Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 03:59 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Now that you've moved, does your new home still feel temporary? Like you are just there for a short time and will be going HOME to the house you just moved from because that is still HOME?

Does that even make sense?

Absolutely makes sense.

19 years and counting here and I wake up every morning and say "I want to go home." Yes it's sad but it's a fact.

Sometimes I feel 'bad' for the house; odd thing to say but in terms of I'm leaving a negative impression on a house that will remain when I'm gone. A ghost of my 19 years of discontent.

This isn't home, it's not where my soul is at rest. I go home to a certain region, not state or city per se, and I don't feel this constant vibration or tremor. There is a true feeling of being at ease *there,* not here.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:33 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Absolutely makes sense.

19 years and counting here and I wake up every morning and say "I want to go home." Yes it's sad but it's a fact.

Sometimes I feel 'bad' for the house; odd thing to say but in terms of I'm leaving a negative impression on a house that will remain when I'm gone. A ghost of my 19 years of discontent.

This isn't home, it's not where my soul is at rest. I go home to a certain region, not state or city per se, and I don't feel this constant vibration or tremor. There is a true feeling of being at ease *there,* not here.
Well, one's attitude, day to day, about life in general and not just the house, maybe be part of it. So often soon after I get home, I say to the cats, "Good to be home!". As I often comment, once home to the ranch, it takes a lot to budge me away from it.

Attitude, lifestyle, how we see life, are we living in synch with it. The first hour of the day for me, writing in my diaries up in the loft, cooking as a cowgirl on the range top, cowboy coffee, all these things mesh with what I am in a perfect world.

GRANTED, they probably wouldn't (or would need some serious delusional imagination) if I was in the city in an apartment in a galley kitchen.

It is so much what our state of mind is.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Now that you've moved, does your new home still feel temporary? Like you are just there for a short time and will be going HOME to the house you just moved from because that is still HOME?

Does that even make sense?
It does make a lot of sense to me. But, it doesn’t apply to me.

I have moved a lot and travel a lot and usually after a few nights, i am comfortable with where I am staying. Moved into a new home a few months ago and while it is where I vote, I don’t sleep there more than 4 nights in a row.

Went on a trip a few weeks ago and stayed in a vbro for 6 nights, by second night I was sleeping soundly. I know I am probably the exception.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
My first solo apartment and subsequent rentals all felt like home(s) in short order. Even my college dorm room (stayed in the same one for the entire time by choice) felt like home when I lived there. I like being part of an established community. Living in various Pittsburgh neighborhoods gave me that sense of community even when I was a renter living amongst a mix of homeowners and other renters.

The two houses in which I lived during my marriage always felt like my former spouse and I were just "passing through," even though we did take proper care of them during our time of ownership. In the lead up to our eventual separation, we both realized that the way that we felt about those houses didn't reflect so much the state of our marriage, but that neither of us truly wished to live the affluent exurban dream. Those neighborhoods, while very nice, always had such a transitory feel to them and both of really wanted to put down roots either in the city or as close as we could get to it in one of the inner ring 'burbs.

This mini-money pit of mine that's intended to be my forever home felt right from the first walk-through. Nearly a decade later, it feels even more like where I'm meant to be.

It's my little piece of earth; my bit of the American dream right here in my beloved adopted hometown.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I totally get it. In 2010 I built a home that I designed to be our forever home. It never felt that way. As a matter of fact some of the items I stored in my parents' house while building the forever home never made it there and are still in my parents' basement. After 8 years, we sold our beautiful custom built, energy efficient, passive solar home and moved into a 100 year old fixer. This home feels more like home but it still is not quite the same feeling as the first home that I built 30 years ago. In retrospect that was the last home that felt like home, a place where we raised our children, where I could lay down at night, get a good night's sleep, and not feel like I was just in a temporary holding pattern. It was a place that felt comfortable, a place where precious memories were made and where everything I owned had its own place. It was the last place that I felt a sense of permanency. Now, semi-retired, I don't know if I will ever have that feeling again.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:53 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Our first house that we bought felt like home from the very beginning. We brought our newborns home to that house and we have many happy memories there.

Our current house has always been comfortable but I've never felt that we would stay in the area that we are in. We've been here for close to 10 years and we've enjoyed our time here but this is not where we are going to spend our retirement years. I've known from the beginning that we would one day move from here. Now that the kids are leaving the nest, we've started to think about where we'll call home next.

Old 08-23-2023, 06:20 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
We built a very nice brick rancher on a 3 acre parcel....never liked it, sold it after 2 years and in 1982 we bought a big, 80 year old 3 story home (for a song) that needed work. It has always felt like home, and today, it's absolutely beautiful w/new paint, heating, windows, lovely original wood floors, and a gorgeous front yard. We've had a great life here! It's Home.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:42 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
I assimilate pretty quick...a month or two is all it takes.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:35 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I'm always stumped by how many live with bare white or beige walls and a supposed otherwise well-thought-out design. Art and photos in my opinion personalize a home and provide that final stamp of a rooted existence.

Old 08-28-2023, 11:16 AM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Well I think "feelings" like that about dwellings are for emotional people - which I'm not. But I'd say it takes a good year for muscle memory.

Locations? Sure. Been in Florida 15 years, grew up here part time my whole life but it's "Florida" not my home. The people are not my people. The weather not my weather. The culture not my culture.

Where I can never move back to because of political deterrants like crime and Naked Bike Riding events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues