Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Is there a larger picture of that? That looks awesome, but I have bad eyes.
You can save it to your computer, open it as an image, and then enlarge it by pressing Control and the plus sign to zoom in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You can save it to your computer, open it as an image, and then enlarge it by pressing Control and the plus sign to zoom in.
Great tip. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 10,297 times
Default Reply to misfitbanana

misfitbanana, I would recommend uploading your autosomal (Family Finder) results to GEDmatch - Tools for DNA and genealogy research. This breaks it down even more and gives you another pool to "fish" from. It will take about 20 days to completely tokenize once it is loaded but will provide other info in the meantime. I have found it to be useful. My mother test as 95.6% Orcadian and 4.4% Middle Eastern on FTDNA FF. GEDmatch broke it down further. My brother tested thru Ancestry.com several years ago and unless it has greatly improved, I felt it was quite generic. Hope this helps!!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 10,216 times
Hi Everyone !

I sent my Raw DNA results from Ancestry.com to FTDNA. I am 93.52% Orcadian. My results from Ancestry 83% Great Britain. 3% Ireland. So I think they are spot on detecting which regions we descend from. 23 and me , may produce a fear factor, as they can determine which diseases we may succumb to. I have matched with more cousins from my paternal line than maternal. I am female. I still may consider 23 and me. I am as curious as the next guy!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestnini1958 View Post
Hi Everyone !

I sent my Raw DNA results from Ancestry.com to FTDNA. I am 93.52% Orcadian. My results from Ancestry 83% Great Britain. 3% Ireland. So I think they are spot on detecting which regions we descend from. 23 and me , may produce a fear factor, as they can determine which diseases we may succumb to. I have matched with more cousins from my paternal line than maternal. I am female. I still may consider 23 and me. I am as curious as the next guy!

So does that mean you are mostly Orc?

What kind of Orc? Like Tolkien's Orcs? Or more like WH40K Orcs?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralwoman View Post
misfitbanana, I would recommend uploading your autosomal (Family Finder) results to GEDmatch - Tools for DNA and genealogy research. This breaks it down even more and gives you another pool to "fish" from. It will take about 20 days to completely tokenize once it is loaded but will provide other info in the meantime. I have found it to be useful. My mother test as 95.6% Orcadian and 4.4% Middle Eastern on FTDNA FF. GEDmatch broke it down further. My brother tested thru Ancestry.com several years ago and unless it has greatly improved, I felt it was quite generic. Hope this helps!!
Thank you! I've uploaded all my info to GedMatch, so hopefully I get some good results!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,657 times
Quote:
Is there a larger picture of that? That looks awesome, but I have bad eyes.
This is the largest version of that image I can find. http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5010/europew.png

Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM

322 posts, read 707,246 times
Quote:
Orcadian: Orcadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, the descendants of Picts, Scots, and Vikings.

Shovel Teeth: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A9ipYvA1R_...nt+line+up.gif

They have bulbs at the top, and look sorta scooped out in the middle, hence why they're called shovel teeth. There are different "grades" of Shovel teeth. Here is a link of a genetic analysis.

I also have more roots on my molars than most people do, and they go deep and attach to my jaw bone (when I had to get one out, the dentist actually had to use the drill against my bone) - these are very Native American traits as well (so I've read).

The marks near my retinal nerve show up like bright green dots. They look similar to a disease found in midwestern mud, but I've never actually visited the midwest, and people usually get sick when they get that disease, and I hadn't been sick in awhile. So after doing research, I found out that some Native Americans will have these marks show up (usually in just one eye, which is how mine is). It's benign and doesn't actually do any damage.

Asian Shovel Teeth Incisors (aka Shovel teeth) and there are different grades of them from a mild shovel to deeply pitted. The are usually the culprit in people misdiagnosing themselves as having American Indian ancestry. Some studies have shown degrees of tooth shoveling can vary from Plains Indians being the least to more common in the Pueblo for example. This is never reliable to determine Native American ancestry.
Here is a genetic study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2756549/

"Do you see shovel-shaped incisors often in your practice? These teeth have prominent marginal ridges and a very deep fossa on the lingual. The same features may also appear on the facial surface in some cases. If you don’t see them often, they might make you look twice. If your patient base includes Asians, Native Americans, Eskimos or other Mongoloid people, you may have grown used to them. In fact, nearly 100% of Native Americans and Alaskans have shovel-shaped incisors. Caucasians only exhibit this unique shape 15% of the time and African Americans show it even less frequently."
Shovel-Shaped Incisors | Daily Dental Dose

So they are seen in Caucasians, you are in the 15% especially since you have no genetic contributions from Asians/Native Americans.

This is a view of someone of Native Ancestry. Most Indigenous tend to have two front teeth that "wing" inward and shoveled.

Some are very deeply pitted.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 02-19-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
My front teeth used to wing (then I got braces and now they sorta overlap a little - the braces were not a good choice) - when I was young, there would be a space between that at the top that I could push a toothpick through, but the bottom of the teeth bumped up against each other (much more narrow across at the top than at the bottom). The middle picture is definitely representative of how the shovels in my teeth look. The bottom one doesn't seem right, though maybe that's because there's food or something in there (the dark marks)?

EDIT: My bottom front teeth still wing, actually, but I don't know if you were only talking about upper teeth.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 02-19-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM

322 posts, read 707,246 times
Quote:
My front teeth used to wing (then I got braces and now they sorta overlap a little - the braces were not a good choice) - when I was young, there would be a space between that at the top that I could push a toothpick through, but the bottom of the teeth bumped up against each other (much more narrow across at the top than at the bottom). The middle picture is definitely representative of how the shovels in my teeth look. The bottom one doesn't seem right, though maybe that's because there's food or something in there (the dark marks)?

EDIT: My bottom front teeth still wing, actually, but I don't know if you were only talking about upper teeth.
Bottom teeth can shovel, slightly. Normally the top marginal incisors have the highest cases of "shoveling."

Here are pictures of a girl, who is Asian and she has some pics showing her bottom teeth. She has a high degree of tooth shoveling. Her bottoms are not as shoveled.
Live. Laugh. Love: After 70 days of putting on braces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy