Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 07:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I grew up with two twin sisters who were absolutely beautiful and both were extremely intelligent.

Both got into drugs. The first one died seven or eight years ago after checking herself out of a detox facility AMA and died on the way home. The second one was in a car wreck about a decade ago with someone who was DUI, and ended up having a partial leg amputation.

She did eventually get clean, but got with an addict boyfriend last year. He ended up shooting her in the head after she broke up with him, then he killed another man for a getaway car.

I've always wondered how different their lives would have been had they not grown up in drug-addicted small town Tennessee.
There are so many tragic stories. I know one drug user who is in her late fifties and spent five total years of her life in prison or jail because of drug problems. She currently is homeless and has just learned she has late stage breast cancer. Because of her difficulty complying with anything for very long, I'm skeptical she will do much in the way of cancer treatment. I'm also not certain she really wants to go on with life. She has to accept responsibility for getting addicted to heroin. However, she had challenges in her life that many do not have. Those challenges included an abusive and philandering spouse she finally left. She is a minority and I believe suffered some degree of discrimination because of that. She was also badly injured in a car accident and I believe uses heroin to medicate herself for residual effects from these injuries. The system chose to throw her in prison when she failed to comply with terms of her probation which included giving up heroin. I'm angry in some ways. I believe there were other ways to deal with her, but ten or fifteen years ago judges were very rigid and drug offenders went to prison. The fact that she worked for many years full time shows me that she was capable of contributing much to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates