Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 02:17 PM

722 posts, read 598,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
And I see there's also a C-town supermarket in the center of town and, in the suburbs, a large Wegman's and a Whole Foods. (I'd be OK living without those last two, though I do like them.)
We have cars and I will admit to many a hop out to Whole Foods and Wegman's.

If, lacking a car, you're really jonesing for a hit of either, each can be easily reached on city bus line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 11:51 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
We have cars and I will admit to many a hop out to Whole Foods and Wegman's.

If, lacking a car, you're really jonesing for a hit of either, each can be easily reached on city bus line.
That is great -- anyone would like to hit those two occasionally. How does a thoroughly American city manage such a European layout and scale? Guess it's an accident of history and a smart city hall over the years.

Another PA city that gets placed in this league (with high retiree scores) is Harrisburg. Very pretty, but I've heard it's grittier and more trouble without a private car. Maybe nice for a day trip via Amtrak, but live in Lancaster?

Old 11-25-2023, 02:38 PM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
I read that about Harrisburg too, both those things, that it's nice but also not-that-nice. I'm not familiar enough with it to know. I have gone there on multiple occasions for live music or the airport (still want to get over to see the Civil War Museum), but I don't feel like I've seen enough of it to have a whole picture. The riverfront is very cool looking with those arched bridges. On the subject of grocery stores, Harrisburg (or at least near Harrisburg) got a Trader Joe's fairly recently. I do wish they'd opted to open it in Lancaster instead, but, hey, lucky for the Harrisburgers!

Old 11-26-2023, 09:59 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
On the subject of grocery stores, Harrisburg (or at least near Harrisburg) got a Trader Joe's fairly recently. I do wish they'd opted to open it in Lancaster instead, but, hey, lucky for the Harrisburgers!
I like TJ's too. They have some kind of magic demographic formula (urban population, rates of post-HS education, income) for opening new stores. State College made the cut, and now Harrisburg. Hopefully, Lancaster will too in the next few years!

Old 12-18-2023, 05:27 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
And I see there's also a C-town supermarket in the center of town and, in the suburbs, a large Wegman's and a Whole Foods. (I'd be OK living without those last two, though I do like them.) I imagine tourists are much reduced in number in the winter, but no complaints from me about them: Tourism is an important reason for so many amenities in Lancaster City. It's all good -- I'll bet you can even walk to jury duty. I'll definitely check everything out once the cold weather is over.

Thanks so much for your informative posts. They're better than many travelogues!
At the end of the day, Lancaster city is great, but it's limited, esp with the whole grocery store issue. You will want to buy your groceries at Giant, Wegman's or Costco at some point. C-Town doesn't have much variety and it's customers are certainly low income.

Eventually you will want to drive to places in the nearby suburb of Manheim Township, which is directly north of Lancaster city. Don't get me wrong, Lancaster city is awesome, but I do think you will get the itch to visit places in Manheim Township nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area