Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:56 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times

Advertisements

OP, I think that we live in weird times.

We were already heading this way, but Covid pushed a lot of people deeper into isolation. We stare at our screens instead of interacting with other people enough. Humans do not thrive psychologically in isolation, we just don't. It makes us weird. Combine that with the fact that by and large most of us are fed a steady diet of manipulative propaganda through our screens, which is meant to make us lose trust in our institutions and neighbors and to increase hostility, fear, outrage and so on... I mean. It's no wonder.

As for this observation here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Well, the average weight of American men and women has increased by about 30 lbs since 1960. In 1960, the average weights were 166 and 140 lbs, respectively. As of 2016, the average American woman weighed 170.6 lbs (!), and the weight of the average American man was 197.9 lbs as of a 2019 CDC report. Statista shoes that same 197.9 figure (no pun intended) to be the average for American men age 20 and above in 2015-2016. Last I checked (and it's been quite a while since I have checked), my own weight was just under the weight of the average American woman circa 2016, hah.

I long marveled that I was blessed and fortunate to be able to eat whatever I want and never gain weight. I have been petite my whole life. All of the women and most of the men on both sides of my family put on serious weight by middle age, the women often gaining weight during pregnancy that they were never quite able to lose. Granted, "eat whatever I want" did not mean gorge myself on bags of cookies and pounds of fudge or entire pizzas in a sitting or anything. I could only ever nibble something sweet or rich and be quickly done. I don't have a huge appetite for much of anything, anyhow.

Then came the last attempt that I made to quit smoking, which I have been doing more or less since I was 15 years old (I did quit while pregnant, but started again within months of having my 2 kids.) So there I was, in my early 40s, trying to quit smoking. Got a few weeks in and noticed that even though I did not feel like I was eating more, I was putting on weight immediately and noticeably. I realized that in order to quit smoking without getting fat at the same time, I am going to have to implement an exercise routine, which I have never really had. I fell off the wagon and I still smoke. The 10 lbs I picked up in under a month have not budged, but I haven't gained any more.

This experience got me to thinking. I don't recall as many overweight people around back in the 80s and 90s when I was a kid/teen....and you know what, tons of people smoked back then. You could smoke in malls, restaurants. And in the 1960s even more people smoked, most adults smoked, and most smoked far more heavily because you could do it anywhere, anytime just about. Heck I've seen fixtures in old bathrooms specifically designed for a little ashtray and shelf for one's smokes right by the toilet! And many of those relatives of mine who put on weight in middle age...also quit smoking in middle age.

So I don't think it's necessarily what we are eating. I think it might be the fact that smoking affects weight and metabolism. I mean, too, look at a lot of the art from Europe before they colonized the Americas and tobacco trade became much of a thing at all, there were a lot more fluffy people and thick ladies were often painted as great beauties!

Obviously I'm not saying that people should smoke to avoid being overweight, when smoking is as bad for you or worse. But I think I might really be onto something with this theory about the why of it.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:14 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
... It’s always been wise advice forever to not discuss politics or religion with people especially strangers.
That's what my father told me 70 years ago when I was a kid, that one should never discuss politics or religion in a bar. For these two topics, you're always right and the other guy is always wrong. He saw fights in bars on these issues, especially politics. Dad new bars and I've known enough of them. I saw fights in bars on politics, it's not pretty. I decided long ago that since there usually are many ways to skin the cat, why fight over which is the best way, the pols and powers that be will figger it out to their advantage so pick your fights carefully.

Meanwhile, I've had thoughts that if I ever face the pain of being a widower that I'd be more of a hermit than I am now as I think half the people out there are nuts -- from mildly unbalanced to seriously whacky. I mostly blame it on the polarization around these two topics, the spread of idiotic conspiracy crap, paranoia like the man who self-immolated in NYC last week, to personal private despair over the state of things both globally, locally and/or personally. The news media on all sides blasts out doom and gloom, telling us how awful things are. The young ones are isolated with their heads up their cell phones or social media. COVID killed a million of us. Worse pandemics are brewing. Job security is a quaint memory. Homes prices have risen beyond what many can afford, and rents are jacked up to usurious levels. People don't read good informative books, magazines or the great newspapers, instead, they get their info from spurious sources and think it's for real. I have to wonder how much of this spurious crap is being pushed by our enemies who have long mastered the arts of disinformation to cause havoc in opposing societies. It's no wonder people act goofy.

I have to agree with the poster who said this thread won't last long, it'll be short of facts and figures, like my posting above. It may be better moved to the psychology forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:40 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s definitely you because I enjoy talking to most people I meet and don’t find them to be crazy. It’s always been wise advice forever to not discuss politics or religion with people especially strangers.
Agree. Maybe the "what's the common denominator here" question needs to be asked.

IME, hot button topics like political or religious beliefs have always been hot button topics. What might differ these days is how people choose to act because of that. Polarization, intolerance, violence seem linked to vulnerability. Instead of allowing someone else to hold a differing view, it must be destroyed as a threat. Stranger danger persisting into adulthood.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:16 PM

151 posts, read 51,223 times
Oh, yeah, there are a lot of people amongst us who are not in their right minds. Like a previous poster stated - these people used to be in mental facilities.

And let's not forget about the amount of people who are medicated and/or using illegal narcotics.

There are so many people walking around out here whacked out on drugs that it should concern us all. Some of them are behind the wheel, also. So many young people addicted to pills and meth ... just to name a couple. A lot of our homeless 'mental cases' are the way they are because of wanting to be high all the time.

I'm tired of the overused excuse of 'trying to mask the pain' ... A lot of people just like getting high and don't want to conform to the norms of society.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:27 PM

30,392 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Well, the average weight of American men and women has increased by about 30 lbs since 1960. In 1960, the average weights were 166 and 140 lbs, respectively. As of 2016, the average American woman weighed 170.6 lbs (!), and the weight of the average American man was 197.9 lbs as of a 2019 CDC report. Statista shoes that same 197.9 figure (no pun intended) to be the average for American men age 20 and above in 2015-2016. Last I checked (and it's been quite a while since I have checked), my own weight was just under the weight of the average American woman circa 2016, hah.
Then you're quite thin for a man... perhaps even TOO thin, depending on your height and build. And I find it interesting how you did the (!) for the woman's average weight (which really isn't that high), but not for the men. Do you only think women should be watching their weight, or what? Just some observations on my part.

And yes, of course humans have gotten bigger over the generations. Mostly due to our changing diets, from "farm fresh" to processed foods, and also having more sedentary lifestyles. We sit at desks, some people don't even leave their homes to work, and depend on cars to get around in most regions. It's logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This experience got me to thinking. I don't recall as many overweight people around back in the 80s and 90s when I was a kid/teen....and you know what, tons of people smoked back then. You could smoke in malls, restaurants. And in the 1960s even more people smoked, most adults smoked, and most smoked far more heavily because you could do it anywhere, anytime just about. Heck I've seen fixtures in old bathrooms specifically designed for a little ashtray and shelf for one's smokes right by the toilet! And many of those relatives of mine who put on weight in middle age...also quit smoking in middle age.

So I don't think it's necessarily what we are eating. I think it might be the fact that smoking affects weight and metabolism.
This is also a sound theory as a contributing factor. I quit smoking 4 years ago, and yeah, I put on some weight. Ended up gaining a LOT of weight over those next few years, between quitting smoking + pandemic + pre-menopause + losing both of my parents and my dog. But I've now shed all of that and then some, for a grand total of 72lbs since last year.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:17 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,082,547 times
Going by posts I read on C-D POC forum.....yeah, I'd say you're correct ...90% is about right.
Shocking what some people think....they've drunk a truckful of kool-aid....

Old 04-22-2024, 08:09 PM

5,540 posts, read 3,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then you're quite thin for a man... perhaps even TOO thin, depending on your height and build. And I find it interesting how you did the (!) for the woman's average weight (which really isn't that high), but not for the men. Do you only think women should be watching their weight, or what? Just some observations on my part.

And yes, of course humans have gotten bigger over the generations. Mostly due to our changing diets, from "farm fresh" to processed foods, and also having more sedentary lifestyles. We sit at desks, some people don't even leave their homes to work, and depend on cars to get around in most regions. It's logical.

This is also a sound theory as a contributing factor. I quit smoking 4 years ago, and yeah, I put on some weight. Ended up gaining a LOT of weight over those next few years, between quitting smoking + pandemic + pre-menopause + losing both of my parents and my dog. But I've now shed all of that and then some, for a grand total of 72lbs since last year.
6'1'', 165-170. Not underweight, just thin. I run 6-7 miles every other day. The average woman being ~170 seems more jarring given avg height and lower muscle mass. Anyone I've ever dated has been pretty easily under 170, that's for sure

Old 04-22-2024, 08:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,046,424 times
OP, how old are you? I've found that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for people in general. So it's hard to determine if "everyone" is getting weirder/crazier, or if I simply can't or won't put up with incomprehensible personalities or behavior.

I try to qualify new acquaintances within the first fifteen minutes of meeting. If right away they spew some religious/political/controversial/offensive BS, I don't want them in my life and don't pursue the relationship. I used to be nice & friendly to everybody, even weird creepy guys that should have been kicked to the curb immediately. Not anymore.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:34 PM

30,392 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
6'1'', 165-170. Not underweight, just thin. I run 6-7 miles every other day. The average woman being ~170 seems more jarring given avg height and lower muscle mass. Anyone I've ever dated has been pretty easily under 170, that's for sure
It only seems "jarring" because men have a tendency to underestimate a woman's weight (and we don't exactly correct you lol). Even my own brother thought I was LYING when I told him how much I weigh! And if anyone is happy to be brutally honest, it's a younger brother. And while our muscle mass might be lower on average, that means our fat content is typically higher - with buxom women especially, we can be holding an extra 10-20lbs just in the bosoms. Point being, I don't think 170lbs on a not-short woman is as large as you think it is.

At any rate, your dating history doesn't mean much. Perhaps you just like a smaller woman? I like a larger man, so most of the men I date are "pretty easily" over 200lbs; still wouldn't be rudely shocked over men being thin like you. We come in all shapes and sizes, and 170/190lbs isn't necessarily unhealthy. Depends on the person.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:39 PM

25,609 posts, read 17,346,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I've lived in at least half the states in the US, and while there were differences in culture and ethnic backgrounds, people seemed to be about the same wherever you went. By that I mean, if you happened to strike up a conversation on public transit, or on the plane/train, or in a restaurant, people seemed OK mentally. Invariably, you had something in common w/ them. But for the last few years, the vast majority of people I talk to are half crazy. So this is not a local thing, it seems to be a trend.

Sometimes I wonder if I went to sleep and woke up on another planet. You can't talk politics w/ people because very weird stuff happens. Now that's a tricky subject anyway, but that's just one example. Nowadays, 2 or 3 minutes into a conversation w/ these folks I either start agreeing w/ them in the hope that will let them wind down, or I do the fake phone call thing just so I can bow out gracefully, if not honestly. People have certainly changed physically. Just look at youtube videos of bands in the 60's 80's. Everyone looks like they should gain about 30 lbs, but I think this was the normal back in the day. Now, a lot of people look poofed up. Maybe its due to the growth hormones we ingest when we eat factory farmed livestock?

Has it always been like this? It seems I would have noticed if it was. But my experiences say there are a lot of people running around that appear normal, but you quickly see they're off in another zone.
The human race is in decline. Our greatest members have already lived and today's civilization no longer presents the challenges that produced the wonderful explorers, inventors, musicians and thinkers of the past. Today, we are all compelled to attend regulated schools, which are dumbed down to accommodate the weakest students. The great minds of the past educated themselves; those days are gone and will remain gone as long as there are governments to insure they are gone.

I don't see a time when it will go back and improve. The modern, stupid, poofed up human is here to stay - for a while. Population decline may cause things to improve, but not for a very long time.

Are people off their rocker?.... No. I think most people are just posturing for whatever team they have selected. The dichotomous thinking that results makes people pretty narrow. There are an awful lot of one-issue people out there.

Want to see proof?.... Go back and read the transcript of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. The average person today, with today's vocabulary and education, can't make sense of what Lincoln and Douglas - both largely self educated - are trying to say. And yet the masses in 1860 were excited and debated the points among themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates