Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I'm not clear on where this is exactly. I'll probably check it out and take some pics if I can find it.
It's by the water and next to a cultivated field.

It's on the northwestern side of the island. Go to Bing map birds eye view. Locate the row of trees running east, west separating two farm fields. Just north of there, there is a small 'island' of trees jutting out into the field. That area is in the background of the second photo and featured in the third and fourth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Wow, Auggie, you rock. Those pictures are amazing. Yes, I also have a Jacob Shelley in my family tree. Is anyone here related to Carl Shelley of Harrisburg? He is my grandfather. The original Shelley on the island that I am related to is Daniel Shelley (there are at least 2, tho I believe the name may have carried down to further generations). One was hanged on the island for being a spy for the Tories in the Revolutionary War. Cool, huh?

Does anyone know why the center of the island has been cleared?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Default Shelley Island

The center of the island was cleared for farming. The farmhouse is long gone, but there is a school house still standing.
My husband and I will be going to the island to take pictures of the graveyard and stones. Anxious to add them to my family history. My grandmother was a Shelley that came from the line who owned the island. I've been doing research for years and have had contact with relatives all over the country. A few of us cousins are starting to plan a Shelley reunion.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,690 times
Dear Shellymartin. The Shelly family is still in wayne county ohio and was an important part in the history of the county. If you need or would like any info please let me know as I still live here.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,533 times
DonnaKay,
Hi, I am new to the area (from MD), and am an avid history enthusiast. I too wish to venture out to the island, to photograph & chart the cemeteries. Have you made it out there yet? Can anyone boat out to the island, or is it private? Thanks for any help. ~Jana

Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

52 posts, read 286,403 times
Janad anyone can venture out to the island anytime as it is also considered a day use island, Picnic area on East Shore of island so pack a lunch if your going. Plus to add the residents on the island are very friendly. Hate to say I sold my cabin earlier this year but still venture out to visit friends. Ask Denny Moore about the history there he's around lot 19ish right by the grave yards he'll talk your ear off but worth it, life time resident out there.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM

52 posts, read 286,403 times
Ttt

Old 03-24-2023, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 1,522 times
Default Shelly Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaKay View Post
The center of the island was cleared for farming. The farmhouse is long gone, but there is a school house still standing.
My husband and I will be going to the island to take pictures of the graveyard and stones. Anxious to add them to my family history. My grandmother was a Shelley that came from the line who owned the island. I've been doing research for years and have had contact with relatives all over the country. A few of us cousins are starting to plan a Shelley reunion.
Hi DonnaKay! Wondering if you had your Shelley Reunion. We had a Shelly/Shelley Reunion in Tionesta in the Allegheny Natl Forest, at the Flying W Dude Ranch. Were you by any chance at that Reunion? I can't remember the year. Most of the elders have passed on. I'm in the York, PA area.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleymartin View Post
Thank you so much for the pictures. I have a Michael Shelly in my family tree who was born on Shelley Island June 30, 1811. Not sure when he left the island, but he died in Wayne County, Ohio in 1891. Maybe he left after his consort died. I could not read the year of her death from the picture. If you can find anymore legible Shelly stones, I would appreciate any information. I am from the Midwest. Mod cut - please do not post e-mail addresses. Use the DM feature. Thanks so much!
Hi Shelley Martin! I know we're Shelly/Shelley cousins, as my MGM was a Shelly. I remember my Mother's peaking about Newton Shelly. It may have been my MGM's father or GF. My Shelly cousins are planning a trip to Shelly's Island in May 2023. I've been there once during a Reunion in the later 1990's. It's very different since I was there. Vandalism, and floods have taken their role on the headstones. Age hasn't treated them well either. I hope to hear from you, so that I can update you on the trip to the Island. Would be neat to FaceTime to show you the actual headstones and the school house. I keep seeing that it is still there.

Marcia Forbes

Old 03-24-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie2612 View Post
Janad anyone can venture out to the island anytime as it is also considered a day use island, Picnic area on East Shore of island so pack a lunch if your going. Plus to add the residents on the island are very friendly. Hate to say I sold my cabin earlier this year but still venture out to visit friends. Ask Denny Moore about the history there he's around lot 19ish right by the grave yards he'll talk your ear off but worth it, life time resident out there.
Auggie,

Do you still visit friends on the Island? My friend Wendy has a place there. My MGM was a Shelly, and we had a Shelly/Shelley Reunion quite awhile ago. Mr. Huntsberger took a whole gang of us over to the Island on his barge. It was a site to see with the elders scattered about on plastic lawn chairs! My cousins are planning a trip to the Island in May 2023. Perhaps we'll see you there! Thank you for honoring the Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area