Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2024, 09:09 AM

28 posts, read 21,041 times

Advertisements

Curious about options, prices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 06:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
The only fiber I know of for certain in the upstate is Piedmont Rural Telephone. I have it at my house.. I've always figured it was a government grant that got that put in down here. Providing internet to rural areas..

Technically, I believe Charter/Spectrum does have some limited.. Not sure if they lease space, if it's their own lines or what.

I'd have to believe there's others, especially around the downtown area. Hopefully someone can educate both of us.. I'm rather curious as to the fiber options myself.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:53 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,670 times
AT&T has had fiber service out in Simpsonville, Five Forks & Mauldin area for several years now. I thought their service was pretty widespread in the Greenville area, but I don't know that for sure. I've been happy with AT&T. Nice to have synchronous connection while working from home.

Wow Fiber also came through a good chunk of the Five Forks area a few months ago burying new fiber lines. Not sure how widespread their deployment is. The service isn't active at my address yet, website says next month so I guess I'll have another choice at some point.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:03 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only fiber I know of for certain in the upstate is Piedmont Rural Telephone. I have it at my house.. I've always figured it was a government grant that got that put in down here. Providing internet to rural areas..
In Laurens County, it was also the favorable economics of a cooperative where profits can be plowed back into infrastructure instead of dumping it all on a CEO. The fiber ring backbone was financed in the early days by the AT&T cellular tower partnership - where they needed to have reliable service to towers. There may have been a grant involved somewhere also but the majority of fiber to the house could be supported by traditional business payback.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:06 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
In Laurens County, it was also the favorable economics of a cooperative where profits can be plowed back into infrastructure instead of dumping it all on a CEO. The fiber ring backbone was financed in the early days by the AT&T cellular tower partnership - where they needed to have reliable service to towers. There may have been a grant involved somewhere also but the majority of fiber to the house could be supported by traditional business payback.

They sent me mailers on it about 3 years or so ago and.. After the hell of Charter/Spectrum which would go down at least once a week (To be fair, they have a maintenance window at 2am weekly, but still).. I jumped at it.

Not only that, but the fact that I sit on a slab of granite out here and lightning would hit and take out charters lines and because there are only about 6 people on my road, it'd take them a week to fix it when that happened..

PRTC's fiber has been rock solid. I haven't seen an outage that I've identified as such in all that time. I've lost power to my house and still had internet (Battery backups on the router).. I've had a few bumps, but they've resolved so quickly that I wasn't able to even tell if it was an 'outage' with me or the site I was trying to contact.

Charter's fiber MIGHT be business only.. Not sure about that.

Old Today, 02:35 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,101 times
I’ve had AT&T fiber internet for a couple of years now. No complaints whatever. Very satisfied. I’m in Greenville near Mauldin. I did not like Spectrum at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area