Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:22 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times

Advertisements

My pin oaks survived their first year! They doubled in size, so now they're about 18" tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 12:49 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
Thanks for the pictures. My 12 oaks are really not pretty. I've taken out three already and am thinking of specimen trees to take their place. I'll be looking for a pin oak. (Already transplanted a tulip tree.)

Old 11-09-2020, 04:33 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
My pin oaks survived their first year! They doubled in size, so now they're about 18" tall.

I never knew an oak would grow so fast until I had these Pin oaks in my front yard. Impressive growth for an oak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Thanks for the pictures. My 12 oaks are really not pretty. I've taken out three already and am thinking of specimen trees to take their place. I'll be looking for a pin oak. (Already transplanted a tulip tree.)

I wonder what "not pretty" means. The shape or the color?

Old 11-09-2020, 07:26 PM

997 posts, read 850,148 times
I planted 9 more oaks along our river bank in 2019. 4 red oaks, 4 swamp oaks (white) and a pin oak. All 9 made it thru last years winter and look pretty good one (a red oak) really looks good.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:17 PM

November 11, 2020. They are falling. One thing I hate about these trees is they keep their leaves on (brown) through the winter. Makes a mess on a nice fresh snowpack and come spring there are oak leaves everywhere.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:33 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
November 11, 2020. They are falling. One thing I hate about these trees is they keep their leaves on (brown) through the winter. Makes a mess on a nice fresh snowpack and come spring there are oak leaves everywhere.
Well, I'm quite sure that squirrels appreciate being able to gather dry leaves to replenish their nests throughout the winter. In fact, that could very well be a key symbiotic relationship which has developed between oak trees and squirrels, since squirrels are very handy at planting acorns.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:28 AM

Been since Fall since I updated. Thought I had a winter and spring photo. Sorry.

Here's a pic from this summer. It's going to be interesting seeing the ring size from this year in the future. Lots of rain this summer! Big growth

Standing under it is an amazing feeling.

I can't get both in the same picture anymore so here are the 2 separate

Keeping the grass green under there hasn't been too hard but does require attention. And not sure if you can tell but the base is lifting up the grass/dirt around the trunk.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the update!

My little seedlings are still going strong. They're still only about 24-30" tall. I find that I'm interested in their different shapes, and I wonder if that's a reflection of what they'll be like as they grow. One tree seems to have one central stem with one distinct branch sticking off the side. The other has one central stem, but ends with a small canopy, like a tiny umbrella of leaves.

Here's a pic from earlier this year:

Old 07-11-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Thanks for the update!

My little seedlings are still going strong. They're still only about 24-30" tall. I find that I'm interested in their different shapes, and I wonder if that's a reflection of what they'll be like as they grow. One tree seems to have one central stem with one distinct branch sticking off the side. The other has one central stem, but ends with a small canopy, like a tiny umbrella of leaves.

Here's a pic from earlier this year:
Very cool! You'll love watching those babies grow over time. I think they are a bit too close though. The canopy gets pretty big. Unless you plan to use one for firewood in 10 yrs.

The one with the branch hanging off the side will have to get pruned soon. Let it put its energy into height and new growth.

Keep us updated on them please. You should set up a timelapse camera on them. Take 1 picture a day and then stich all the pics together after 5 yrs. Would be so interesting to see the growth through the seasons.

As far as mine and the distances... Lower branches are 5 feet from touching and the trees are 30 feet apart. I keep pruning the lower branches every Summer

Old 07-11-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Very cool! You'll love watching those babies grow over time. I think they are a bit too close though. The canopy gets pretty big. Unless you plan to use one for firewood in 10 yrs.

The one with the branch hanging off the side will have to get pruned soon. Let it put its energy into height and new growth.

Keep us updated on them please. You should set up a timelapse camera on them. Take 1 picture a day and then stich all the pics together after 5 yrs. Would be so interesting to see the growth through the seasons.

As far as mine and the distances... Lower branches are 5 feet from touching and the trees are 30 feet apart. I keep pruning the lower branches every Summer

Thanks! I'm not too worried about spacing though. I know they won't remain separate specimen trees, and their canopies will merge. But, I live across the street from a 120 year old park with many examples of closely planted oak trees getting along with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden