Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 14,043 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we're moving to another state about 1,000 miles away (selling our house and moving into a rented house), and the moving company has stated it can be anywhere from 7 - 10 days before our stuff will arrive. What have people done in this situation? We have 2 large dogs adding to the mix. My thought is to pull a small trailer with just our mattresses/bedding, toiletries and clothes and camp out in the rental house, but I'm curious what others have done since this must be a pretty common scenario. I looked into renting an RV one-way, but there seem to be none available for trips going south for pretty much the entire summer.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Slow trip stopping to visit friends, relatives and sights along the way.

Be at the property on the first day of schedule delivery unless they offer real-time tracking. If they have real-time tracking, you will have a much better sense of your goods are located as well as when its realistically expected to arrive. You adjust your travel to meet the delivery date.

If you have nothing to do delay arrival, camping out inside the property may be the more acceptable option. It at least will give you a chance to adjust before all the furniture gets piled in. can also get to know the area, stores, etc. without also trying to set up your stuff.

One thing to remember, they have 30 days from the scheduled delivery date to deliver the items and still be within their schedule delivery window before you can really do anything. Hopefully they offered some form of delay delivery compensation that kicks in if they don't meet their own written delivery window.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:20 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
All of my cars have been wagon/small SUV types and I didn't choose or could tow a trailer. I brought immediately necessary supplies along in or on top of the car (air mattress/sleeping bag, floor cushion, folding chair and table, food & other supplies for my bird(s) or other pets...dogs are relatively easy to cater to), mailed a couple of boxes of clothing/household supplies to myself c/o the new location's post office ahead of time or placed web orders for smaller items I wasn't sure I would find locally, then camped out at the new house. For a couple of job related moves that provided relocation expense reimbursement I stayed at a local mom-pop motel.

Unless you're moving to Timbuktu (most likely even there in these modern days ), remember that the new locale will have a variety of stores. If you really, really need something on short notice you can probably buy it pretty easily.

It could always be worse OP. Several of my moves were transcontinental, including to AK. It typically took 2-3 weeks for my household goods to show up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2023 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-11-2023, 07:15 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You may find that when they come to pick up your goods, the driver will be able to give you a much closer estimate of when he will arrive at your destination.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We had the same experience when we moved from another state. My son (age 5) the dog and I packed up some essentials like some of our cloths, sleeping bags, pillows and the TV, and drove up (14 hours). We camped out on the floor for a few days, then my wife and daughter drove up, bringing their essentials a few more things. It was about 2 more days until the truck showed up with out stuff. During that time we ate out a lot, so discovered the local restaurants, and went to parks, and visited the schools. The driver was to call the early morning of the arrival, and did, so we didn't have to stay there the whole time.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:09 PM

639 posts, read 377,751 times
Have lots of sex in places other than a bed.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:30 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If you need to keep the dogs at the house, then you can get an air mattress and retain a couple of pillows and sleeping bags or blankets, and sleep cozily on the floor a couple of days.

Meanwhile you can sketch out how you will first arrange your furniture so that upon delivery you can direct the movers as to what goes where.

And a personal suggestion. Buy a bunch of those pads to put under the feet/legs of the arriving furniture so you can safely scoot it to exactly where you want it days after it is delivered. Makes the final furniture arranging so much simpler.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:20 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
When we moved to Arizona the truck broke down and was delayed. This turned out to be a plus since it gave us time to buy a house. When the truck arrived they moved out things directly into the house.

We stayed a few days in a hotel while this was going on.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:12 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
"...7 to 10 days..."

LOL.

Plan on 4-6 weeks, IF that.

Just plan on it.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:58 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I only hired a moving company once and they came on the day they promised. Guess I'm glad we rented and drove the moving trucks for all our other moves. Can't imagine being in limbo like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues