Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:21 AM

35 posts, read 17,999 times

Advertisements

We had to move 3000 miles. After doing all the research I could, I just could not feel comfortable using a major moving company as everything I tried to contact one I ended up getting brokers. When you book thru a broker they give you a price then either they or the moving company will hold your items for ransom stating the other party is at fault. PODS had a lot of restrictions as to where they delivered and not the best reviews. We went with ABS U pack trailers. We hired loaders and unloaded for extra. They both charged a couple of hundred over estimate and frankly the ones we hired for unloading really sucked, however we moved during peak time and were lucky to get what we got. All in counting two trailers, shipping a motorcycle, and using two 27 foot trailers with loaders an unloaded it cost roughly $15,000. Mind you we kept our antiques and books so our costs were high even while downsizing from five bedroom to three bedroom house. Moving company estimates ranged from $27,000 (Ukranian or Russian broker so assume a hefty ransom would be required) to $60,000 with majority of estimates being in $45,000 range. Pricing increases to premium rates after May 1st for most companies up to start of school year. Yes you can cut costs by extreme purging but remember to include replacement costs for furniture and stuff you purged and realize you will still need. Freebie sites are good but quality and availability vary greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 10:31 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Downsize your 200 boxes of stuff! I bet you could whittle it down to 100 boxes or less.

Watch videos on YOu Tube that talk about downsizing, i know you might say no way will i do that - i need all my 200 boxes of stuff.

But i bet you could truly whittle it down if you tried. that will save a lot of money in many ways and time spent packing and unpacking, etc.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 7,877 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it.

I make fused glass pieces. The price on the glass has increased considerably and some of the colors are no longer available. That is what I have in most of my boxes. I know that it is crazy but not sure if I could replace them so I don't want to part with them. Hopefully, I will not regret that later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues