Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times

Advertisements

I was thinking there should be a separate thread for development discussion in and around Winston-Salem, so I'm going to get it started with a few project updates. I hope everyone will feel free to add development updates for and comments about the Twin City.

Quote:
What that banner at the 42,000-square-foot building at 505 N. Liberty St. signifies is that work will begin soon on turning the facility into the central piece for an elite national cycling training site.
Winston-Salem facility has banner, but what does 'National Cycling Center' mean? - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

[

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-18-2017 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: copyright photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Bridge ideas for the Creative Corridors project through downtown were presented recently and appeared in the Journal. These ideas are for the downtown bridges that are involved in upgrading the highways to interstate status. They will be seen as gateways into downtown from different directions around the city.
Over to the future: Bridge designs aim to capture city aspirations - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

Quote:
The Business 40 project involves updating and streamlining the freeway by eliminating some of the ramps and lengthening the ones that remain. The state is footing the bill for the basic improvements, but is leaving the door open to the city to make artistic enhancements to bridge designs and other freeway elements.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 05-27-2015, 05:50 PM

NBA, Wake Forest star Chris Paul partners with D1 Sports on Winston-Salem sports facility - Triad Business Journal

Quote:
Chris Paul, a former standout player at Wake Forest University who now plays in the NBA, has partnered with D1 Sports Training & Therapy on the company's new Winston-Salem location. Scheduled to open in June, D1 Winston-Salem will become the Nashville, Tenn.-based firm's 29th location and offer a range of sports training and physical therapy and rehabilitation.

D1 Winston-Salem will be housed in the 43,000-square-foot former home of floral products wholesaler Raper's at 1901 Mooney St. near Hanes Mall. Building permits indicate that the facility was undergoing a $1.1 million makeover.

D1 Matthews opened in the Charlotte suburb in January 2014 with Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith (formerly with the Charlotte Panthers) as its sports partner.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Buckle up: Winston-Salem's Northern Beltway work picking up speed - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

Quote:
This first segment of the beltway will become an extension of Interstate 74 when complete. U.S. 311 between Winston-Salem and High Point was designated as I-74 last year. The entire eastern leg of the beltway from that freeway to U.S. 52 at Stanleyville will become I-74.

A $1.5 billion highway bond being promoted by Gov. Pat McCrory would provide enough money to finish the eastern leg of the beltway and build two sections of the western leg of the future beltway.
This section of the beltway will be a 30 mile loop around the North side of the city and will be 3 lanes in each direction. It also includes room for a 4th lane on each side for future expansion.

Land grading for the I-74 Northern Beltway, looking south from Old Belews Creek Road. Grading work is happening from Business 40 north to US 158:
Buckle up: Winston-Salem's Northern Beltway work picking up speed - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 PM

A recent NYT article about the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter...it's great for the city to get such positive press in a prestigious newspaper: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/re...-salem-nc.html

Quote:
Skylights and spacious interior atriums open the dark, early 20th-century, multistory concrete factory buildings. The $517.5 million development also features new construction to house state-of-the art biomedical laboratories and classrooms. In all, the Innovation Quarter encompasses 2.5 million square feet of office, laboratory, classroom and residential space in 16 buildings surrounding an urban square.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Two of my favorite rehab projects downtown are residential conversions. Both were announced last year.

1. The 1929 Reynolds Building conversion to a Kimpton Hotel and Residences is well underway. The 4-star hotel will occupy the first 7 floors and the remainder of the 22-story building will be 150 residences. Work should be completed by early 2016.

It's official: Reynolds Building to become Kimpton hotel, apartments - Triad Business Journal

It's official: Reynolds Building to become Kimpton hotel, apartments - Triad Business Journal

2. The $6 million redevelopment of the 1926 courthouse building at 50 West Fourth Street to 57 residential units is also moving along quickly.

Developer seeks historic designations for old Forsyth County Courthouse - Winston-Salem Journal: News

Developer seeks historic designations for old Forsyth County Courthouse - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Thanks for consolidating all of these into one convenient thread. I almost started a thread about the bridge proposals yesterday but wasn't sure if it warranted a whole thread by itself.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:06 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Great thread! A couple of additions:

Work has begun in a big way on the Publix supermarket on Miller St. They've graded the site and started pouring the foundation and walls.

Same for the Walmart "neighborhood grocery" in Clemmons. Not much in favor of this, as I think it will snarl traffic quite a bit and I'm not a Walmart fan in general. But at least it will bring that shopping strip back to life after not having a major tenant for several years.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Everyone is giddy for the Brookstown Ballpark Village to start construction. It will transform center city.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Great thread! A couple of additions:

Work has begun in a big way on the Publix supermarket on Miller St. They've graded the site and started pouring the foundation and walls.

Same for the Walmart "neighborhood grocery" in Clemmons. Not much in favor of this, as I think it will snarl traffic quite a bit and I'm not a Walmart fan in general. But at least it will bring that shopping strip back to life after not having a major tenant for several years.
Yeah the Publix site is moving along...I go by there a couple of times each week and I'm amazed at the size of the lot. I'm wondering how they will fit parking into the site.

I love the idea of the Wal Mart grocery store in Clemmons. It will bring down prices at all of the other grocers because they will have to be competitive. It's good that it isn't a Super Wal Mart - that would have been devastating for traffic on the 2 lane street in front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point