Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:59 AM

12,866 posts, read 9,611,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

Westlake Hills went 65-35 to Biden. And the immediate Austin suburbs are purple at best.
Welp there goes that argument. Oh well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 06:35 AM

26 posts, read 27,342 times
My second point was "It seems places like Denver, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Austin and D.C." left off those seem to true blue.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:04 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,123,470 times
In Cleveland, I would definitely say West Park, on the far West Side, has a lot of "red" voters. West Park is the highest (percentage-wise) non-Jewish White section of the City, and is historically conservative. A lot of cops/ex-cops reside there. WP is also something of a pseudo-suburban-ish area of town. That said, it would not shock me if, even West Park, titled "blue" in a number of elections, esp when Trump is on the ticket.

Little Italy, on the East Side, has historically been very conservative, too. I know in/around 2016 and after, I saw a number of Trump lawn signs and bumper stickers. However, this may be fading as Little Italy has become one of Cleveland's hottest/trendiest neighborhoods (sitting adjacent to University Circle, Cleveland's cultural hub, and a red-hot, trendy section of town in its own right), with several new substantial apartment and condo complexes that have gone up in this small/tight little area. A lot of non-Italian professionals and Case Western Reserve grad students (esp med students) and professors have moved into LI -- causing a lot of the old-line Italians to bolt for East Side suburban middle-class enclaves such as Lyndhurst and Mayfield Heights. One of LI's top/trendy tea shops - Algebra - is run by Middle Easterners, and LI has drawn a lot of young Asians to Little Italy: to the extent that the running joke is some dub the neighborhood as 'Little Asia,' with Asians, particularly younger Asians, definitely tilting leftward voting-wise. So Little Italy's solid 'red' rep, too, may be fading.

All this meaning that, even though there indeed some pockets of 'red' voters here and there in C-Town, there are really no hard-core Red/Conservative neighborhoods inside Cleveland. Texas/Alabama/Oklahoma, Cleveland is not.

Last edited by TheProf; 05-02-2024 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-02-2024, 07:11 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,332,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
In Cleveland, I would definitely say West Park has a lot of "red" voters. West Park is the highest (percentage-wise) non-Jewish White section of the City, and is historically conservative. A lot of cops/ex-cops reside there. WP is also something of a pseudo-suburban-ish area of town.
Maybe Little Italy, too? I don’t know voting patterns, but there’s a particular vibe/reputation in that part of Cleveland, as small of a neighborhood as it may be.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:23 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
Atlanta, up in Buckhead who are trying to secede.
Buckhead, not so much. True that there was a 'succession movement' that was cobbled together by a corrupt NY businessman (who harbored Trumpian aspirations of being its mayor) in league with a few Republican politicos that lived nowhere near the district. The bill never even made it out of committee. It never gained much traction with Buckhead residents; they simply found it 'A Bridge Too Far'.

https://apnews.com/article/buckhead-...6e0cc6f38e002c

A better example of a 'Red Island' in Atlanta's inner-ring suburbs is the community of Oak Grove, situated in NE Atlanta. A large portion of it has traditionally been populated by long-time residents that stay in order to be close to their church communities (a very big deal there). My mother lived there for years and definitely fit the profile.
In the center of Oak Grove is a combination meat market/lunch establishment that plays Fox News nonstop. Locals love to hang out there and grouse about the state on the union.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:26 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,123,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Maybe Little Italy, too? I don’t know voting patterns, but there’s a particular vibe/reputation in that part of Cleveland, as small of a neighborhood as it may be.
You're right... (check out my revised post, above)

Old 05-02-2024, 07:32 AM

99 posts, read 59,430 times
A great place to investigate this is:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html

Unfortunately, though, a few cities are missing.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:40 AM

2,567 posts, read 3,635,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
In Cleveland, I would definitely say West Park, on the far West Side, has a lot of "red" voters. West Park is the highest (percentage-wise) non-Jewish White section of the City, and is historically conservative. A lot of cops/ex-cops reside there. WP is also something of a pseudo-suburban-ish area of town. That said, it would not shock me if, even West Park, titled "blue" in a number of elections, esp when Trump is on the ticket.

Little Italy, on the East Side, has historically been very conservative, too. I know in/around 2016 and after, I saw a number of Trump lawn signs and bumper stickers. However, this may be fading as Little Italy has become one of Cleveland's hottest/trendiest neighborhoods (sitting adjacent to University Circle, Cleveland's cultural hub, and a red-hot, trendy section of town in its own right), with several new substantial apartment and condo complexes that have gone up in this small/tight little area. A lot of non-Italian professionals and Case Western Reserve grad students (esp med students) and professors have moved into LI -- causing a lot of the old-line Italians to bolt for East Side suburban middle-class enclaves such as Lyndhurst and Mayfield Heights. One of LI's top/trendy tea shops - Algebra - is run by Middle Easterners, and LI has drawn a lot of young Asians to Little Italy: to the extent that the running joke is some dub the neighborhood as 'Little Asia,' with Asians, particularly younger Asians, definitely tilting leftward voting-wise. So Little Italy's solid 'red' rep, too, may be fading.

All this meaning that, even though there indeed some pockets of 'red' voters here and there in C-Town, there are really no hard-core Red/Conservative neighborhoods inside Cleveland. Texas/Alabama/Oklahoma, Cleveland is not.
Prof, you seem to know a lot about the Little Italy area. I've just begun to get acquainted as my daughter is going to college there. It's a very nice area and seems very healthy and somewhat vibrant.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:09 AM

12,915 posts, read 22,082,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
Most cities are blue but I would ask about conservative areas in liberal strongholds and maybe if you guys had any anecdotal things to share on what's going there and why. Every time I look at maps each has sort of it's own story. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html

It seems places like Denver, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Austin and D.C.
For Boston I don't know if it's totally geography specific. The outer neighborhoods seemed to be slightly more "conservative" than the inner neighborhoods (1 in 5 votes for Trump vs. 1 in 6). But in my experience it has more to do with age/tenure of certain demographics than it did with conservative pockets of town. I saw it a lot in East Boston and Somerville. In Eastie, many of the older residents who had been there for generations leaned a bit more conservative. They were regulars on neighborhood social media groups and took issue with progressive policies and changes brought about by the changing demographics (the "yuppies" and the "spanish people"). But there wasn't a conservative enclave so to speak and the folks are just mixed in with everyone else in the neighborhood.

In Somerville, which is about as progressive as cities come in the U.S., there was a similar dynamic. The city is overwhelmingly progressive. And while it's changed from the city it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, there are still holdovers from the older days. Many of these people hate the city's progressive trajectory and the influx of "yuppies" and diverse populations. And many of them are are quite openly conservative on numerous issues (crime, drugs, immigration, etc) and at least oppose more policy efforts (taking of parking for bike lanes, traffic calming, etc.). They likely account for less than 10% of the city's population, but they're visible. Somerville has had a Trump wannabe candidate run for mayor the last several elections (and is now running for county register of deeds). He was largely panned and blown out, but he has a small, vocal contingent of support. Like Eastie, there's no single enclave for "conservatives." They just live around the city like everyone else.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:47 AM

974 posts, read 731,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
A great place to investigate this is:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html

Unfortunately, though, a few cities are missing.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. A few interesting observations:

- South Brooklyn is waaaay more conservative than I thought (I knew it was quite conservative), with large tranches >90% for Trump
- There are a few districts in Los Angeles that voted for Trump with a singular (i.e. one) vote. That seems efficient...
- Beverly Hills is more conservative than I assumed
- Washington DC is the most liberal city in the east, and looks similar to Seattle/Portland in that regard; it seems conservatives would pick VA as a place to live if they worked in DC, too bad that data is missing to get a better gauge of the metro area as a whole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.