Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 03:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I can see that.

Discussing feelings was not allowed when I was a child.

Expressing feelings would get me beaten.

When I was 8 or 9yo, my parents decided that I needed to face reality, so when any of our pets needed to be put down, it was my job to do so. And any whining or crying was justification for a beating.

Then I had to do it again, to make sure that I had learned the lesson, to kill without hesitancy, remorse, or emotion.

I never dreamed of being depressed about it, as I knew what would happen if I got depressed.
This is not the first time you've mentioned that your parents made you kill your pets. That was just straight-up psycho parenting, which isn't any better than the polar opposite.

Healthy parenting is in between extremes.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:48 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is not the first time you've mentioned that your parents made you kill your pets. That was just straight-up psycho parenting, which isn't any better than the polar opposite.

Healthy parenting is in between extremes.
I understand that my mental balance is slightly different from the 'norm'. I have been diagnosed with a DSM disorder, though I am hesitant to disclose which disorder it is because once I say it out loud it frightens people. I do not experience grief or grieving.

I understand that my parents were abusive.

My Dw and I [and my grandparents] had a long discussion about this before we decided to have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 05:31 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I have read and re-read this thread. It brings out some powerful emotions in me. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts in their posts. I may have some things to add due to my own experiences as well as my wife's professional experience with Children's Mental Health programs- she is directly involved with that.

Until I can clear my mind, I just wish to say thank-you.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I've wanted to jump into this conversation for days now, but it took me that long to track down a recent article I was reading:

https://www.statnews.com/2023/05/24/...ring-research/

I recall about 4 years ago, prior to Covid, my cousin talking with me about her own kids and her frustrations with they and their peers being "depressed" and her wondering what exactly they had to be depressed about. All 4 of her kids are involved in various sports, cheer, band, music lessons, dance, baseball, tennis, golf, you name it, they've done it or are doing it. These aren't kids sitting alone in their basements with no social skills.

When I came across this article it really made me stop to think about how much focus there is on feelings. I wasn't raised to stuff my feelings, but there wasn't such an inward focus on it when I was a teen. A bad day was just a bad day, it wasn't pathologized as it seems to be now.
All this focus on feelings and how to choose the correct label for yourself is taking the focus and funding away from our teens that struggle with true mental illness, those who aren't capable of normal lives and relationships, those who are dangerous to themselves and others.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:18 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The stats are pretty frightening...

This new world has taken a toll on U.S. teenagers, if the staggering data on adolescent mental health are any indication. In 2020, 16% of U.S. kids ages 12 to 17 had anxiety, depression, or both, a roughly 33% increase since 2016.

The following year, 42% of U.S. high school students said they felt persistently sad or hopeless, 29% reported experiencing poor mental health, 22% had seriously considered suicide, and 10% had attempted suicide.

In other words, life in a #1 Western world paradise ...
Why kids are so depressed? They seem to have everything. Life is surely much easier than 50 years ago. More freedom to express themselves, every gadget imaginable, way less parental control, way less discipline, better access to mental health, counselors and institutions... They are well fed, well dressed, full of life choices.
Are they having too good?? Not enough attention? Is TikTok not fulfilling their lives?

https://time.com/6320195/us-teen-mental-health-photos/
A part of the meteoric rise in the numbers of children reporting some form of mental health crisis is a result of increased awareness AND reporting. There are far more professional services and counselors that exist today than existed in the 70's when I was in elementary and jr. high. Personal example- I grew up in a very violent household with an alcoholic father (and later found out mother). I witnessed and was victim to some things that I'd rather not repeat. In the 4th or 5th grade my grades slipped. It was during the height of the trauma and my mother had moved us out and around a few times.

I was sent to the school counselor as a result of the slipping grades, and her focus was to get my grades up- not necessarily my mental health. When I did talk about my home life, there was no referral to a mental health clinician or reporting the violence to a local official.

Today there are programs like Comprehensive School and Community Treatment- something my wife is involved with.
Quote:
A CSCT treatment team includes a licensed or supervised in-training practitioner and up to two behavioral aides, who are assigned to a specific public school(s). Once admitted into the program, a youth may receive services at the school, the home, or in the community. Services are focused on improving the youth’s functional level by facilitating the development of skills related to exhibiting appropriate behaviors in the school, home, and community settings. These youth typically require support through cueing or modeling of appropriate behavioral and life skills to utilize and apply learned skills in normalized school and community settings. Comprehensive School and Community Treatment includes: (a) Individual, Group and Family Therapy; and (b) Behavioral and life skills training. Please refer to the Children’s Mental Health Medicaid Services Provider Manual for more information.
https://dphhs.mt.gov/bhdd/cmb/Compre...yTreatmentCSCT

A lot of Montana school districts have a CSCT program and they didn't 'pop up' from nowhere. This was developed because there is a defined and critical need. From very, very rural to in city-there are a lot of children in Montana with challenges. Extreme poverty on and off the reservations, depression and mental health issue in very rural areas (defined as frontier counties). A lot.

