Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I am a motorcyclist. Loud pipes save lives has been pretty widely debunked. Unless you are at a stop it is hard to hear a motorcycle approaching if you are in a car.
Anecdotally I would say that loud pipes are a benefit. People quit almost changing lanes into me after I made my bike loud. It was too loud even for me, but I wasn’t in a hurry to quiet it down after that, either.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
On days when I leave for work at 5am in my F150 with the 5.0 V8 I drive slow and at or below the speed limit until I get out of the neighborhood. None have ever complained, in fact a few have asked me to haul things for them. Back in the early 2000s I had a 1972 El Camino with a nice Flowmaster dual exhaust and when I left for work I'm afraid people might have known it. Still they never complained, and most of the neighbors here then have retired and moved.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The exhausts make the cars sound like they run horribly.
I saw an older 80s-era Mustang next to me the other day that was beautiful to look at, but the driver kept mashing the gas and letting off, over and over. It sounded like an icemaker dumping cubes in an empty tray. Blap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap...Blap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap...

What in the world? Who actually thinks that sounds good?

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I saw an older 80s-era Mustang next to me the other day that was beautiful to look at, but the driver kept mashing the gas and letting off, over and over. It sounded like an icemaker dumping cubes in an empty tray. Blap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap...Blap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap-pap...

What in the world? Who actually thinks that sounds good?
Apparently the driver does. But not me!

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On days when I leave for work at 5am in my F150 with the 5.0 V8 I drive slow and at or below the speed limit until I get out of the neighborhood. None have ever complained, in fact a few have asked me to haul things for them. Back in the early 2000s I had a 1972 El Camino with a nice Flowmaster dual exhaust and when I left for work I'm afraid people might have known it. Still they never complained, and most of the neighbors here then have retired and moved.

Back in the late 70s, I had a Pontiac Trans Am, and in those days, the Hooker Headers company was making the "sidemount headers". Initially, it was just for Corvettes, but over time, they expanded the line to include systems for Camaros, Chevelles, and Firebirds. I installed the system on my car, and I have to admit, those sidepipes were rather loud.....great tone, but loud.

At the time, I was working the "night shift", 11:30PM to 8AM, meaning I was leaving home around 11PM, and returning at 8:30AM. And like you, I "tiptoed" in and out of the neighborhood....

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Love the low rumble sound of an old big block V8.....nothing like it!
Harley motorcycles...not so much...

What I really don't like is hearing the sound squealing tires in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.