Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,054,412 times

Advertisements

So just out of curiosity, I did a little searching to see if such a thread previously existed. I did not find it though I did find a few individual threads on individual breweries (interesting that Wise Man was originally slated for Greensboro... they're one of my favorites in the area).

Incendiary Brewery just opened in Winston-Salem within the last month or so and looks to have a cool spot. That puts us up to about a dozen or so.... not bad, but you'd think the area would have a few more. Off the top of my head, we have....

Greensboro:
Pig Pounder
Preyer
Joymongers
Gibbs Hundred
Little Brother
Natty Greene's (the tasting room, the brewpub, and the facility in Revolution Mill)
Leveneleven (I have yet to go)

Winston-Salem
Wise Man
Fiddlin' Fish
Foothills (Tasting Mill and Brewpub)
Incendiary
Joymongers Barrel Hall (Haven't made it here yet either)

High Point
Brown Truck
Liberty (OK, kind of a stretch including them since they're really more of a restaurant)

In doing some other quick research, Kernersville has a place called Gypsy Road which will brew their own beer, but for now they're beer from guest taps. I may have missed a place or two as well. Our personal favorites are Pig Pounder and Wise Man.

I'd love to see High Point snag another brewery or two. If I recall, the stadium project was slated to include one, but I haven't heard much about it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 AM

37 posts, read 48,092 times
Two more to add to your list:

Greensboro
Bark Brewing Company (in Fat Dog's Grille)

Winston-Salem
Small Batch Brewing Company

Joymonger's has the best set-up for grabbing a pint and chilling and they have a wide variety of styles. However, I think Little Brother Brewing has the best beer in Greensboro. I haven't been to Leveneleven either but I tried their Tropical Stout at the Summertime Brews Fest and it was fantastic.

I haven't made it to the Winston-Salem breweries but the Foothills People's Porter and Sexual Chocolate Stout are !

Here's a list of possible upcoming breweries in NC:
https://www.ncbeerguys.com/nc-brewer...s-coming-soon/

Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
This is the most worthwhile thread we've had on here in quite a while! :-)

Add Hoots in Winston-Salem to the list. A little difficult to find, but their beers are excellent and the bar is quaintly cool. Worth seeking out, and while you're there you should work in a meal at the Porch Cantina located next door.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:35 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,054,412 times
I definitely forgot about Hoots and Small Batch (I've even been to Small Batch a couple times). Bark is a new one for me. I'll have to check it out. Same for Hoot's (just haven't made it there yet).

Before we moved here, I used to buy People's Porter all the time! When I learned Foothills was from this area upon moving, they were my first brewery stop. Pretty cool place, but their beer is hit or miss to me. Some are really good. Many of them I don't care for.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Good list working, so far.

To update your original post:

Greensboro:
Pig Pounder
Preyer
Joymongers
Gibbs Hundred
Little Brother
Natty Greene's (the tasting room, the brewpub, and the facility in Revolution Mill)
Leveneleven
Bark (inside Fat Dog)

Winston-Salem
Wise Man
Fiddlin' Fish
Foothills (Tasting Mill and Brewpub)
Incendiary
Joymongers Barrel Hall
Hoots
Small Batch

High Point
Brown Truck
Liberty

Kernersville
Gypsy Road

And I'll add a couple more:
There's a brewery called The Other Side of the Moon next door to Full Moon Oyster Bar in Kernersville. Same owners, but separate company, as I understand it.

Also, a place called Kernersville Brewing Company is in the works in Kernersville. They're already brewing and have done tap takeovers at Lowes Foods and other places in the area, but haven't opened their own taproom yet, as I understand it.

Westbend Winery in Lewisville also has a brewery, which shares a tasting room with the winery and has had 6-8 beers on tap when I've visited. I like their beer better than their wine.

And if you push the Triad boundaries to include Red Oak over in Whitsett, White Elephant in Mt. Airy, Skull Camp up between Mt. Airy and Elkin, etc., you get more.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
There's a brewery called The Other Side of the Moon next door to Full Moon Oyster Bar in Kernersville. Same owners, but separate company, as I understand it.

Full Moon is in Clemmons, not Kernersville. A good call-out though...I didn't think of them. The bar side is very tiny, and mostly serves as a waiting room for people eating at the oyster bar. The few beers I've tried there were okay, not great, but not bad either. Hope it gets better, and it would be nice if they expanded to improve the brewery/bar experience.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Red Oak, anyone? It's probably not, technically, in the Triad area, but it's close enough.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
I'm a big fan of foothills. Had it at the folk festival. Some of the best beer I've had in the area.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Foothills is okay, and they get big props for being the first brewery to open in WS. Their beers tend to lean too far to the hoppy side for me, which seems to be the trendy thing to do for lots of breweries. Not a big fan of IPAs and other hops-laden styles. I can drink them given no better choice, but I much prefer more malty brews like porters, dunkels, English ales, and European wheat beers. No, not the watered-down-for-Americans wheat beers like Blue Moon, but hearty ones like Weihenstephaner, Julius Echter, Hacker-Pschorr, etc. Most local breweries don't go down that road very often.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Red Oak, anyone? It's probably not, technically, in the Triad area, but it's close enough.
Good call...its in Guilford County so definitely Triad. Love their Helles Lager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point