As far as life being easier today for kids. Is it? There are a lot of families that live on the edge of poverty- the income gap is real and impactful. Active shooter drills and safe rooms are today's duck & cover drills. Kids see the carnage of mass shootings all the time. Bullying has evolved from the dreaded face to face encounter in the schoolyard or hallway to 24/7 online. It's morphed from a one-off mean kid to an online group fest pile-on.

I wouldn't say kids have it any easier today. Their challenges are different due to the times and conditions they're growing up in.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-23-2023 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-23-2023, 10:30 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times
When I left this country, and resided in a poor one; I noticed people there were happier in general.
Upon returning, 2 years later; I immediately noticed how miserable people were.
Perhaps it is due to our materialism, and the illusion it brings; as opposed to the community, hard work, religion, and family values I left behind in the poor country.
People here aren't getting married, having families, or even block parties anymore.
And the dumbphones are not making people any smarter, ruining social development.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:45 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
When I left this country, and resided in a poor one; I noticed people there were happier in general.
Upon returning, 2 years later; I immediately noticed how miserable people were.
Perhaps it is due to our materialism, and the illusion it brings; as opposed to the community, hard work, religion, and family values I left behind in the poor country.
People here aren't getting married, having families, or even block parties anymore.
And the dumbphones are not making people any smarter, ruining social development.
We have an apartment building in a nearby town. That town has a nice riverside park with a gazebo and an open air ice skating rink.

Last winter one of the locals began dressing up as the Grinch, hanging out around the town traffic light and waving at folks.

All this summer he has tried to gather support for Community BBQs in the park. He managed to get four people to bring out their BBQs, and the town clerks all got time off to come out and to work the grills.

He has met with town officials many times. They are glad that someone is investing the energy to bring community together, and they have even offered him a small budget to get it done.

He wanted to have local bands performing in the gazebo followed by a movie night once a month.

I have attended a few of these meetings, and I offered the use of my building's storefront if he could get enough support for a haunted house. But it has all fallen through.

Nobody cares.

So far there is just not enough participation to make it sustainable.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-23-2023 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Typo.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:29 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
More food for thought, an article about children having less independence today and is it fueling a mental health crisis.

https://wapo.st/3QrZmvK

Quote:
There are familiar factors that surface in discussions of the youth mental health crisis in America, with screen use and social media often topping the list of concerns. But Gray suspects a deeper underlying issue: The landscape of childhood has transformed in ways that are profoundly affecting the way children develop — by limiting their ability to play independently, to roam beyond the supervision of adults, to learn from peers, and to build resilience and confidence.

…

Parents have become more concerned in the last 20 years or so with getting their child into college, and if you’re middle-class or upper middle-class, getting into an elite college. Free play doesn’t go on a résumé, but being on a traveling sports team might. There is this view that children develop fast when they’re carefully guided and taught by adults and that what children do on their own is sort of a waste of time, but that is not how children have developed in the past. They develop primarily by interacting with other kids, learning from experience. Most people are not aware of how much children learn on their own — that they learn through exploring, and that the most important skills they learn, they learn in play with other children.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:59 PM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
More food for thought, an article about children having less independence today and is it fueling a mental health crisis.

https://wapo.st/3QrZmvK
Nice article,
I'm Gen X, and when I was a kid; our parents didn't even know where we were after school.
And they couldn't find out without physically searching, we trick or treated unsupervised; and our toys had some inherent risk of injuries.
We had to use our imaginations, become creative; and interact without the influence of social media peer pressures.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:25 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
I read close to ten sources, daily, and let me tell you, there's a lot to be upset about. I'm old and I'm thinking "what's the point?" I feel my usefulness to society is over and there's really nothing to look forward to (there are lots of things I enjoy doing, but because people are so insane now, I hesitate to get out much).

Think about teens who have their whole lives ahead of them. What a mess. Some are probably worried about a draft. Who ever imagined things could get so bad? That there could be so much crime and so many crazy people freaking out every day?

Even driving has changed. I am on a FB group for a particular highway and the aggressive drivers boast about going 85 on a 55 hilly road and threaten tail-gating and brag about it. There are serious accidents on this road daily and they don't care. Think if you were a teenager just starting out - can't even imagine driving that road under those circumstances. There was a Meetup to discuss the aggressive drivers in the area! It's the norm. Safety and courtesy are values of the past.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-26-2023 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Removing quoted material that had been deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates