Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:40 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times

Advertisements

Just curious about the area and wonder if anyone has an idea on which city/metro York county is tied into more; Philadelphia or Baltimore/DC. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 04:55 AM

236 posts, read 251,276 times
Baltimore

Old 07-17-2020, 06:00 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Ok thanks. Thought York people would look more towards Philadelphia than Baltimore. Besides sports teams, which I know Ravens fans outnumber Eagles fans, as does Steelers fans.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
York leans more towards Baltimore than Philly by a large margin, as York is only 15 miles from the Baltimore County line. However, the city leans more towards Harrisburg than it does to Bmore.

In a nutshell, York County from I-83 exit 10 south to MD Line - more Baltimore oriented. York County from I-83 exit 10 on north - more Harrisburg oriented. York City starts at about exit 14.

York definitely has some big city bones. However, until it's airport is upgraded to be on par with say Lancaster, Williamsport, Altoona or Hagerstown it will be though of more as a suburb than a central city.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 PM

29 posts, read 48,378 times
Do people with cable get Batimore tv stations in southern York county?

Old 07-18-2020, 05:31 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
Quote:
Do people with cable get Batimore tv stations in southern York county?
Yes, I believe so. They have access to 1 or 2 Baltimore-area stations and of course Harrisburg/Central PA stations. It's no different that say Cecil County, MD having stations for both Philadelphia and Baltimore.

The reason why York leans closer to Harrisburg is that albeit the southern portion of the county growing slightly faster than the northern portion, northern York County has a more moderate density of homes and offices, versus the southern portion of the county than is very low density with minimal areas of businesses and employment. In addition, there is a solid 30 miles of semi-rural low density development between York and Hunt Valley/Cockeysville.

Last edited by santafe400; 07-18-2020 at 05:39 AM..

Old 08-09-2020, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 51,572 times
I live in York and have Comcast Xfinity cable and we get both Baltimore and Harrisburg local channels. I would agree that York skews more towards Baltimore, however, Harrisburg is actually closer.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 9,751 times
I agree that York is a bit more "Harrisburg" than "Baltimore", but as far as big cities go, I'd say Baltimore by a mile. If the Ravens/Orioles flags don't give it away, the billboards for crab cakes will!

Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 PM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
York leans more towards Baltimore than Philly by a large margin, as York is only 15 miles from the Baltimore County line. However, the city leans more towards Harrisburg than it does to Bmore.

In a nutshell, York County from I-83 exit 10 south to MD Line - more Baltimore oriented. York County from I-83 exit 10 on north - more Harrisburg oriented. York City starts at about exit 14.

York definitely has some big city bones. However, until it's airport is upgraded to be on par with say Lancaster, Williamsport, Altoona or Hagerstown it will be though of more as a suburb than a central city.
Huh? What does its airport have to do with anything?

York has always been the smallest, most blue-collar, and least developed of the Harrisburg-York-Lancaster area. I think its downtown has some good bones but for many reasons Lancaster and Harrisburg are just more attractive for uban living. I don't think the airport makes the slightest difference.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:59 PM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Yes, I believe so. They have access to 1 or 2 Baltimore-area stations and of course Harrisburg/Central PA stations. It's no different that say Cecil County, MD having stations for both Philadelphia and Baltimore.

The reason why York leans closer to Harrisburg is that albeit the southern portion of the county growing slightly faster than the northern portion, northern York County has a more moderate density of homes and offices, versus the southern portion of the county than is very low density with minimal areas of businesses and employment. In addition, there is a solid 30 miles of semi-rural low density development between York and Hunt Valley/Cockeysville.
The northern part of York county associates more with Harrisburg then its county-seat, York, which is kind of interesting. The northern part of the county is only a few miles from Harrisburg and is a bedroom community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area