Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2023, 01:55 PM

971 posts, read 688,204 times

Advertisements

Last week my ex fil died. I haven't talked to him or his wife for 10 years or so, at the wishes of my ex wife and her new husband. I didn't go the the funeral and I have been waiting for the smoke clear before I sneek over to where he's buried to pay my respects. I am not sure how her family would react if they caught me at his grave. I wasn't painted in a good picture years ago to make what she did not look so bad on her part and I am not sure how her siblings feel about me.

I would love to send my ex mother in law a sympathy card but am torn on what to do. They loved and supported me when their daughter left for the guy she's married to now. But I really don't want to cause any problems with her or her family. It's sad to know he died and was buried and I have to sit back and not be a part of it. I guess that part of being an ex, but it doesn't mean it any easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I would visit his grave if you like and I would for sure send a sympathy card. Just sign it and drive on. It will give you some closure, and it may mean a lot to his wife. I'd personally wait a few weeks though. The first two weeks is a blur.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:35 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Waiting a bit to visit the grave is a good idea. You don't want to run into each other.

Absolutely send a card and write a personal note. I cherished every one that I received after my husband died.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Respecting the wishes of everyone in an ex-relationship can be tricky. If you have children, they lost their grandpa. That could be the first death they've had to deal with and as the other parent, you can help provide them with emotional support. Later I would send a card to their grandma.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:37 AM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Do send a card, especially comforting is the memory you had of him, the memories of them as a couple. The 2 cards I did receive telling me of what they remember of Bruce was so special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning