Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:35 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Tell grandma to butt out (politely initially, but put your foot down all the same). I understand that grandma comes from a different time and finds this embarrassing. But, from where I stand, grandma's prejudices and embarrassment should have zero bearing on your raising a happy and healthy child. If your child enjoys getting his nails painted and is happy, so what?

I don't have a clue about this child's sexuality (and, frankly, I don't give a damn about it), but I'm especially sensitive over this subject as my parents allowed their religious beliefs and fear of how others would view things to serve as the basis for their horrible treatment of my older sister when she came out as bisexual. That treatment has been extremely damaging to my sister.

If grandma cannot get with the program, then perhaps she isn't a healthy person to have around grandchild. It would be a shame if it came to this, but you need to look after your son first and foremost, OP (and anyone else who may be in a similar situation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 07:44 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't have a clue about this child's sexuality (and, frankly, I don't give a damn about it), but I'm especially sensitive over this subject as my parents allowed their religious beliefs and fear of how others would view things to serve as the basis for their horrible treatment of my older sister when she came out as bisexual. That treatment has been extremely damaging to my sister.
I can appreciate how horrible it was for your sister. How it would affect your relationship with your parents as well. Holiday celebrations must be awful for everyone.

However, setting up a child to be bullied by his peers isn't good either.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
I think you're conflating what a kid gets bullied about, versus why they get bullied. A kid might get bullied about having painted nails, painted nails won't provoke bullying in a dynamic where it wouldn't otherwise exist. It's about personality and social dynamics, not any particular fashion choice, hobby, belief, etc.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:26 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was bullied mercilessly for years because my family was Jewish in an area of the country where few people were anything but Protestant. Should my parents not have raised me to be proud of my culture because it made me a target for bullies?

Don't make excuses for bullies, or for the people who raise them.
Noting that the kid is more likely to be bullied due to painted nails isn't excusing bullies.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:28 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I can appreciate how horrible it was for your sister. How it would affect your relationship with your parents as well. Holiday celebrations must be awful for everyone.

Bingo.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:42 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Yes, it was rough.

I see your point about not wanting to set up a child to be bullied by his peers, but I say in cases like that have your child be around groups that value him or her for who they are and what they want to be. No matter how hard you try to fit in, you can still be the victim of bullying. I was bullied for my stutter, for the clothes I wore, and for a host of other things. But I never stopped speaking and wore what I wanted to wear, the bullies be damned. While I wasn't Emo, I looked up to those kids in high school in many ways for daring to go against the mold and be who they were. I stopped giving a crap about a lot of things a long time ago (I know, this is often easier said than done) and went on to live my life and surround myself with others who share my values and who don't judge me for being who I am.

Note, not letting your child do these things can also be damaging in many ways, too. If your child is naturally feminine and appreciates certain things that society at large would bully him over, having him repress those desires/who he is can really mess with him as well.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:13 AM

900 posts, read 683,829 times
I paint my own nails sometimes but would never put nail polish on my little granddaughters; they seem like strong chemicals, especially the remover. If I were the parents, I would ask grandparents to not put chemicals on the child. Same thing with makeup. I would never put makeup on a child, either. If the parents want to, they can, although I would not really approve.

Why put either of these things on a little child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents