Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:42 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,023 times

Advertisements

Anybody watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" on Friday nights? If so, what do you think?

I missed the first two shows (Sarah Jessica Parker and Emmit Smith) but saw some preview scenes on Oprah and was very touched. Have seen Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Broderick and look forward to the one on Brooke Shields next week. Not being a big celebrity-oriented person, I think I might have enjoyed the shows as much with everyday people but I've loved these shows.

My primary thoughts have been: "I want to know more." These shows are just enough to pique my curiosity in an hour's time. And "Gee, I wish I had the money to travel all over and the experts waiting for me wherever I go to help me out."

However, I wouldn't trade for those moments discovering an ancestor or a key piece of information after searching long and hard on my own.

Last edited by mollyblythe; 03-27-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
I've enjoyed the shows so far, but missed some. Maybe they'll repeat them.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,637 times
I've seen all four and I think they are very good. It's nice to see some intelligent, educational viewing choices from one of the big networks. And as Molly stated, I think they would be just as good w/ everyday people. Maybe an idea for the coming seasons....

I do look forward to next weeks installment on Brooke Shields. She has royalty in her background, her grandmother was an Italian princess, but on the previews it appeared that she didn't know much about her heritage....

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
One of the most surprising things about the show is that people whose ancestry is easily found had no clue about anyone before their grandparents. We should all take a lesson from it and ask all our living relatives about everything they know and write it down.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
One of the most surprising things about the show is that people whose ancestry is easily found had no clue about anyone before their grandparents. We should all take a lesson from it and ask all our living relatives about everything they know and write it down.
Perhaps they didn't really care until NBC offered them big bucks.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,952 times
I got the impression that I was watching an Ancestry.com infomercial.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Anybody watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" on Friday nights? If so, what do you think?

I missed the first two shows (Sarah Jessica Parker and Emmit Smith) but saw some preview scenes on Oprah and was very touched. Have seen Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Broderick and look forward to the one on Brooke Shields next week. Not being a big celebrity-oriented person, I think I might have enjoyed the shows as much with everyday people but I've loved these shows.

My primary thoughts have been: "I want to know more." These shows are just enough to pique my curiosity in an hour's time. And "Gee, I wish I had the money to travel all over and the experts waiting for me wherever I go to help me out."

However, I wouldn't trade for those moments discovering an ancestor or a key piece of information after searching long and hard on my own.
Same here. I missed the first two. I like the show. I thought both Kudrow's and Broderick's were very touching. I'd like to see them do more.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
I'm enjoying them. And learning a lot.

Though when Matthew Broderick was told his ancestor had lived through Gettysburgh only to die in Georgia I thought for a minute, "Dang! They're going to tell him Great-grandpa was the Yankee that Scarlett O'Hara killed in her vestibule at Tara!" So when they said he was killed in the Battle of Peachtree Creek I had to smile to myself. (And I hope Broderick makes sure the man gets a proper headstone.)

I would like to see everybody wearing gloves when they handle those old documents, though.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I got the impression that I was watching an Ancestry.com infomercial.
I've only watched the first two eposides but they seemed to only use/mention ancestry.com once in each. There were plenty of other sources used and advertised.

But if you don't like it you could always try to get your hands on the original British version, I don't think they have plugs for Ancestry.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,325 times
I watched Matthew Broderick a couple of nights ago. It was interesting, I didn't know there were other celebs doing it too.
It really amazes me how some people know nothing about any of their ancestors. All we ever did when I was small was visit relatives and listen to stories about my parents childhoods and the people the lived among.
I think it is sad that people don't know about their history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy