Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 AM

511 posts, read 510,494 times

Advertisements

So this highway would be given an even number prefix even though it doesn't connect back to the original route? It wouldn't be a loop but it's not really a spur either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
So this highway would be given an even number prefix even though it doesn't connect back to the original route? It wouldn't be a loop but it's not really a spur either.
I think even number prefixes are assigned to east to west interstates and odd number prefixes are assigned to north to south interstates. I could be mistaken. If its a 3 digit interstate, the last two numbers will be either 85 or 95 since the corridor would connect to both I-85 and I-95. I would rather it be 95 because it would only get confusing in Greensboro. The city will already have I-785 on the loop from Greensboro to Danville, VA. It would make more economic sense to use 95 as the last two digits anyway because I-95 is a major corridor the goes up and down the east coast.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think even number prefixes are assigned to east to west interstates and odd number prefixes are assigned to north to south interstates. I could be mistaken. If its a 3 digit interstate, the last two numbers will be either 85 or 95 since the corridor would connect to both I-85 and I-95. I would rather it be 95 because it woul only get confusing in Greensboro. The city will already have I-785.
You're right about that, but I mean the first number. Roads that start with even numbers connect back to their original route. So 840 will connect back to 40 to complete the loop. But an odd number first like 785 doesn't connect back to 85. You see what I'm saying?

Edit: Sorry, I misread what you said. Even numbers are east-west (40), odd numbers are north-south (95), but the prefixes are the exception.

So since this proposed road connects 95 and 85 but doesn't connect back, will it get an even or odd prefix?

Last edited by thebermudatriad; 08-04-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
You're right about that, but I mean the first number. Roads that start with even numbers connect back to their original route. So 840 will connect back to 40 to complete the loop. But an odd number first like 785 doesn't connect back to 85. You see what I'm saying?

Edit: Sorry, I misread what you said. Even numbers are east-west (40), odd numbers are north-south (95), but the prefixes are the exception.

So since this proposed road connects 95 and 85 but doesn't connect back, will it get an even or odd prefix?
I would say an odd number since both I-85 and I-95 are north south interstates. There are some examples though of loops that have odd numbers. I-540 in Raleigh seems to be an exception for some reason because its designated with am odd number.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Well, whichever it is, odd or even, I hope they choose to name it I-X95. With 95 being the longest north-south interstate in the country, it would be good marketing for Greensboro to have a direct connection to it.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM

As of today it's not an official plan but I think the state will approve it. There are already several new interstate "spurs" in the eastern part of the state and the eastern Raleigh area. It certainly will benefit Greensboro and the mega sites along the corridor. And I agree it needs to be I-X95. I would love to see Greensboro have a 95 designation. In terms of roadways, Greensboro is already the crossroads of North Carolina and that new interstate would solidify that.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There are some examples though of loops that have odd numbers. I-540 in Raleigh seems to be an exception for some reason because its designated with am odd number.
I-540 was originally supposed to become I-640 once the whole loop is built, but when NCDOT applied for the (now defunct) I-495 designation for US-64 in 2013, it meant that I-540 connected to another interstate sooner than expected. Rather than change numbers, NCDOT requested a waiver from the FHWA to keep the I-540 designation rather than change the signs. The waiver was granted.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I-540 was originally supposed to become I-640 once the whole loop is built, but when NCDOT applied for the (now defunct) I-495 designation for US-64 in 2013, it meant that I-540 connected to another interstate sooner than expected. Rather than change numbers, NCDOT requested a waiver from the FHWA to keep the I-540 designation rather than change the signs. The waiver was granted.
That explains it. I had always wondered why The prfeix on Raleigh's outer loop has an odd number.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 PM

185 posts, read 199,121 times
I'm all for getting around the cities quicker and it would be especially nice to get to Roanoke from Greensboro in a shorter time frame.. just hope they don't ever toll roads!!! Hopefully they learned their lesson with that a stupid one in rdu ;( p.s. I had a question for u gsoboi posted in the downtown gsoboi post. Please read and answer if u can. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:14 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
I'm all for getting around the cities quicker and it would be especially nice to get to Roanoke from Greensboro in a shorter time frame
Tell that to Virginia. Southwestern VA usually gets screwed when it comes to transportation funding. The state has no interest in I-73.

Quote:
.. just hope they don't ever toll roads!!!
Not gonna happen. Existing free interstates cannot be tolled. Toll lanes can be added, but the existing lanes that are free have to remain free. Tolls on I-73 in VA wouldn't work anyway since traffic would simply avoid the tolls by sticking with US-220, which would be parallel to I-73. None of I-73 in NC is planned to be tolled. The only state that was seriously considering tolling I-73 was South Carolina, but they ruled that out, IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point