Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times

Advertisements

To the extent that the economic warfare waged by the United States against Cuba was intended to weaken Castro's government, it has clearly had the opposite effect.

Experience has shown that expanded contact with modern Western societies, including commercial, cultural, and social connections, undermines repressive governments.

The United States should not be tailoring its foreign policy to the preferences of the tattered remnants of Batista's ruling class who have taken up residence in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The United States should not be tailoring its foreign policy to the preferences of the tattered remnants of Batista's ruling class who have taken up residence in Florida.
Just goes to show you how much political clout a dedicated group of voters in a swing state can have if they choose not to enslave themselves to a particular political party.

There are several organizations in the US that should take note.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Experience has shown that expanded contact with modern Western societies, including commercial, cultural, and social connections, undermines repressive governments.
Name a few. North Korea? Vietnam? China? Please....

Hey -- after the Castros are dead and a new generation with its head on straight arises in Cuba, we should consider letting Cubans make trinkets for the Dollar Store and Walmart. Until then, I think our FELLOW CITIZENS in Florida, whom so many on ths board want to denigrate as somehow second-class Americans, have just as much right to influence foreign policy toward a dictatorship which has usurped their homeland as anyone else [and certainly as much as the elitist left-wing leisure class which currently enjoys political hegemony in the US, and wages a useless war in Afghanistan, in imitation of the last one perpetrated by a liberal President (LBJ/Vietnam) who needed to broaden his domestic political appeal as a tough Commander in Chief-type dude. The cynical genius of using a mercenary army instead of draftees has neatly removed the element of popular protest, so what the hey. O talks a good game, and the MSM laps it up, while our GIs go on dying to guarantee a good opium crop for the pie-hats. Makes sense to me. NOT.]

The fact that JFK was a callow coward who refused to man up against Krushchev and de-nut Castro when he had the chance, and instead promised to never ever harm a hair on that megalomaniac's beard, hardly translates as a need to embrace the Stalinists in Havana as our moral or philosophical equals. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and the transgressions of past are no less valid because they're not posted on YouTube.

The embargo is the next best thing to having a US government with nards. Plus it drives the progressives up the wall...

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-08-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not sure if you are asking about Mugabe or Castro....so I will pick the lesser known of the two and you can google about Castro (who just handed the country over to....his brother) on your own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/wo...3zimbabwe.html
I'm aware of Mugabe -- and are well aware of Fidel Castro & co.

I find it interesting that the US persists with this.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post

I find it interesting that the US persists with this.
I find it enlightening that the rest of the world blithely countenances a dictatorship 90 miles off the shores of the United States -- a dictatorship which has, and would gladly again, threaten my country with nuclear war.

Proving once again, as if it were necessary, that ingratitude never goes out of style.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I find it enlightening that the rest of the world blithely countenances a dictatorship 90 miles off the shores of the United States -- a dictatorship which has, and would gladly again, threaten my country with nuclear war.

Proving once again, as if it were necessary, that ingratitude never goes out of style.
ha ha ha whatever dude.

Why don't you put an embargo on Russia.

Again threaten your country with nuclear war? With what? a 1950's taxi?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
There should be no travel restrictions on us. We are supposed to be free people.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

...Although as I think many Alaskans are aware, you'd find Russia just as close to an American shoreline. Krushchev promised that he'd "bury us." Subsequent Russian rulers have been more subtle, which is about the most you can say for any of them. And yet I can't recall a single President who's proposed an embargo against Russia.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
The embargo is half-assed remnant of our Cold War policies, left in place to placate the old anti-Castro Cubans that control South Florida (as well as being an important voting group in the swing state) and few other old hardliners. It's like our relationship with Israel, it's written into the political handbook for both parties at this point...

It's done absolutely nothing to destroy Castro's regime---over 50 years and counting--except to annoy Americans who might want to travel to or do business with Cuba. It's kind of like America's refusal to use the metric system at this point--a unique example of American exceptionalism.

I'll go to Cuba whenever the hell I want--US policy not withstanding.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The Obama administration eased a few travel restrictions today regarding visits to Cuba by religious or student groups, but left the overall Treasury Department sanctions intact. It is still technically illegal for a US citizen to spend money in Cuba without Treasury Department authorization, which makes Cuba unique among all nations on Earth in terms of American policy.

Obama administration lifts some Cuba travel, money-sending restrictions

However, many Americans feel that such limits are beyond the proper power of the government, and travel to Cuba without government permission, by flying into Cuba through non-American (and usually non-Canadian) airports (Caracas is a popular transit point).

How do you feel about the travel embargo, and the embargo-breakers? Would you turn in a person for breaking the embargo, or do you feel that the US federal government should not be in the business of dictating where Americans may or may not travel overseas?
I expect to here from all those that are constanly clamoring about "seperation of church and state".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates