Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 76,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
First off, you are not a tool, my dear.
"I say the F word a lot.
Come sit by me.
Don’t want to live in an old Victorian home with walkability/live among the hipsters.
This eliminates the Heritage Hill and Eastown neighborhoods, respectively.

Coming from California, you'll find your housing budget will pack a big punch here. especially in the burby-neighborhoods.
Republican but not ultra conservative or religious (agnostic).
This wild-eyed lefty thinks you'll fit in anywhere here just fine. Avoid the outlying areas of Grandville, Jenison or Byron Center, though;insular areas, in my opinion.

One thing you need to be warned about:

There's a reason it's called Sunny California.The winter sun here in West Michigan is...........elusive. Prepare yourself. Lay in a stock of melatonin,
Hope you make it to our shores! You will find a warm welcome here.

LOL, you rock. Thank you!
We actually are lucky enough to be able to travel and get the F out for a month or two when winter gets too oppressive feeling. I’m hoping that’ll create the best of both worlds vibe.

Interestingly, we lived in Portland, OR for 2.5 years. It was lovely but not a forever home for us.

Your response makes me feel good and gives me hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Yeah, just to put it in perspective, I don't think I've actually seen the sun in 2-3 weeks.
We are in the cloudy, gray, dark time of the year in Michigan.
I feel like for the past week or so its been perpetual twilight, even at midday.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Yeah, just to put it in perspective, I don't think I've actually seen the sun in 2-3 weeks.
We are in the cloudy, gray, dark time of the year in Michigan.
I feel like for the past week or so its been perpetual twilight, even at midday.
Old thread, I know, but this is what scares me. I'm from the southwest, moving the GR soon, and am NOT looking forward to a sunless winter existence. Will probably get one of those lamps that mimic the sun, I know that may sound cheesy, but I think that's my salvation

Old 12-22-2021, 08:02 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times
People overstate the gray. We never go 2 weeks with literally no sun. But we may go that long with only sporadic sunshine, and if you work indoors, you may be stuck at your job when the sun is out, and the sun may set before you get home from your commute. If you work at home, though, you can take a break and step outside for some vitamin D.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:00 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
People overstate the gray. We never go 2 weeks with literally no sun. But we may go that long with only sporadic sunshine, and if you work indoors, you may be stuck at your job when the sun is out, and the sun may set before you get home from your commute. If you work at home, though, you can take a break and step outside for some vitamin D.
I was thinking the same thing. Folks who've only "heard" about the gray think there's no sun from November to March. While there's definitely quite a bit of overcast days, once the lake temp and air temps start being the same the cloud dome dissipates. There's still sunny days. It's about 50/50. Super cold air makes it harder for clouds to form. Warmer winters are more cloudy.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:45 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
It is Christmas Day and the sun is shining. What remains of the snow has melted.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:34 PM

24 posts, read 23,966 times
As someone who grew up here, moved to Philly and then San Francisco (the FOGGY part) for 20+ years, I can say 100% the lack of sun is not overstated.

It depends on the year of course, but one year when I was in high school (in the 1990s) we had zero sun (essentially, totally overcast sky) for 45 straight days. That is unusual, but a couple years ago when I moved back here after living in foggy SF for 12 years, I found I desperately needed one of those sun lamps.

In SF, rarely does a day go by when you don’t see at least a glimpse of the sun. In Grand Rapids, you can easily go several days in a row with no sun at all. It is a huge adjustment for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area