Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 11:26 AM

721 posts, read 597,690 times

Advertisements

When asked I always say the name of the city where I was born. My parents lived at the time about 30 minutes from this city. I do remember puzzling over the two options once long ago and deciding if I just took the question literally and answered thusly I wouldn't have to go over that dilemma again and again. Clear question, clear answer.

Plus, my parents continued to live in that adjacent city only for about 3 months after I was born. My childhood after that was spent in a different town which is what I consider my "home town", the only place I have any memory of as a kid. So it just doesn't mean anything to me to say my "place of birth" is this other city that I was not actually born in and have no recollection of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 01:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I say I come from Riverdale, in the Bronx, even though my literal place of birth was Klingenstein Pavillion, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, New York.
Where you come from (your hometown, the place you spent most of your childhood) can be different from where you were born.

I would list the place the person was actually born, such as the hospital location. That is where the birth is recorded. That is where the birth certificate is issued.

If you list your birthplace in your family tree as your parents address and you were born in a hospital in another state or town, how will future genealogists in your family ever find your birth certificate?

Old 11-06-2021, 03:10 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
For example, when an obituary says someone was born in (city) does that mean where the hospital is or is it more accurate to state born in the town where the family lived and the child was taken home to?
Where you were born is the hospital/city you were born.

Where you grew up is where you lived and/or where the baby was brought home to and raised.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Thanks all who replied, some new facets brought up that enlarge the question of birthplace/hometown.

For genealogy purposes this answer by ansible90 seems best: If you list your birthplace in your family tree as your parents address and you were born in a hospital in another state or town, how will future genealogists in your family ever find your birth certificate?

Old 11-06-2021, 03:43 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Thanks all who replied, some new facets brought up that enlarge the question of birthplace/hometown.

For genealogy purposes this answer by ansible90 seems best: If you list your birthplace in your family tree as your parents address and you were born in a hospital in another state or town, how will future genealogists in your family ever find your birth certificate?
Unless the hospital is in a different state, that shouldn't be a problem. However, obviously when you're putting data in a tree, the place of birth should be the birth location, not the residence at the time of birth (if different, you should add a residence fact for that). I thought the question was not what to put in your tree, but how to interpret a record.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:04 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
My birth certificate shows the town of the hospital where I was born, not where my family lived.
To make things more confusing, if asked for my birthplace for an online security question, I use a whole different town.
Steiconi is not my real name, either.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:06 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Place of birth is where the birth took place.
It is what it is...

Old 11-06-2021, 07:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Place of birth is where the birth took place.
One would think!

Old 11-06-2021, 08:15 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
The place I was born doesn't exist any more, lol.

I was born at the Tachikawa AFB hospital, in Tachikawa Prefecture, Japan, in 1967. In 1977, the base was formally returned to the Japanese government. My parents did not live on base & my dad wasn't even stationed at Tachikawa anyway. My dad was stationed at Fuchu Air Station but Fuchu didn't have a hospital. However, my parents didn't live on base at Fuch either.

My parents lived in Nerima-ku, the northwestern of the 23 districts of Tokyo City.

So I just say I was born in Tokyo, even though my birth certificate says Tachikawa AFB, Japan. Hope that doesn't confuse any future descendants who are interested in their genealogy

Old 11-06-2021, 08:57 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The place I was born doesn't exist any more, lol.

I was born at the Tachikawa AFB hospital, in Tachikawa Prefecture, Japan, in 1967. In 1977, the base was formally returned to the Japanese government. My parents did not live on base & my dad wasn't even stationed at Tachikawa anyway. My dad was stationed at Fuchu Air Station but Fuchu didn't have a hospital. However, my parents didn't live on base at Fuch either.

My parents lived in Nerima-ku, the northwestern of the 23 districts of Tokyo City.

So I just say I was born in Tokyo, even though my birth certificate says Tachikawa AFB, Japan. Hope that doesn't confuse any future descendants who are interested in their genealogy
What place of birth did you provide to the SSA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy