Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 PM

17 posts, read 108,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Thanks, John. That puts a new light on things. I figured I could make a decent living there. I also was aware that you need one year experience to travel. I was just wondering if you had run into any travelers and how they were fairing. That med-surg patient to nurse ration is pretty good. I think I would love living in Hawaii. I have some friends in Kona that came from the mainland 5 years ago, and they love it. Yes, nursing is hard work anywhere you go, although I don't plan to spend the better part of my career in a hospital. I'm even contemplating going on to become a nurse practitioner. Thanks again.

I did travel nursing several years ago on Oahu, and it was absolutely the time of my life!! I met several other travel nurses while I was there. Altres staffing is one of the local travel companies. You won't make a lot of money, but you will be in Hawaii, and believe me, it won't matter!!......I am about to finish up my CRNA program, and I will be heading back to Hawaii with some other grads for a year or so!!! Can't Wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,559 times
Im a new grad here in Hawaii, and that's exactly the case (RE: getting a job isn't as easy as one would think d/t "nursing shortage")! A bunch of my classmates informed me of similar experiences where as they applied for various hospitals/positions and NO CALL. We continually hear of the nursing shortage... but landing a job isn't as easy as one would think. Maybe its just for new grads, not sure...

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John
hello! i have been contemplating on relocating to hawaii for the last year.. Im an ED nurse in jersey.. i did look into travel nursing but there were no available position in oahu which is where i would like to stay. where do you work? I heard of queens hospital when i visited hawaii 3 years ago. please give me information about the hospitals in hawaii and about finding an apartment.. i just wana pack my stuff and move there! but i know its much more complicated than that =) i would appreciate any advice you can give me.. thanks!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 PM

42 posts, read 185,234 times
lots of nursing job isn't meaning you can find a satisfactory job.sometimes,when requirement is much,salary is often low.which is similar with economic principle,which are the relation between requirement and supply.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,287 times
Default Nursing In Hawaii

Thanks for the great info you posted in 12/06, I have recently received my RN license from Florida and looking to move to Honolulu in the next 6 months. My husband is currently there now and I have been on the fence about it for a year. Is there still somewhat of a nursing shortage in Honolulu or sourrounding area; I looked at Queen's Hospital and it looked like they had a relocation incentive that would help, do you know much about their relocation programs.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 28,617 times
Default nursing/relocating to HI

I'd also be interested to know more about housing, relocation incentives offered by area hospitals, etc. I'm considering moving to HI for at least a year (no small children, husband, committments to worry about). I think it would be a great experience. I may decide to stay forever, but I agree, you can't judge how you'll like living in a city based on your vacation experiences. I've taken a career hiatus (away from the bedside for the past 4 years) but I have 20 years of nursing experience prior and I suspect a full time hospital job may offer adequate orientation to make me comfortable (along w/my own study efforts).
Are there furnished leases available for a long term 'temporary' situation? What rents could you expect for a 1-2 BR apartment? I may want a dog for company......I know that makes it more expensive. Also, can you exist w/o a car? Is it do'able? Is public transportation on time and dependable? Are some locations more convenient if you don't have a car? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,068 times
Default Hi

the best place to look for a rental is craigslist. it may not be all that is available, but it gives you an idea of what costs are like.

as far as nursing jobs go, you might have some compititon in hawaii since 150 to 200 nurses got layed off in sep. last month I was in las vegas and saw on the news that hospitals were laying off workers to. aparently, hospitals are having a hard time getting loans to cover expenses and there are many patients that come through the ER without insurance and hospitals end up footing the bill.

In my opinion, I think for the nursing industry, you should do some research on Houston. the have a huge medical industry and their economy is still pretty robust.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
OF COURSE there are nursing jobs in Hawaii, there is a nursing shortage everywhere.
sure the salaries are 30-40bucks an hour, but you can make that on the mainland.
that amount of money will NEVER buy a house in Hawaii. however, i make almost 30 on one job, and 35 on my second job, and i can buy a house here in my area for way under 50K. some are as cheap as 30K. if i want land, i can get a house on a few acres from anywhere around 50K to 80K. no such thing in Hawaii.
also keep in mind, it may be somewhat of a challenge to be accepted and trusted by the "locals". i worked briefly on Kauai. it was hell. left as soon as i could. (initially went because my sister lives there and has for 22 years)
if you have kids, remember the public schools are HORRIBLE. my sister's son graduated two years ago and his spelling and grammar are on the same level as mine was in junior high school!!
you have to REALLY want to live in Hawaii, accept that you will never own your own home, even if you work mega overtime (or have a trust fund or rich hubby), and are willing to sacrifice alot of things.
my short time there, was the ONLY time in my life where i had to actually do decision making in the grocery store about whether i REALLY wanted to spend x amount of dollars on that bag of lettuce.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,880 times
Actually at this time nursing jobs ARE NOT that easy to get in Hawaii. This is coming from someone who lives here. There used to be a nursing shortage here, but not so much anymore. With recent hospital layoffs, and at least 3 or 4 nursing programs putting out new grads...it's not that easy to get jobs here. But pay is pretty decent, and...it's paradise.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM

421 posts, read 2,534,190 times
When I was in Oahu in early November of this year I had asked a few of the locals about jobs because I'm also interested in relocating there. Most of the people I talked to said they don't like it when people move there without bringing something with them, i.e. jobs that are hard to find. Basically when I mentioned anything in the medical field most said they welcome those who have a medical background because that's what they need there the most. Like I said before, when I mentioned that I was a dentist looking to relocate to Hawaii their eyes lite up like a lightbulb! I would imagine anyone would relocating there would take a pay cut, but then again being in the cold weather up here in the northeast I'll take alittle bit of a pay cut for 75degree weather any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii