Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaShin View Post
I've been everyone in this state and for some reason 90% of the people I've heard talk, sound robotic, it's like they are being forced to talk or something. To have a conversation in this state is almost like communicating with a person through sign language.

I talk slow so that people like you can keep up.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 AM

294 posts, read 699,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Intresting link.

Today in Northern England we use some words used from that link.

In East Lancashire ..the (R) is over used, car becomes carrrrrrr.

The (G) in ING missed of ..I'm going Bowling becomes Bowlin

Over using the letter (A)..Aint becomes Aaaaint

For example, someone from East Lancashire would say. I Aaaaint Warshing the Carrrr today > i aint washing the car today

Lots more!

Last edited by Trotter67; 06-22-2009 at 02:18 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
I've been everyone in this state and for some reason 90% of the people I've heard talk, sound robotic, it's like they are being forced to talk or something. To have a conversation in this state is almost like communicating with a person through sign language.
Most of the folks I know in the northern Atlanta metro are not native, and have moved here from all over the country (or from outside the US), so I'm not sure how you are able to generalize their speech patterns.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
I guess in some ways I do wonder about something, you.

I do not know how old are you and if you have learned much about differences in people and cultures.

Where are you from?

I do not know if you have been in Texas. There is where I live. I am sure you will ask why do people in Texas speak so funny with their "Ya'lls, "howdys" and similar ways of pronouncing words, specially if you go to the border towns.

The bottom line? We all speak differently due to interacting with other people through the years, interaction with other cultures, their background in history, etc.

Sure, to me they seemed to speak slower but it was nothing to wonder why at all. Actually I liked their relaxed ways in areas of their lives. I lived in Norht Carolina when stationed at Ft. Bragg and travelled further down south to South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississipi. Lovely places!

Now, let me ask you a question. Why did you ask this question? Does it bother you? Was it hard for you to understand? I am curious to know. I will be honest, usually when people ask this type of questions tend to be because they do not like that difference.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,614 times
As the late, great Lewis Grizzard used to say, Delta is ready when you are!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Well, bless your lil ole heart!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Why would anyone try to assert that everyone in an entire state speaks the same way and at the same speed? They certainly don't.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,326 times
Uh....I....don't....know....what....you....mean... .{catches breath}.....I....talk....super.....fast.....maybe. ...your....brain....is.....just.....really....slow .........

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
That's funny.
I was born in north Georgia...and that's where my family's roots are. I get made fun of so often by snotty blue bloods in Louisiana, its almost too much to take.
I have been told only outside of GA that I sound like I'm too lazy to talk.. (having said that if the people in Lousiana MOVED any slower I'd shoot them)

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,124 times
Well, I believe that most natives of Ga or people from the Southern States don't speak slow. They run their words together where you cannot understand them. When you ask them to repeat what they have said. They speak louder as if you can't hear them. I have been in plenty of elementary classes. The children/students are speaking EBONICS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia