Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:37 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times

Advertisements

Went to eat at The Loop for lunch yesterday at Thruway shopping center. After eating, I strolled the strip to see what was there. Honestly was a sad shopping destination. Nothing like it use to be. I use to always think of Thruway being Winston's equivalent to Greensboro's friendly center. now it appears to be far from it . With Trader Joe's being the only real drawl there to go to, it seems more like it's the equivalent to the Brassfield shopping center. I was tempted to go to Deweys for a pink lemonade cake square ( for old times sake) but after walking in, I suddenly wasn't in the mood for one. Almost seemed like the bakery is an after thought now, with all the other merchandise they selling. The strip had a new tanning salon, but wish it had some of the exciting stores that use to be there. I really wouldn't be surprised if in 20 or 30 years the strip gets redone as an upscale mixed use apt building. Would be better to see an apt complex with a few stores like trader Joe's there instead of what the current state of the strip is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 01:52 PM

80 posts, read 69,311 times
What "exciting" stores has Thruway lost? I genuinely can't think of any. I mean they lost Stein Mart, but that's hardly exciting. Thruway isn't Friendly, but it's not Brassfield either (not that there's anything wrong with Brassfield).

Edit to add - Palm Beach Tanning salon has been there for like 20 years. When was the last time you were there?

Old 03-11-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
What "exciting" stores has Thruway lost? I genuinely can't think of any. I mean they lost Stein Mart, but that's hardly exciting. Thruway isn't Friendly, but it's not Brassfield either (not that there's anything wrong with Brassfield).
That was a good Stein Mart, always thought it was better then the Greensboro one! I liked going into the plow and hearth store. They had lots of neat garden decor.. wonder what will go in its former spot. Also miss the Fox and the Hound restaurant. And I think at one time they had a Kirklands home decore store!

Old 03-11-2024, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 69,311 times
I liked Stein Mart too, but unfortunately they don't operate brick and mortar stores any longer. I always found great deals on shoes there. Fox and Hound was distinctive but overpriced in my opinion. It's been gone for a long time too, I'd say around 15 years. Sounds like you really want a decor store in Thruway! Thruway overall seems pretty similar to what it's always been to me, but I'm open to hearing I've missed something.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
I liked Stein Mart too, but unfortunately they don't operate brick and mortar stores any longer. I always found great deals on shoes there. Fox and Hound was distinctive but overpriced in my opinion. It's been gone for a long time too, I'd say around 15 years. Sounds like you really want a decor store in Thruway! Thruway overall seems pretty similar to what it's always been to me, but I'm open to hearing I've missed something.

just feels like there's more Health /beauty stores then actually store to shop at. Examples

c Distinctive eyewear, club Pilates, cell phone repair, fast med, FedEx office, hand and stone, good feet store, twin city nail lounge, van Davis avera, vio med spa... Just not a lot of stores to actually shop at for merchandise

Old 03-11-2024, 07:30 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
just feels like there's more Health /beauty stores then actually store to shop at. Examples

c Distinctive eyewear, club Pilates, cell phone repair, fast med, FedEx office, hand and stone, good feet store, twin city nail lounge, van Davis avera, vio med spa... Just not a lot of stores to actually shop at for merchandise
Here's a directory for the center:https://thruwaycenter.com/directory/

Obviously its subjective, but it looks like there are plenty of merchandise store options imo, 25 or so...

Old 03-11-2024, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 985 times
Many of the stores in Thruway are also at Friendly Center, including multiple clothing stores albeit mostly those are skewed towards female shoppers. Unsure what the purpose of the post was. Quite befuddling…

Old 03-12-2024, 10:47 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, Soma Intimates, White House Black Market, JCrew, Athleta, Lululemon, Talbot's, Sephora, Kilwin's, Francesca's and New Balance are all upper tier specialty retailers so it's not exactly in bad shape despite the OP's intent.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:16 PM

In my opinion what retail stores are there are all geared toward older clientale.Thruway could at least have a book store, bath and body works, and some stores geared towards younger clientale. Especially with the norm of work from home..I dont expect stores like Jos A banks and Talbots to be hitting sales margins like they use too, when people had to be in an office majority of the time. I just wish they had more store to cater to the 25-50ish crowds . Especially with the way Hanes Malls getting. Wish some of the name brand store in Hanes Mall would move on over to Thruway

Old 03-12-2024, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 985 times
There was plenty of space at the west end of the center for tenants like a bookstore & the like. However, Golf Galaxy is relocating from one of the strip centers at the mall & taking all that square footage. They still have a few vacant spaces for perhaps some of the retailers from Hanes Mall to perhaps find a new home.

I was surprised that Champion opened a free standing store apart from the Hanesbrands megastore on the lower level. I’m guessing they wanted to differentiate the athletic leisure brand from the basic commodity brands that make up the rest of Hanesbrands.

Last edited by CamelCityZalo; 03-12-2024 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point