Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2024, 06:33 AM

120 posts, read 139,771 times

Advertisements

Considering the Jamestown area for a move and wondering what the differences are, financially and services-wise, between being in Jamestown city limits or living just outside the city limits. Can anyone advise on the differences, or pros and cons, of each location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 07:11 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Obviously taxes will be higher inside. Other differences vary...availability of water/sewer services, police, parks, zoning, trash pickup, etc. It depends on exactly where you are outside the town limits and how important the Town's services are to you.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:19 AM

How does it depend on exactly where you are outside the town limits? Are there different tiers of services depending on how far out you are, or is it that you're either IN or OUT of the city limits? And is the Jamestown address but not in the city just for postal service uses, or are there any other attachments to having a Jamestown address but not being in the city limits?

I guess what I'm asking is HOW they vary. I know they vary, I'm just trying to figure out in what way.

Last edited by periwinkle06; 03-10-2024 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-10-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
How does it depend on exactly where you are outside the town limits? Are there different tiers of services depending on how far out you are, or is it that you're either IN or OUT of the city limits? And is the Jamestown address but not in the city just for postal service uses, or are there any other attachments to having a Jamestown address but not being in the city limits?

I guess what I'm asking is HOW they vary. I know they vary, I'm just trying to figure out in what way.
No tiers, you're either in or out. There's no way to really generalize about it, it depends on the specific house. Some towns offer water and sewer to non-residents, at a higher cost. Others don't have any water and sewer available beyond their corporate limits and you'd have to be on well and septic if outside the town. Police and fire services vary...I don't know the details of what Jamestown offers. Outside the town you may be served by a volunteer fire department as opposed to the town's fire department. You may not have a fire hydrant outside town, in which case your homeowners insurance will be higher. Again, there are many variables, its not cut and dried and simple, unfortunately.

If I had to summarize, here are some of the potential differences:

Water and sewer versus well and septic
County sheriff versus town police (response time may vary)
Town fire department versus volunteer (response time may vary)
Town zoning versus county zoning
Trash and recycling pickup included in town taxes versus paying extra to a private company for pickup

Old 03-10-2024, 02:34 PM

Thank you for all this, but as I said above in my second post, I realize there are differences in services provided by different municipalities. I'm trying to get info on how it works for Jamestown, specifically.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
Thank you for all this, but as I said above in my second post, I realize there are differences in services provided by different municipalities. I'm trying to get info on how it works for Jamestown, specifically.
I'm sorry I wasn't able top provide you with the information you seek. I don't think there are any regular posters on here who are intimately familiar with the very small town of Jamestown and the array of municipal services it offers, and expecting that may not be realistic. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:21 PM

One other point to keep in mind is that Jamestown virtually abuts both High Point and G'boro, so there is very little area left that isn't in one of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: