Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 12:03 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Motorcycles have to be loud so that they can alert motorists they are near. Safety issue. However agree with whoever said bikers are the ultimate look at me types
I am a motorcyclist. Loud pipes save lives has been pretty widely debunked. Unless you are at a stop it is hard to hear a motorcycle approaching if you are in a car.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:55 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,872,571 times
It's the sound of freedom!

Sure - for you. It's the sound of annoyance for everyone else. Kinda th epoint of this OP. I think everyone understands you like it IF IT'S YOU. But sometimes - ya gotta read the room. The world ain't all about you.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:56 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I am a motorcyclist. Loud pipes save lives has been pretty widely debunked. Unless you are at a stop it is hard to hear a motorcycle approaching if you are in a car.
Wow......somebody that understands it!

Old 04-17-2024, 05:22 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Motorcycles have to be loud so that they can alert motorists they are near. Safety issue. However agree with whoever said bikers are the ultimate look at me types
That is a new one:>)
This morning I had a 500 Fiat creep up on the lane next to me at a red light. It was roaring like a real car. Well, nothing like a Harley pushing a Fiat so to say.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:24 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
It's the sound of freedom!

Sure - for you. It's the sound of annoyance for everyone else. Kinda th epoint of this OP. I think everyone understands you like it IF IT'S YOU. But sometimes - ya gotta read the room. The world ain't all about you.
It is all about you if you are in the middle of nowhere with a tank of gas and you can feel it. Hard to explain. Like sailing when the bottom lifts to surf mode. Seconds take on a life of their own.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:50 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Wow......somebody that understands it!

I'm like the anti-motorcyclist motorcyclist. I ride more than I drive and do as many errands as I can on my motorcycle.

I ride a sportbike, a Honda CBR600RR, and the previous owner swapped in a loud exhaust. I try to be as quiet as I can especially in my neighborhood, as I have been unable to find a quieter exhaust that isn't obscenely expensive. But I would argue that sportbikes are generally less audibly painful at lower rpms than many Harleys, although that changes as they get closer to redline.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,872,571 times
if you are in the middle of nowhere

Totally agree. But if you are in the middle of nowhere...then the OP would have nothing to complain about.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
There's something about the rumble of an American V-8 and the stattico thumping of a big bore V-twin Harley-Davidson that makes my blood run hot! It's the sound of freedom! I agree on the music tho, Give me a high RPM scream going up a hill or a fast launch anytime! Music to my ears.
The sound of a marching mariachi band makes my blood run hot so I'm taking up the cymbals and will utilize my rights to practice the "sound of freedom" with the band outside varying offenders homes starting at 8am every Saturday. Gotta love freedom, right?

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,675 times
As someone who lives near a busy 50 mph road, loud knobby tires are just as bad as loud exhaust. Even worse the loud tires frequently go along with a loud after market exhaust on a pickup truck.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

6,568 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I am a gearhead and used to be a musician. I also used to race cars, not V8 but I will say there is nothing like the sound of a good V8.

I live in an area that used to be quiet, but it's gotten increasingly louder as the years go on. Like so many have said, the little cars with the big rattling speakers - there is no world where those speakers are producing good music. The exhausts make the cars sound like they run horribly. I come from an era where the best cars were sticks, so hearing a loud 4 cyl with an auto makes me laugh (then I want to run them into a ditch). It just sounds like a loud car with no power.

There are a few neighborhoods nearby with smaller less expensive houses and much of the noise seems to generate from there. There is rarely a time it's quiet.

Glad some of you can tune it out, I'm looking at ear plugs this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.