Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 10:01 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times

Advertisements

I travel to GR regularly for work (live near Chicago), and I regularly have friends asking me for restaurant suggestions, but I struggle to remember a lot of the places we go. There's many places that I've never been. Can you the locals help me compile a list to suggest?

Restaurants I know:

Butchers Union
Green Well
Winchester
Donkey

These are the ones I know for sure, what others can I suggest/what would you consider the best restaurant in GR and why?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 10:11 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Cheri Inn in East Hills.
The Matchbox Cafe on Lake Drive.
The Cottage Bar on LaGrave, downtown.
Rose’s on Lake Drive in East Grand Rapids, on the shore of Reed’s Lake.
The “why” of the places is that the food is delish at all four places. Terrific ambience, also.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:21 PM

255 posts, read 159,371 times
In addition to the above...
MDRD for the view
Hancock for hot chicken
Blue water because it's on a lake
Yesterdog if you want the stereotypical GR experience, but it's hot dogs
Seven monks for beer selection, location and food
Bodies chophouse for fancier food
Carolina's Low Country for seafood

These would be my favorite for atmosphere, food or location. If you wanted some ethnic food or breweries, I didn't include those but have suggestions for those. Hope this helps and YMMV.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:56 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I'm a fan of Blue Dog Tavern on the west side, only a few blocks from Butchers Union. I'd also recommend the rooftop at Hotel New Mertens if they can get up there. Best views in the city IMO. The view from MDRD are from a higher vantage point, but it's on the river and looks west so you don't really get city views from it. I really dig the vibe and all the restaurants in the Heartside right now. It's probably my favorite neighborhood in the city at the moment. Though the West Village/Bridge St. corridor is a close 2nd for me.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:52 AM

255 posts, read 159,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'm a fan of Blue Dog Tavern on the west side, only a few blocks from Butchers Union. I'd also recommend the rooftop at Hotel New Mertens if they can get up there. Best views in the city IMO. The view from MDRD are from a higher vantage point, but it's on the river and looks west so you don't really get city views from it. I really dig the vibe and all the restaurants in the Heartside right now. It's probably my favorite neighborhood in the city at the moment. Though the West Village/Bridge St. corridor is a close 2nd for me.
There are windows on the north and south sides of the restaurant in addition to the western side. Last time I was there, we were seated on the SW side, so had great views of the city and looking westward. Could see south all the way to the hill on 92nd St (and everything in between, including 90% of downtown) and west as far as Grandville. Again YMMV.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:58 AM

Yeah I know you can get some limited city views from the south windows. I’d argue that the money shot would be from the south east. The tower was originally designed with the top restaurant looking toward the west. That was when the city very different. I wonder if in hindsight they wished they did it a different way. In fairness I haven’t been up there since the remodel.

The views from Hotel New Mertens are still my favorite. Plus good drinks lol.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:20 PM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Michigan.html

According to Trip Advisor the best restaurants in GR are as follows. Only posting their top 20. I agree with a lot of them, but there are several listed below the top 20 that I'd recommend over some of the one's they listed. I'm assuming the compile based on an aggregate of reviews. I'd be curious to know what some locals think of the list or how they'd rank their own.

1. Beer City Bread Co.
2. Real Food Cafe
3. Butcher's Union
4. Leo's Seafood Restaurant and Bar
5. Wolfgang's Restaurant
6. The Green Well
7. Sanchez
8. Brewery Vivant
9. Bistro Bella Vita
10. The Chop House
11. Founders Brewing
12. HopCat
13. Electric Cheetah
14. Ruth's Chris
15. Grand Rapids Brewing
16. The Old Goat
17. Terra
18. Anna's House
19. The Pit Stop
20. Donkey Taqueria

Old 08-03-2023, 11:56 AM

Not what I'd consider part of the GR restaurant scene, but Mr Burger is opening a new area location. Mr. Burger is a GR staple but what I'd consider an obsolete concept. I wonder if they are going to try an updated business model with this one.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...pids-area.html

Old 08-31-2023, 07:10 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times
Adding the Eastern Kille location on Wealthy St. to my list of places I like in Grand Rapids. I'm on that stretch of Wealthy St. a lot when I'm in GR but I never realized it was there. Loved the cocktails and the vibe.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:10 AM

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...nd-rapids.html

New restaurant coming to Commerce Ave, open until 2:30 with take out window. Looks pretty cool, I feel like they need more late night food options in that part of downtown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area