Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2010 View Post
I like this thread, thanks for the info and pics. I work downtown and its been fun to watch the development of all these projects over the past few months. There are two you mentioned that I hadn't heard of...

Center Pointe II - care to take a guess of the odds of this being developed? A 25 story high rise sounds far fetched (seems like that would make it the tallest in Greensboro, right?). That said, it would be awesome and you know with Carroll developing it would be first class. But have they even sold all the units in the original Center Pointe?

Building pictured across from Smith Street Diner - is that one a go or just speculation? The ballpark area is really taking off.
If center pointe phase II is complete i may still be a bit shorter than the LFG building, which stands at 380 feet to crown, as for the center pointe, i'm not sure, there are definitely alot of people who live there, i remember at one point when that building was nearly empty at night save for a couple lit windows.

As for the Hotel tower, i still have no clue what is going on with that, all i remember is that it was granted a large amount of incentives from the state. And never heard about it again, but i'm sure is still in the works.

But at the moment, my priorities are the projects that i taking off.

the ball park area is undergoing a construction boom, everywhere you look there is either a construction lot, or construction equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Roy Carroll does have future plans for a phase II next to Center Pointe which is the reason there are no balconies on the north side of Center Pointe. The first rendering of Center Pointe looked dramatically different and depicted a second tower twice the height of Center Pointe. That would have actually put the building at about 32 stories. Clearly Greensboro can't support a 32-story condominium complex at this time, however if Roy Carroll modifies his plans by reducing the number of residential units, replace the condos with upscale apartments and add some office, that would be more feasible for Greensboro in about 10 years or so. The height could be the same if Carroll decides to add an above ground multi-story parking deck beneath the building like the planned Wyndham Hotel. It would still be an expensive project and Roy Carroll would have to balance leasing rates for apartments and office space to help pay for the project in addition to asking for incentives. Its more costly to build vertically, especially when it comes to building a tall structure over a parking deck. I believe this is the reason we haven't seen any high-rise apartment projects under development in downtown Greensboro. Greensboro doesn't have the demographics to support the high rental rates needed to build such projects unless its mixed with other uses. Consequently all new apartment complexes being constructed in downtown Greensboro are horizontal projects between 3 and 6 stories. The tallest apartment project under development is the renovation of the 9-story Southeastern building and if it weren't for historic tax credits the project would have never happened.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-08-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 12:52 PM

85 posts, read 168,115 times
A high end restaurant is coming to downtown Greensboro at 1007 Battleground Ave. in the former Mexico restaurant space. It will be owned by Tim Thompson who is the former executive chef of the Marisol restaurant. The current building will be torn down to make way for the new restaurant to be named "Essen" which means eat in German. Thompson says this new restaurant will be something that the triad has never experienced before and will be a destination dining experience.

Former Marisol chef to open restaurant downtown | Triad City Beat

Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Nice, i wondering what they were doing with that. Drove by the Charles avery building downtown, seems they are going up another floor.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM

A restaurant called "LaRue" is opening across the street from the Carolina Theatre. It will offer French cuisine.

Another restaurant coming to downtown Greensboro - News-Record.com: Short Orders

Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 PM

85 posts, read 168,115 times
A $4million multiplex development to begin construction in March in downtown Greensboro.

Construction on a $4M Greensboro retail multiplex spearheaded by entrepreneur Lee Comer is set to begin in March - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Old 02-11-2015, 03:04 AM

Thats pretty cool, i like the design.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM

There has been a lot of discussion about Roy Carroll's planned 300 unit Bellemeade Village apartment complex and phase two of the Greenway at Fisher Park Apartments (Greenway at Stadium Park). But don't forget expansion is underway at downtown's largest apartment complex CityView at Southside. The old ABC alcohol warehouse is being converted into a new and larger clubhouse and a new 4-story apartment building is going up. When complete there will be a total of 10 apartment buildings along with the two clubhouses and will have about 500 apartment units. This is the third expansion of CityView. Here are some photos of current construction that I took. What I like about this complex is that it is built within the street grid and has an urban layout

the old ABC warehouse building now has windows, doors and is painted tan. Apartment units will line two sides of the triangular shaped building with the clubhouse, yoga room, business center and gym on the other side.

New apartment building going up

Center Pointe tower seen through two of the apartment buildings

other photos of CityView

current clubhouse

CityView in the background

The view from CityView at Southside

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-14-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
A high end restaurant is coming to downtown Greensboro at 1007 Battleground Ave. in the former Mexico restaurant space. It will be owned by Tim Thompson who is the former executive chef of the Marisol restaurant. The current building will be torn down to make way for the new restaurant to be named "Essen" which means eat in German. Thompson says this new restaurant will be something that the triad has never experienced before and will be a destination dining experience.

Former Marisol chef to open restaurant downtown | Triad City Beat
Taking his time? Kotis must be one of the backers because, as we have seen, he does NOT get in a hurry.
I like his plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
A restaurant called "LaRue" is opening across the street from the Carolina Theatre. It will offer French cuisine.

Another restaurant coming to downtown Greensboro - News-Record.com: Short Orders
My wife told me about that saying it is the same person that owned Steve's Oyster Bar formerly at that location. I'm a little surprised the Rhino Club is still empty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
Good update. It is nice to see local businesses putting themselves out there and investing in Greensboro. Methinks in spite of the rhetoric the economy is on the upswing.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about Roy Carroll's planned 300 unit Bellemeade Village apartment complex and phase two of the Greenway at Fisher Park Apartments (Greenway at Stadium Park). But don't forget expansion is underway at downtown's largest apartment complex CityView at Southside. The old ABC alcohol warehouse is being converted into a new and larger clubhouse and a new 4-story apartment building is going up. When complete there will be a total of 10 apartment buildings along with the two clubhouses and will have about 500 apartment units. This is the third expansion of CityView. Here are some photos of current construction that I took. What I like about this complex is that it is built within the street grid and has an urban layout

the old ABC warehouse building now has windows, doors and is painted tan. Apartment units will line two sides of the triangular shaped building with the clubhouse, yoga room, business center and gym on the other side.
I wondered what was going on with that warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point