Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 11:19 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine808 View Post
It should be inspected by a state Automotive Inspector before the vehicle is released back to the owner.
I see some funny out there posts on CD - but this is definitely a whopper.

Can one imagine how long someone would have to wait for their car to be inspected by a State Automotive Inspector - how many cars are sitting in repair shops on Oahu right now, a 1,000? More? Where would the auto places store all the cars waiting for inspection by the State - what is an acceptable wait, 6 months, more? How much is the inspection going to cost me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM

112 posts, read 96,754 times
The State can't get the AV cars picked up from the sides of the road and the OP wants to put them in charge of making sure vehicles are to "spec" after repair.

Keep voting for the nanny-state...someday you might get it. Makes me wonder if they have a government department in China checking on used car repairs.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
The State can't get the AV cars picked up from the sides of the road and the OP wants to put them in charge of making sure vehicles are to "spec" after repair.

Keep voting for the nanny-state...someday you might get it. Makes me wonder if they have a government department in China checking on used car repairs.
They might have, pre Corona Virus....

Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 PM

55 posts, read 34,505 times
I am sorry some of you folks are rich and got 50g to spend on a brand new car. I only can afford what I can spend in my means. There are people and dealerships big or small that take advantage of these type of people. Wait tell one day you blow your hard working money on really nice vehicle that has been cut and shut. It is seriousily dangerous to motorists. The people who perform this impromptu vehicular surgery are generally more concerned with shifting them for profit than they are about doing a good job that guarantees safety. The structural integrity of the cars are altered so that these scrap cars can be liable to fall apart completely with even the slightest impact. So not only does it make it dangerous to you, the driver, but also any other passengers and likely any motorists around you. It’s essentially a perfect storm that lead to death, because of someone was careless repairing the vehicle. The scary part some of these cars has clean titles.

I mean my suggestion may not be the best, but we need stricter laws in place and access to records of vehicles repairs. It should be illegal for collision shops to not provide these records to anyone asking for it, especially the new owner. There should be a mandatory law that these records cannot be destroyed for x number of years. I think the problem is our DMV in Hawaii operates like interstate DMV. If an accident happened on Maui County, it's not going to show up on Hawaii County. It's easy to get a clean title and new license plates on vehicles.

Last edited by Sunshine808; 02-10-2020 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
I am sorry some of you folks are rich and got 50g to spend on a brand new car.
Give us a break - 50g is going to get a brand new mid level luxury Lexus.

Lots of BRAND NEW cars available under $20,000

Old 02-11-2020, 07:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well OP, as you are so very passionate about the subject, I suggest you put your efforts into something more productive like lobbying your local politicians.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Hey, it's an election year, isn't it? Don't bother to lobby, run for office! Employment and possibly a company car? Which politicians get a company car?

The other answer is don't buy cars from people you don't know.

Currently, one of our friends is looking for a new (to her, anyway) truck. Last week a pig came out of the underbrush and she swerved to miss it, although it was still hit. Then the car rolled down a ravine and ended up in a banana patch. The people who came and collected the pig said it was around 200 pounds, so it was a big pig. She is okay, but the car is totaled. So, now folks are asking around if there's a truck or car for her. One will appear in a day or two, one that was previously owned by someone known and who will know if the car needs any repairs.

This only works if you're in a community, though, but if you've lived here for awhile or better yet, were born and grew up here, then there should be that sort of social support net in place. Peer-to-peer is best for most buying of used items when ever possible. It helps the person selling as well as the person buying and keeps the money (if money was exchanged and not some other sort of swap) circulating in the local community.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,163 times
Cool auto body tech on kauai

Quote:
I tried speaking with an appropriate state office about finding laws related to obtaining information on a major accident repair that occurred during previous ownership. The auto collusion center is refusing to tell me what was repaired on my vehicle, then I can get it fixed by my mechanic. The state office said I would have to call Ford Manufacturer, and not the collision center.

The manufacturer in this case would be the auto collusion center, since they did repairs on the vehicle that is not to exact specifications. The vehicle is union body, and I think they almost did a good job but miss cut some panel off by a few cm. This error can make a difference when driving on the road and causes the body of the vehicle to flex and make noises.

