Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times

Advertisements

This thread bordered on the incomprehensible from the outset.
As subsequent posters (Roku, MQ) made things clearer, the whole point was reduced to "I post.. because I can".
Glad I did not attempt a response.

Oh, wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 07:57 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This is where the line is between prudent saving and hoarding. If it's good to have a spare, how many spares? Am I saving things I might need, or saving things that "someone" might need? If I need a particular thing I have saved, will I be able to find it when needed?
Two, at most, depending on what the item is, its shelf life, and its cost. "Two is one, and one is none" is usually a sensible phrase to remember.

Storage becomes hoarding when you have no idea what you even have or where it is. I can't tolerate these types of people anymore - I've seen so much waste and loss it's a crying shame. Like tons of food that gets spoiled or infested by vermin, or perfectly good lumber ruined by the weather because they have nowhere to store it.

If you can't manage it, pass it on to someone who can use it now.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:54 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Probably because they found out you're a Book Person.

(I'm not mocking you...I've been through it myself a few times. They always say "Boy you have a lot of books" and you can tell by the look on their face they sorely regret signing up to help.)
LMAO It looks like a lot of books because I have them all in small plastic totes. I did that deliberately so that I would be able to pick them up and move them by myself but what I forgot is, I can't move the heavy bookcases.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:44 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
LMAO It looks like a lot of books because I have them all in small plastic totes. I did that deliberately so that I would be able to pick them up and move them by myself but what I forgot is, I can't move the heavy bookcases.
Talk to folks at local churches, the commercial counter at Lowe's/HD/senior center/library, UHaul moving crews work by the hour.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:47 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Please, kind elder, keep to the subject.

Just in case others are thinking I am talking of storage sheds, I am not. I am talking about when a moving company will come and pickup your stuff to put it in storage, like with this company: https://www.allmysons.com/austin/index.aspx
I can only tell you that when we moved our moving company gave us a certain amount of time to keep our belongings in storage while our house was being built and we were living in an apartment. Once that time was up we had the option of either taking delivery of the items or, if that was not possible, paying to keep the items in storage (not cheap!). If we had not continued to pay for the storage fee, our items would have been auctioned off and we likely would have gotten a hefty bill on top of that.

Have you, or anyone else, been paying the monthly storage fee? If not, those items are likely long gone. If you have been paying for monthly storage, then I would contact the moving company and ask them directly about how best to go about retrieving your items.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:02 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
People that won't get rid of anything, even if they will never use it, must hate their children.

I think many people feel that having stuff adds to their worth. It doesn't. It's just stuff.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:23 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
People that won't get rid of anything, even if they will never use it, must hate their children.

I think many people feel that having stuff adds to their worth. It doesn't. It's just stuff.
For some people it’s a psychological problem and they literally can’t get rid of things. If you cleaned out someone’s house while they were gone they would just fill it with junk again. There’s varying degrees of this problem.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:42 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
um..the OP was apparently banned 5-6 days ago...I think what needed to be said, was.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:21 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
um..the OP was apparently banned 5-6 days ago...I think what needed to be said, was.
She's not actually banned, she just changed her status to "Not a Member" manually. She still has the scales icon on her posts so she's still here in good stead.

Getting back to stuff in storage - I guess it is a lot more complicated than "If you didn't use it for a full year, toss it!", like I said that's simplistic at best.

Now I will say that storing "stuff" that's bulky and not very valuable, or has a relatively short shelf life, does not make a lot of sense. Particularly renting a storage unit for it. But stuff like mechanic's tools, yeah, it's stupid to ever give those away or "toss" them. Or various emergency equipment that you hope to never have to use, but if you need it, you need it now. Things like first aid kits and fire extinguishers. Although these probably don't need to go into a storage unit, you need them at your place handy for use.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 994,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
She's not actually banned, she just changed her status to "Not a Member" manually. She still has the scales icon on her posts so she's still here in good stead.
I believe the scales thing means the member is on a temporary "time out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Now I will say that storing "stuff" that's bulky and not very valuable, or has a relatively short shelf life, does not make a lot of sense. Particularly renting a storage unit for it. But stuff like mechanic's tools, yeah, it's stupid to ever give those away or "toss" them. Or various emergency equipment that you hope to never have to use, but if you need it, you need it now. Things like first aid kits and fire extinguishers. Although these probably don't need to go into a storage unit, you need them at your place handy for use.
Agree for the most part. Someone with a hoarding-type issue, though, would have 12 first aid kits:
5 have items that expired in 2003
6 are lost somewhere in the house
1 is ok but half-empty...so gotta go buy 5 more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues