Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Encompassing 21% of the worlds fresh water with shoreline bordering 8 states and one Canadian province the Great Lakes are a huge topographical presence and very valuable resource on the North American map. Though with industrial decline and a population exodus in parts (though some exceptional growth in others) I feel this is one part of the US that's undervalued. In Canada not as much as Toronto has seen impressive and exponential growth in the past 30 years. Places like Cleveland and Detroit have declined though efforts and ideas are in place for improvement. I'd like this thread to be a discussion for all things Great Lakes. Here are some talking points for the Great Lakes which could be perhaps in the future North Americas most valuable resource.

- Notable recreation areas and beaches
- your favorite Great Lake
- your favorite city on the Great Lakes
- Hidden gems
- discuss the metro areas along their shoreline, good, bad, or indifference.
- untapped potential
- economic deline & prosperity
- climate
- water levels
- industry & shipping
- anything else you'd like to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
nice idea for a thread. You could call it "America's North Coast."

I just want to contribute a little factoid: Selkirk Shores State Park (NY) is the WORST beach on Lake Ontario. Any other beach would be better. That is all.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Its the best region in the country
Mostly peaceful. But still great cities like Milwaukee, Buffalo, Cleveland, Toronto and Chicago.
I'm mostly familiar with the MN, WI, MI area. really would love to explore the great lakes in OH, PA, NY area

Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 PM

196 posts, read 658,296 times
Absolutely underrated.

We've got all that you need to live comfortably, but people don't like the snow and the kind of moderate tone of our region, so they gravitate to the more liberal coasts or the more libertarian south.

My personal favorite Great Lakes city is Chicago. I've heard lots of non-Midwesterners call it the greatest city in America and I don't disagree.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
The Great Lakes region encompasses such a huge variety of places, doesn't it!

Lately I've been living near Duluth/Superior which (for those who don't know) are on the far western shores of Lake Superior. I've never understood why Superior (on flat land) didn't grow to be the dominant city. Duluth's hilly streets in the winter scare the bejeebers out of me! And Superior is now kind of a grungy city with a fair amount of crime. The North Shore is a popular vacation road, but a little too well traveled for me.

One of the most fun vacations I've ever taken was a trip around the UP of Michigan. I meant to make it all the way to Mackinac but ran out of time. I discovered & fell in love with Fayette Historic State Park - fascinating ghost town, lovely place to camp, nice rocky beaches and friendly happy people. Copper Harbor was cool and I really enjoyed Fort Wilkins. Too many people were camping there, though -very overcrowded. And I confess that I never went to Isle Royale because I'm so scared of wolves. But I will sometime soon, I promise!

I also keep meaning to take the circuit trip around Lake Superior. One of these days.

I lived for a time in Milwaukee and really enjoyed the Lake Michigan shoreline - and the cool art museum on the shore, and the annual summer festival.

I know that I've driven along lakes Erie and Ontario, but never Huron.

Has anyone here ever stepped a toe in Lake Huron? What's it like?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Absolutely underrated.

We've got all that you need to live comfortably, but people don't like the snow and the kind of moderate tone of our region, so they gravitate to the more liberal coasts or the more libertarian south.

My personal favorite Great Lakes city is Chicago. I've heard lots of non-Midwesterners call it the greatest city in America and I don't disagree.
Yes, underrated, and possibly waiting to be rediscovered; Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and MSP are my favorites..

As far as physical attributes go, I think some coasties have a strong preference for the ocean, but they might change their minds if they saw Lake Michigan....which is extremely underrated..

The lesser cost-of-living is a real plus, though..

Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yes, underrated, and possibly waiting to be rediscovered; Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and MSP are my favorites..

As far as physical attributes go, I think some coasties have a strong preference for the ocean, but they might change their minds if they saw Lake Michigan....which is extremely underrated..

The lesser cost-of-living is a real plus, though..
Great thread, you guys are giving me the itch for a road trip to your area... honestly it sounds very nice. Ive only been to Detroit and Ann Arbor in the dead of winter so not seen the best the area has to offer at the right time of year for sure.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I love the gorgeous sunsets over Lake Ontario in the Oswego NY area. Westcott Beach near Sackets Harbor is nice. Sackets Harbor and Cape Vincent, where Lake Ontario meets the St. Lawrence River, are hidden gems. Sodus Point, Fair Haven State Park and Ontario Beach Park(Charlotte neighborhood of Rochester) are some other places on Lake Ontario to check out. Some may like this drive: Great Lakes Seaway Trail

Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
The Great lakes are fascinating.

It always amazes me to think about this large body of water Lake Michigan.

It amazes me that people do not realize the size of the lakes.

Its amazing at the vast amount of fresh water contained in the Great Lakes.

Truely inland seas.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I don't think people realize the depth of the Great Lakes. At our place in Florida we're near a large chain of lakes, avg depth approx 6 feet. Lake Ontario can run 200 plus feet right off it's various (international) port cities. Even places along the ocean are less. The short distance between waves when it's rough also make it more dangerous than the swells found in ocean coastal places. People will be surprised to know that in crossing the lakes you can actually be out of sight of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.