Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:52 AM

3,537 posts, read 9,449,302 times

Advertisements

The suburbs of Rochester, Syracuse and Albany, NY in the summer.

Close to the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes Wine Country, Catskills, Thousand Islands, Lake Ontario Beaches and countryside rolling hills with many scenic lakes, gorges, and hiking trails.

Many summer festivals, fairs, concerts and sporting events too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 04:33 AM

10,764 posts, read 23,889,013 times
Spring: DC, Atlanta, New Orleans (I love spring in the South)

Summer: Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle

Fall: NYC, Boston, Philly

Winter: To enjoy winter with amenities - Salt Lake City & Quebec City, Canada
to escape Miami, San Juan, Honolulu

Old 05-07-2024, 06:20 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
This is not meant as an attack on Texas cities. There are a lot of nice days every season in Texas cities.
But, summers are way too hot. Winters can be really warm or cold, same with spring and fall. You just never know. Austin has already hit 90 before May.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:25 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Close to the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes Wine Country, Catskills, Thousand Islands, Lake Ontario Beaches and countryside rolling hills with many scenic lakes, gorges, and hiking trails.

I would agree with this. Most of my extended family is in the Rochester area and we used to visit for several weeks every summer growing up. Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, tons of natural lakes and outdoor recreational activities. Some of my best childhood memories are summers spent in Upstate NY.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:47 AM

6,846 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I would agree with this. Most of my extended family is in the Rochester area and we used to visit for several weeks every summer growing up. Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, tons of natural lakes and outdoor recreational activities. Some of my best childhood memories are summers spent in Upstate NY.

I find in general in the colder climates, a big chunk of life is packed into summer, so there's a certain mystique around summer that becomes less and less prominent the further south you head.

I remember as a kid growing up in a Northern climate that there was just a general vibe of excitement and giddiness in May/June . Not only was the end of the school year in sight, of course, but also there suddenly were a lot more house parties, events to attend and generally people just came out of their shell a bit. It's like everyone's default tone of voice and facial expression moved a little closer to the 'happy' end of the spectrum.

Of course, on the flip side September and October brought a certain melancholy with them that worked in the reverse. In the North, there's something wistful to those last mild days.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:58 AM

16,142 posts, read 10,826,282 times
Albuquerque has a great four-season climate, but it is especially enjoyable in the fall. The Bosque Forest cottonwoods along the Rio Grande paint a vibrant gold swath all through the city. The weather is particularly nice with crisp mornings and sunny days. Fall hiking in the mountains is popular or maybe a trip out into the desert. The Pueblos have feast days in September and October. The NM State Fair is in early September and almost every weekend has an event, large or small, after that. The International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta takes place in early October bringing balloons from all over the world and thousands of visitors. This is a "bucket list" event for many people. After the Balloon Fiesta there is a sweet lull when the crowds go away, and the locals enjoy their favorite places or pastimes. The UNM Lobos football schedule gains attention. The Isotopes baseball games continue into September and the NM United soccer team plays into October. What we consider winter arrives around or shortly after Thanksgiving.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:11 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,647,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-CHI-CO View Post
Chicago is a summer city. I agree with Miami for winter and DC for spring. Somewhere back east for fall, or the Midwest, since the nice cool temperatures and leaves changing.... Although Denver is a great fall city too.
Denver is on the western edge of the Great Plains, so, technically, Denver is a Midwestern city.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:52 AM

6,846 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Denver is on the western edge of the Great Plains, so, technically, Denver is a Midwestern city.

I wouldn't agree with that because the Midwest isn't a geographic concept primarily. It includes parts of several landscapes, and for instance we consider Ohio which has cities that are only a little over 300 miles from NYC and includes significant parts of Appalachia a Midwestern state. And you could say there's quite a bit of a regional gap between say NE Ohio and say western Kansas and yet both are widely considered Midwestern. Personally I think that once you get west of the Mississippi you get a very different regional flavor and arguably the Great Plains are a separate region from the old Midwest.

But even beyond that Denver in particular I think has a distinct Mountain West vibe. Even though it is not technically *in* the Rocky Mountains, it's pointed toward those mountains, not the massive plains to its East. You can see that in how the state of Colorado is developed- there isn't much between the Denver metro and the Nebraska state line. The conglomeration is developing along the border between mountains and plains because proximity to those mountains is an important factor driving development even if it's impractical to have huge cities *in* the mountains themselves.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:10 PM

16,142 posts, read 10,826,282 times
Cheyenne, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo are not Midwest cities. Wichita, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Omaha would be Plains/Midwestern.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:00 PM

93,888 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Even within those cities, some of the most prominent events take place during the summer and even into the Fall.

Fall can be nice with the changing of leaves/foliage, apple picking/cider/fritters, Football/Soccer, etc.

This goes for the Buffalo area as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-07-2024 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.