just read it on the "Beat Of Hawaii" website.

Here's what it says on their Facebook page.

We continue to hear the distinct possibility of a minimum 14-day domestic travel ban. Today the federal government said that it is under consideration. “We continue to look at all options, and all options remain on the table. That, according to Chad Wolf, acting secretary of the USDHS. CDC also said today it “recommended that no gatherings with 50 people or more take place for the next eight weeks to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.” That according to CNN. Obviously all commercial aircraft flying would seemingly be similar, just based on that size.

Tomorrow there will be new COVID-19 guidelines released by the CDC. That may or may not answer the question regarding domestic travel. We also have heard that Canadian visitors in Hawaii have been scrambling to leave due to the possibility of a border closing with the United States.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:28 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So far 6 cases - which given the volume of visitors seems very low. Hoping the warm weather is having an impact - on the mainland, northern states seem to have it worse also.....
Northern states such as Maine, Vermont, ND, Montana and Alaska? Nope.

I don't believe this virus really cares what the weather is like. Cold, temperate, warm, hot, humid, dry-doesn't seem to matter.

Here's a site with state by state stats.https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com...tbfcR3n-gegabA

Old 03-16-2020, 01:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Northern states such as Maine, Vermont, ND, Montana and Alaska? Nope.

I don't believe this virus really cares what the weather is like. Cold, temperate, warm, hot, humid, dry-doesn't seem to matter.

Here's a site with state by state stats.https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com...tbfcR3n-gegabA
Temperature probably matters, but those states you mentioned has low population density as well, which acts to limit the spread. You could have a state with a more temperate climate that spreads more simply because people are more crowded together.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Here's what it says on their Facebook page.

We continue to hear the distinct possibility of a minimum 14-day domestic travel ban. Today the federal government said that it is under consideration. “We continue to look at all options, and all options remain on the table. That, according to Chad Wolf, acting secretary of the USDHS. CDC also said today it “recommended that no gatherings with 50 people or more take place for the next eight weeks to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.” That according to CNN. Obviously all commercial aircraft flying would seemingly be similar, just based on that size.

Tomorrow there will be new COVID-19 guidelines released by the CDC. That may or may not answer the question regarding domestic travel. We also have heard that Canadian visitors in Hawaii have been scrambling to leave due to the possibility of a border closing with the United States.
Thanks. That makes more sense and nothing would be specific or unique to Hawaii, which is primarily what I was skeptical of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: