Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 06:48 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And back in the 60s, most people generally ate 3 meals a day without snacks, just water. Today, many people are taking in calories every waking hour (including calorie-laden drinks).
Denying that genetics has any role, however, is easily disproven, and thus you lose the debate. It's better to acknowledge the role of genetics and clearly identify the extent of its role, and how genetics had been and can be overcome by behavior.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:02 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Denying that genetics has any role, however, is easily disproven, and thus you lose the debate. It's better to acknowledge the role of genetics and clearly identify the extent of its role, and how genetics had been and can be overcome by behavior.
Genetics technically has a role in everything. Whether you’re more likely to be patient in certain situations or respond with anger. Whether you’re more of a visual or verbal learner. The list goes on and on. But if your genetics predispose you to anger that would not be great excuse when say before a judge you used it as an excuse why you needed to hit some guy because he cut in front of you in the store checkout line.

Likewise, in regards to the topic of weight loss, it’s more of an excuse than anything else. People try to remove their agency and responsibility over their body. Well, I have news for everyone- no matter your genetics you can lose or gain weight based on the simple concept of calories in vs calories out. The reason some people are fatter vs thinner is the same reason some people keep a clean home vs a messy home - self control. And yes, self control is influenced by genetics but everyone can take initiative and self control once they learn to stop blaming their genetics.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
People in my family can pack on the pounds. We have the genes that produce NFL lineman. I'm no exception, if left unchecked I could easily gain another 100lbs. One day I had a idea. Figured the same genes that makes it easy for me to gain fat, would also make it easy for me to gain muscle. I therefore went back into the weight room. Altered a few things with my diet, by taking out excess sugar and focusing on whole foods. I actually consumed more food overall. The end result, was a banging body for lack of a better word. Added 20lbs of muscle. The point is, we all genetic propensities, but behavioral and environmental factors are also part of the equation.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:13 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,255 times
I have a solution. Everyone should stop eating foods with high Carbs "Carbohydrates". People get fat from eating to many Carbs at each meal.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I have a solution. Everyone should stop eating foods with high Carbs "Carbohydrates". People get fat from eating to many Carbs at each meal.
You can get fat on low carb diets. I have a friend who went Keto trying to lose weight. He ended up gaining weight because his idea of a diet was fried cheese and steak. Keto sure/low carb sure. But too many calories.

For some who have a problem with sweets or sugary drinks, going low carb may end up reducing their calorie intake. But it's calories in vs out that dictates if you lose weight.

Old 11-27-2023, 01:56 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
I've always been heavy. Since I was 4. I was about 68 pounds at that age.

By 13 I was 150. And 180 by 17. Am 33 now and weigh 223. All efforts for dieting have been a failure. I lose about three pounds over thr course of two months and then regain. It keeps coming back. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 190 and that was after a battle with Colitis that spanned a year. I was so sick I could barely get out of bed and was only able to drink ensure.

Things I don't do

* I never eat out

* I don't drink alcohol

* I don't sit around

I've been tested for pcos and such disorders but nothing comes back. My mother was heavy too but I was not raised by her. I spent a greater portion of my childhood in fostercare then with her so its not a parental eating habits thing. My mother weighed as much as I do now.

I've talked to other folks with a life long weight problem and they have similar stories to my own. It's strongly genetic.
You didn't mention your gender and your height. These will put your weight in perspective.

A muscular, 6' tall guy is just fine weighing 190-220 lbs. A 5'2" lady, less so, unless she's an Olympic shot-putter or similar.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:07 PM

579 posts, read 432,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You didn't mention your gender and your height. These will put your weight in perspective.

A muscular, 6' tall guy is just fine weighing 190-220 lbs. A 5'2" lady, less so, unless she's an Olympic shot-putter or similar.
PCOS = polycystic ovarian syndrome, so there's that.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Dong Yeob Jo is 6'1 and 200lbs. This is how a muscler physique at that height/weight looks like -> https://www.facebook.com/musclemania...1213953909030/

Suffice to say, most people who are that height and 200lbs are overweight or obese. By obese, instead of BMI I will say anything above 20% bodyfat for a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates