Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times

Advertisements

I would never eat at a restaurant that uses part of their profits to donate to organizations that oppose same sex marriages. Basically that means that I, in a small way, am supporting the opposition to same sex marriages. No, I'm not gay, but I have a family member who is, so I do not want to give my money to someone who is telling her who she can or can't love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I would never eat at a restaurant that uses part of their profits to donate to organizations that oppose same sex marriages. Basically that means that I, in a small way, am supporting the opposition to same sex marriages. No, I'm not gay, but I have a family member who is, so I do not want to give my money to someone who is telling her who she can or can't love.
I, OTOH,go out of my way to eat there just because their position on this issue because I oppose redefining our great institutions to satisfy the demands of tiny sliver of our population at the expense of the institution that is being perverted.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:39 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Although I find the CEO's religious fundamentalism unsavory, the overriding reason for me not to eat there is that it's a fast food franchise.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Although I find the CEO's religious fundamentalism unsavory, the overriding reason for me not to eat there is that it's a fast food franchise.
Do you object to the "fast food" or "franchise"?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I, OTOH,go out of my way to eat there just because their position on this issue because I oppose redefining our great institutions to satisfy the demands of tiny sliver of our population at the expense of the institution that is being perverted.
And which institution is it, exactly, that is being redefined? Does the Constitution define "marriage"? (BTW, in case you don't know, the answer is "NO"). Or do you think that the King James version of the Bible rules everyone in America?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"Does the Constitution define "marriage"?"

It does not. It was a state-rights issue until democrat Bill Clinton supported and signed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in 1996 which denied recognition of same-sex marriages and defined marriage to be between one man and one woman.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 AM

And in 2013 the Supreme Court overruled Section 3 and in 2015 the whole thing was overturned as being unconstitutional.

Is this what Open-D is referring to when he said "I oppose redefining our great institutions"? My question is -- what great institution is being redefined?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
And which institution is it, exactly, that is being redefined? Does the Constitution define "marriage"? (BTW, in case you don't know, the answer is "NO"). Or do you think that the King James version of the Bible rules everyone in America?
What an idiotic post.

The institution that is being redefined is "Marriage", which is obvious to anyone with half a lick of brains. Sorry you missed that point.

No, the Constitution doesn't define marriage, but then again, marriage is not a Federal issue, so it wouldn't be there, now would it.

Marriage has been "defined" by many centuries and countless generations of Western Civilization as a union, recognized by law and custom, of one man and one women - period. Not one man and his rabbit, or one man and two women, or one woman, one man, and a boy, or any other combination of people, animals etc.

As far as the King James Bible, or the Burger King Bible, or whatever Bible, as an agnostic, the Bible plays little, if any, role in my life.

Looks like you wiffed out, but thanks for the cool breeze or your swing-and-a-miss(es).

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What an idiotic post.

The institution that is being redefined is "Marriage", which is obvious to anyone with half a lick of brains. Sorry you missed that point.

No, the Constitution doesn't define marriage, but then again, marriage is not a Federal issue, so it wouldn't be there, now would it.

Marriage has been "defined" by many centuries and countless generations of Western Civilization as a union, recognized by law and custom, of one man and one women - period. Not one man and his rabbit, or one man and two women, or one woman, one man, and a boy, or any other combination of people, animals etc.

As far as the King James Bible, or the Burger King Bible, or whatever Bible, as an agnostic, the Bible plays little, if any, role in my life.

Looks like you wiffed out, but thanks for the cool breeze or your swing-and-a-miss(es).
It's idiotic to call that post idiotic, and ignorantly offensive to equate same sex marriage with the other practices you mentioned.

Of course Dreaming recognized marriage was at issue, hence the reference to it. You say marriage has been recognized by law and custom for centuries-guess what? Laws and customs change. His/her point was that the law is allowed to change because marriage is not defined in the Constitution.

Customs change too, usually for the better. Racism, sexism, homophobia and more all were culturally accepted not too long ago. I recently revisited the movie "Saturday Night Fever" and saw all of them on display in this movie from-the 70's?

BTW, Clinton did not "support" DOMA, he thought it was a bad idea.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Open-D, I just love your way of having a discussion. If someone asks you a question or states a point of view different from yours, your response is to call that person names. SIGH. I guess that's how things are in America these days. I could respond by calling you silly names, but I refuse to lower myself to your level.

The whole "institution" of marriage being only between a man and a woman that you are so vehement about comes from the Bible. So, even though you are agnostic, you are strongly supporting a belief rooted in religion. Can you explain that?

Bottom line is, who cares if two men or two women love each other enough that they want to commit themselves to marriage? How does that concern you? If there was more love and less hate in this world, it would be a much better place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii