Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:12 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
This is way too broad, Satellite Cities are usually in or near the metropolitan area of the parent city. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_town

For Detroit
- Pontiac
- Flint
- Ann Arbor
- Toledo
- Windsor
Okay, so you could qualify those as moons and Detroit as a planet, but what is the sun that Detroit orbits around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 12:27 PM

302 posts, read 769,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Okay, so you could qualify those as moons and Detroit as a planet, but what is the sun that Detroit orbits around?
Cities that anchor metros of 5 million people just aren't Satellite cities, especially to bigger cities that are hundreds of miles away.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Detroit doesn't revolve around any city in any way. We are talking about one of the largest metros in America. Not only that but a pretty old city that has it's own culture, food, sports, music, identity, ect.

I can't imagine any city that large being a satellite city, even Philly has it's own identity despite being so close to NYC.

I find it hard to believe Cleveland revolves around NYC and Chicago despite it's smaller size.

Milwaukee might be an exception because their metro areas just about overlap and Milwaukee is alot smaller than Chicago.
Dallas could probably claim Ft. Worth.
Miami could probably claim Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach
DC might be able to claim Baltimore but I'm not so sure about that one.
NYC can claim Newark.
Raleigh and Durham, NC are about the same thing.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Detroit doesn't revolve around any city in any way. We are talking about one of the largest metros in America. Not only that but a pretty old city that has it's own culture, food, sports, music, identity, ect.

I can't imagine any city that large being a satellite city, even Philly has it's own identity despite being so close to NYC.

I find it hard to believe Cleveland revolves around NYC and Chicago despite it's smaller size.

Milwaukee might be an exception because their metro areas just about overlap and Milwaukee is alot smaller than Chicago.
NYC can claim Newark.
Basically what I mean is when people want to go to the "big city" (10 mill plus metro) do they go to New York or Chicago? When I lived in MN, they went to Chicago. Here in Cleveland it's a split between NY and Chicago.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Basically what I mean is when people want to go to the "big city" (10 mill plus metro) do they go to New York or Chicago? When I lived in MN, they went to Chicago. Here in Cleveland it's a split between NY and Chicago.
Oh I think I see what your saying. Although I don't think Chicago is quite at 10 million yet (is it?).

When people I know from Detroit visit Chicago it's mostly for either family, friends, a Detroit vs Chicago game, or sometimes just to hangout for a weekend. I don't think that really qualifies though, alot of people say it's a bigger version of Detroit and that's why they love visiting. NYC on the other hand is the first city that comes to mind when talking about a "big city experience". When most people I know visit NYC it's mostly to experience the whole New York vibe and stuff. So ig NYC would be it. People who visit always come back saying how busy and crowded it was and how it was so much going on, ect. But people from around the globe visit NYC so that isn't too surprising.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Cleverfield: Sorry but this is your futile attempt to keep pounding this fallacy that Cleveland or the eastern part of Clevleand is an East Coast city. Nice try. Just stop. You're city is not accepted, get over it. Cleveland is Cleveland - its not a cousin to Boston or NYC. Heck, even people who live in Buffalo are not so concerned about establishing their "East Coast" identity.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:51 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
They don't. The majority of people I know in the Boston area have never been to NYC, let alone do it as some sort or regular trip to the "big city".
once you get beyond 2-2.5 hours (w/o traffic) from a place it loses almost all of its influence beyond sports fandoms.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

I can't imagine any city that large being a satellite city, even Philly has it's own identity despite being so close to NYC. DC can have Fredericksburg, VA.

NYC can claim Newark.
DC can't claim Baltimore. Baltimore is it's own city and metro in its own right. Baltimore can claim York, PA, thought.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Cleverfield: Sorry but this is your futile attempt to keep pounding this fallacy that Cleveland or the eastern part of Clevleand is an East Coast city. Nice try. Just stop. You're city is not accepted, get over it. Cleveland is Cleveland - its not a cousin to Boston or NYC. Heck, even people who live in Buffalo are not so concerned about establishing their "East Coast" identity.
That wasn't my attempt at all. Cleveland is an Eastern Great Lakes city (same family as Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, maybe Toronto). Nonetheless, smaller cities always seem to have a big city that they look up to, and perhaps try to emulate. In Cleveland I notice that we look up to New York. In Minneapolis they look up to Chicago. I was simply wondering if there were other mid-sized cities that similarly look up to a big city.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Another attempt by an unabashed Cleveland booster to try and make that city appear like a cultural Mecca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.