Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 07:41 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't have many leaves to rake, but a crap ton of pine needles. In the more open areas I run a big lawn sweeper, then dump them in a large pile in my back woods.

It's a part of fire mitigation for us. The areas I can't get with the lawn sweep we hand rake and put them in my tractor bucket and haul them to the pile. I do spread some of them into an approx 20x20 area near the house- my dogs tend to use that as a 'dump' station. When 'full' I rake it up and dump it into a seperate pile in the woods, grab a bucket or 5 of the 'clean' needles and replace their doody station. Works great for us- keeps the crap outta the gravel driveway.
Oh man, I wish I had access to your pine needles. When I bought my lake lot this year my helper raked up a ton of the pine needles and cones from the front of the lot, plus 5 years of accumulated leaves. Then the grass grew and he had to weed eat it a couple of times. So now I need pine needles to keep the grass down again (but no cones - they're a slip and fall hazard for me). Those needles are not cheap to buy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 03:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh man, I wish I had access to your pine needles. When I bought my lake lot this year my helper raked up a ton of the pine needles and cones from the front of the lot, plus 5 years of accumulated leaves. Then the grass grew and he had to weed eat it a couple of times. So now I need pine needles to keep the grass down again (but no cones - they're a slip and fall hazard for me). Those needles are not cheap to buy!
Isn't that stupid? I can't believe they sell pine needle 'mulch'. I've got a pile 6' tall and 20'ft in circumference. It takes forever to rot down.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:24 AM

2,708 posts, read 2,208,930 times
I let the wind take care of my leaves. Most of them are blown across the street into wooded lots. What doesn't get blown across the street I blow onto my partially wooded spare lot to let them dissolve naturally. Any leftovers are mulched into my lawn when I mow the last time.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:11 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
I use a lawn tractor and just cut my lawn right up until Thanksgiving week. Our town has a vacuum truck, so we just dump the grass and leaves on the curb. We also get a ton of pine needles. If I didn’t cut and collect the grass, leaves, pine needles there would be no lawn, despite the statements above that the leaves simply disappear or break down into the soil by spring time. Lol. It’s more work, but only for about a month or so, four or five Saturdays.

Our town also has a recycling program. They collect all this yard waste and compost it. It’s available to residents, I believe for free.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:32 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Got about 6 acres filled with deciduous and pine trees. Massive amounts of leaves and pine needles. Use the tractor to mulch/ blow them from the driveway, walking paths and the 1 acre of lawn. Majority of the debris ends up in the woods.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:22 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
I only rake the leaves along the path to my chicken coop and then use them as mulch on my strawberry patch-- great protection for the winter...Two horticulturists from the Uof I Extension discuss this, among many other things, here https://extension.illinois.edu/podcasts/good-growing They live in communities that bag their raked leaves, to be left by the curb for pick-up. These guys take advantage of that by beating the public works truck to the task and score loads of free mulch/composting material for their gardens.

Re-use/Re-purpose/Re-cycle

Old 11-12-2023, 11:32 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Good article on benefits of leaving the leaves-

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science...mnal-lawn-care

Same philosophy why we no longer clean out our vegetable garden at the end of the growing season.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:16 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
I want to rake but two trees are taking forever to drop their leaves.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
After a pretty severe windstorm Friday, with some power outages, we lost most of the rest of the leaves. So yesterday I cranked up the mulching riding mower, and mowed the lawns, turning the leaves into nice fine mulch that stays on the grass to help feed it. Of course, I did have to use the leaf blower to get the driveway clear first and blow that onto the lawn.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:42 PM

605 posts, read 623,055 times
I mulch my leaves into the ground several times with an electric mower. That works at the beginning of fall, but at some point there are just too many leaves to mulch and if they stayed on the lawn they would smother the grass. I understand that there are environment reasons to have a completely natural and grassless lawn. But I can't afford to lose property value by destroying the lawn. It would be better to not paint the house either, environmentally speaking, but I can't afford that either. So it's a tradeoff between property owner needs and the environment. I try to strike a balance by mowing as many leaves as possible into the soil, but an electric mower also has an environmental cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living