Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

I think they should lift the embargo immediately. I believe that any American citizen should be able to travel anywhere they want to but if warned it is not safe, their choice and their responsibility if something goes wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Although as I think many Alaskans are aware, you'd find Russia just as close to an American shoreline. Krushchev promised that he'd "bury us." Subsequent Russian rulers have been more subtle, which is about the most you can say for any of them. And yet I can't recall a single President who's proposed an embargo against Russia.
Krushchev`s absurd remark was not directed at Alaska, nor was a threat of war. He was, rather, speaking of competing economic systems. The Soviet threat via Cuba was entirely different -- bellicose, ugly, and real. I know. I was alive then.

And there was an embargo of sorts against the Soviet Union, backed up by NATO forces in Europe. Our willingness to stand up to the Soviets is what hastened the end of the cold war. Ask the Poles, the Czechs, and the other formerly subjugated people of Europe.

The Castros are unapologeitc Stalinist. Their garbage dump of a country is a moral and economic prison camp. Why should we reward him? Because our left-wing academics and `progressives` are tired of it all? Hardly...

Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Krushchev`s absurd remark was not directed at Alaska, nor was a threat of war. He was, rather, speaking of competing economic systems. The Soviet threat via Cuba was entirely different -- bellicose, ugly, and real. I know. I was alive then.

And there was an embargo of sorts against the Soviet Union, backed up by NATO forces in Europe. Our willingness to stand up to the Soviets is what hastened the end of the cold war. Ask the Poles, the Czechs, and the other formerly subjugated people of Europe.

The Castros are unapologeitc Stalinist. Their garbage dump of a country is a moral and economic prison camp. Why should we reward him? Because our left-wing academics and `progressives` are tired of it all? Hardly...
ah -- cold war relics.

There is one prison camp there.....

Anyway. Morally what happens in Cuba is essentially not the US's problem. If US was consistent that would be a different story. There are other regimes that are just as bad, if not worse. They do not have a 40 year trade embargo placed on them.

It is not about rewarding him, it is about excessive punishment against a country that has been punished, for..... accepting USSR weapons 50 years ago.

Political change will not occur whilst this embargo continues.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
ah -- cold war relics.

There is one prison camp there.....

Anyway. Morally what happens in Cuba is essentially not the US's problem. If US was consistent that would be a different story. There are other regimes that are just as bad, if not worse. They do not have a 40 year trade embargo placed on them.

It is not about rewarding him, it is about excessive punishment against a country that has been punished, for..... accepting USSR weapons 50 years ago.

Political change will not occur whilst this embargo continues.
So go visit them. Enjoy having your internet access restricted and keeping your mouth shut should you have the inclination to criticize the Castro regime.

And when it is time for you to return to the land down under, commiserate with your Cuban friends who can never leave their prison-island. Join them in the fiction that these restrictions on their freedoms are the fault of those evil Americans and their inconsistent foreign policy.

What utter balderdash.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
So go visit them. Enjoy having your internet access restricted and keeping your mouth shut should you have the inclination to criticize the Castro regime.

And when it is time for you to return to the land down under, commiserate with your Cuban friends who can never leave their prison-island. Join them in the fiction that these restrictions on their freedoms are the fault of those evil Americans and their inconsistent foreign policy.

What utter balderdash.
right. So further punishing the innocent Cubans is a better answer? Ensure they can never create regime change by enforcing they remain poor, and restricted.

Its 2011, get out of 1963. The rest of the world has.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
right. So further punishing the innocent Cubans is a better answer? Ensure they can never create regime change by enforcing they remain poor, and restricted.

Its 2011, get out of 1963. The rest of the world has.
And your prescription is to reward dictators with lollipops, and hold your breath until the Cubans grow brains.

It's 2011. Get real. I can assure you that tyranny is.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
The government ignores the rules when it chooses. Jane Fonda was not prosecuted for travel to North Vietnam, and Louis Farrakhan wasn't punished for traveling to Libya and condemning America. Bill Clinton was touring the Soviet Union with an anti-war student group while I was getting shot at with Soviet made rockets in Vietnam. Jimmy Carter went to North Korea without official government sanction.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Take into considerations who would lose the most if there were unrestricted travel to Cuba. And the potential losers who have a stake in this, will do everything in their power to keep the restrictions in place.

Potential losers:

Caribbean countries, for one. The Cuban-led tourist industries of Florida. Even Mexico.

Last edited by tijlover; 02-09-2011 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Take into considerations who would lose the most if there were unrestricted travel to Cuba. And the potential losers who have a stake in this, will do everything in their power to keep the restrictions in place.

Potential losers:

Caribbean countries, for one. The Cuban-led tourist industries of Florida. Even Mexico.
Not to mention the Cubans who will be spied on and imprisoned if they attempt to criticize Castro or leave the island.

But hey. It's all about the money, right? Nothing else matters...

Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Krushchev`s absurd remark was not directed at Alaska
I was aware of that, thank you. I only mentioned Alaska in that posting because you said something about Cuba being so close to America's shore. Russia is just as close, closer in fact, to Alaska than Cuba is to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates