Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 24,777 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Manhattan to FL. Has anyone ever used U-pack? Any recommendations for reliable moving companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 81,132 times
I will be using them in 2 weeks moving from Northern VA to GA. Our quote for 2 relocubes is a little over $1200. We'll keep our stuff at their storageuntil we find a placeI will be sure to report back to let you know how the process went.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 18,240 times
U-pack is a very affordable service, and perfect for moving across the country at very reasonable cost. Since they do not use air ride vans, you will want to make sure that the trailer is loaded tightly so that the load will not shift around. Air ride vans have extra suspension in place so that they glide across the road and do not put a lot of stress on the load. Freight trailers such as U-pack basically feel every little bump in the road. This is why it is important to make sure the load will not shift, and you will be satisfied with the move when you get where you are going.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM

69 posts, read 246,476 times
Last June I moved from Brooklyn, NY to Houston TX and used ABF moving. THEY WERE EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing but AWESOME!! My things only took 3 days to arrive and you can track in online. Since you have to pack the trailer yourself and you receive it empty(no one's stuff is packed with yours) you can use as much space as needed. I think we used 15 feet and paid about $2200. My things arrived several hours before my family and they waited for us. Nothing was broken,just shifted and I would most def. use them again

Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Absolutely would recommend ABF/UPack. Very good customer service & very competitive rates. Our items arrived in 3 days.

Recommend really securing things in the truck. If you hire movers, watch them 24/7 to make sure they are really using the space well & securing things.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:10 PM

260 posts, read 909,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Absolutely would recommend ABF/UPack. Very good customer service & very competitive rates. Our items arrived in 3 days.

Recommend really securing things in the truck. If you hire movers, watch them 24/7 to make sure they are really using the space well & securing things.
Agree we used ABF 5 years ago and would not hesitate to use them again. Had a empty trailer dropped off and picked up 3 days later and our stuff was at our home 1200 miles away 3 days after it was picked up.. We packed it and not one thing damaged.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
I just requested a quote for a cross-country (NYC to LA) move that I'm considering and was told $2,200+ for one "ReloCube," delivered door-to-door. While I'm sure that's a pretty good price, it's more than twice the cost of a truck (once you include gas for the truck, it's pretty much comparable). Since I have to drive anyway (I can't fly, since I'll be transporting animals), it doesn't make economic sense for me.

Sure wish it did, though .....

Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
We have used Upack twice now...We only had one issue...

They said we used more space then we did. Thank goodness for digital camera's...Take a pic of your packed truck so they don't try to stick it to you...

Other then that, very timely and very nice service.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,678 times
Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Hey Danielle,

What a great tip! We will be moving from NY to MO, and are thinking of using ABF. I'll make sure to take a picture, to keep them from price jacking.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hey Danielle,

What a great tip! We will be moving from NY to MO, and are thinking of using ABF. I'll make sure to take a picture, to keep them from price jacking.
No problem!

Its a fantastic service...Just maximize your space and take that picture.
Oh and they used to charge you extra for the ramp you need to load and unload the truck...I think it was around $75.00. We rented one from somewhere else for 25.00...Things may have changed since then but...Something else to think about...

Best of luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues