Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the OP is confusing satellite cities with regional cities. It is true that regional cities can be in the shadow of larger cities or metros, but calling them satellite seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Example of cities that are regional cities and are in the so-called "shadow" of others...

Sacramento to San Francisco
San Diego to Los Angeles
Milwaukee to Chicago
Portland to Seattle
Orlando to Tampa Bay
Columbus to Cleveland and/or Cincinnati
Birmingham to Atlanta?
Baltimore to Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL, what? That's just disrespectful. I know people born and raised in Philly that have barely even been to NYC-and vice versa. The two cities are very much independent and grew up separately.

Philly has its own satellite cities

Camden, NJ
Trenton, NJ
Chester, PA
Wilmington, DE
Atlantic City, NJ (and other shoretowns like Wildwood, Cape May, Avalon)
Vineland, NJ
Pottstown, PA
Norristown, PA
Conshohocken, PA
King Of Prussia, PA

And Probably

Bethlehem/Allentown
Lancaster
York
Reading
Ok let's not overdo it. Yes, you are 100% correct that Philly is no way whatsoever a satellite city of NY. But from your list, I would place Wilmington, and the last 4 you mentioned as satellite cities. The others seem to be part of the metro area. But not from your neck of the woods, just an outsider's opinion.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Perhaps the OP is confusing satellite cities with regional cities. It is true that regional cities can be in the shadow of larger cities or metros, but calling them satellite seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Example of cities that are regional cities and are in the so-called "shadow" of others...

Sacramento to San Francisco
San Diego to Los Angeles
Milwaukee to Chicago
Portland to Seattle
Orlando to Tampa Bay
Columbus to Cleveland and/or Cincinnati
Birmingham to Atlanta?
Baltimore to Washington?
I disagree about San Diego to Los Angeles. I would say Long Beach instead.Long Beach is kind of interesting. Is it a regional city or a satellite city? Or is it too close in proximity that it should just be considered part of the LA metro? (I know its part of the MSA - but it is kind of unique in terms of its population, density, and its downtown.)

Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I disagree about San Diego to Los Angeles. I would say Long Beach instead.Long Beach is kind of interesting. Is it a regional city or a satellite city? Or is it too close in proximity that it should just be considered part of the LA metro? (I know its part of the MSA - but it is kind of unique in terms of its population, density, and its downtown.)
It's an edge city, just like Tacoma and Bellevue are to Seattle.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
Cleveland is independent and the satellite cities are Akron, Canton, Youngstown, and Warren. Each of those cities have satellite towns that are better than the larger cities.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Chicago has:
Evanston, IL
Joliet, IL
Gary, IN
Milwaukee, WI

NYC has:
Newark, NJ
White Plains, NY
Stamford, CT
New Rochelle, NY
Norwalk, CT
Bridgeport, CT
New Haven, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Yonkers, Waterbury

Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Raleigh and Durham, NC are about the same thing.
Actually Raleigh is 75% larger than Durham and Wake County is more than 3 times as populated as Durham County. Additionally, Raleigh's entire MSA is more than twice the population of Durham's. There are many other ways in which both Raleigh and Durham will tell you why the two cities aren't "about the same thing" and, due to the competitive nature of the area, both will surely tell you why their city is better than the other.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Actually Raleigh is 75% larger than Durham and Wake County is more than 3 times as populated as Durham County. Additionally, Raleigh's entire MSA is more than twice the population of Durham's. There are many other ways in which both Raleigh and Durham will tell you why the two cities aren't "about the same thing" and, due to the competitive nature of the area, both will surely tell you why their city is better than the other.
I thought they were the same MSA? My mistake. I didn't know there was a little rivalry going on down there lol interesting.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I thought they were the same MSA? My mistake. I didn't know there was a little rivalry going on down there lol interesting.
Separate MSAs but one CSA. They used to be one MSA before the 2003 revisions though.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM

135 posts, read 149,352 times
A lot of people don't know this, but Utica, NY and Newburgh, NY are 2 HEAVY NYC satellites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.