I don't understand how my vehicle been in 2 major accidents according to carfax it just says front and rear damages, and the vehicle has a clean. From researching online, our DMV in Hawaii seems to operate as interstate dmv. If you bought a car on Kauai, and live on Maui. The Maui DMV wouldn't know if the car was in accident, and it will be a clean title vehicle.

Why do collusion center have to hide Information? I think this industry needs become more regulated, like the real estate. If a car is involved in accident and repairs are made it needs to pass county inspection before being released back to the owner to make sure the vehicle has been repaired to original factory specifications. Can you imagine if houses never had inspection, people would take short cuts to make the house look nice from the outside and sell it for 700k.

A car is designed to protect you, when involved in a major accident. If repaired incorrectly, it can lead to consequences. The dangerous jobs are small repairs that is very much hidden. I understand used car dealership take advantage of people who cant afford a new car, but they folks need to be highly regulated.
let me start by saying we are highly regulated and highley under paid the car you mentioned should be up to specs if not go have it reinspected at another shop and have give you a print out of the frame mesurements
this proving youre point if it is frame damage if it was pannel replacement it should be obvious where the mistakes were made but i cant see that being youre problem with what u decribed the body shop busness sucks because of the insurance companies and the laws saying you have to have to have insurance everyone should have a choice if u want youre car covered then insure it if not then dont youre insurance would cover u and property damage other than another car in a accident the reason i say this is we are all getting scrued can u go to the store and tell them how much you will pay them for a gallon of milk ?
well youre insurance company does that to us in hawaii they only pay the shop 50 to 55 per houre meaning the tech that should be making that kind of money gets about 17 to 25 an houre depending on how fast he is and yes we have to be ase and icar certified we pay for estimating programs monthley frame machine updates pre scan and post scan on every car and materials go up 6% a year and we havent got a raise from insurance are anyone els in 20 years we cant evean find good techs because who wants to work for thouse wages when you have to be so certified and responsible for peoples lives if my repair fails you can die litturaly thats big do u still want someone only getting paid 17$ working on youre car and how do you get people to go to school for autobody knowing that they will never make good wages as long as insurance gets to pay what they want if i charge more than they say you would have to cover the additional cost good luck you will loose that job people stress enough an there deductable any was sorry got of track have it inspected by a icar certified shop and if the find anything hold the other shop accountable most lagit shops will take care of the problem if they did the repaires its a big liability if not good luck

Old 11-06-2021, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,163 times
let me start by saying we are highly regulated and highley under paid the car you mentioned should be up to specs if not go have it reinspected at another shop and have give you a print out of the frame mesurements
this proving youre point if it is frame damage if it was pannel replacement it should be obvious where the mistakes were made but i cant see that being youre problem with what u decribed the body shop busness sucks because of the insurance companies and the laws saying you have to have to have insurance everyone should have a choice if u want youre car covered then insure it if not then dont youre insurance would cover u and property damage other than another car in a accident the reason i say this is we are all getting scrued can u go to the store and tell them how much you will pay them for a gallon of milk ?
well youre insurance company does that to us in hawaii they only pay the shop 50 to 55 per houre meaning the tech that should be making that kind of money gets about 17 to 25 an houre depending on how fast he is and yes we have to be ase and icar certified we pay for estimating programs monthley frame machine updates pre scan and post scan on every car and materials go up 6% a year and we havent got a raise from insurance are anyone els in 20 years we cant evean find good techs because who wants to work for thouse wages when you have to be so certified and responsible for peoples lives if my repair fails you can die litturaly thats big do u still want someone only getting paid 17$ working on youre car and how do you get people to go to school for autobody knowing that they will never make good wages as long as insurance gets to pay what they want if i charge more than they say you would have to cover the additional cost good luck you will loose that job people stress enough an there deductable any was sorry got of track have it inspected by a icar certified shop and if the find anything hold the other shop accountable most lagit shops will take care of the problem if they did the repaires its a big liability if not good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii