Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,481,505 times

Advertisements

ITT, people who run knowledgeable people off defend being jerks online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 AM

9,771 posts, read 14,344,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you are free to start your own thread with any title you like.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your authorization

How about some flowers? I just went outside and took this photo of my pansies and Knock Outs, just for you because you deserve an "A" for effort, and for being a good friend of some. As for me.....I'll do my cheerleading for the whole gang here who contribute, ask questions, post photos, and look for solutions to everyday garden issues.

Please don't run those people seeking information off.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,386,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
ITT, people who run knowledgeable people off defend being jerks online.
There is really only one rule people need to live by when participating on a forum. Don't be a Jerk. My personal rule replaces jerk with a 4 letter word beginning with D and ending with K, but the sentiment is the same. It's a good rule to live life by, too.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,405,437 times
It's surprises me how much our body of knowledge evolves or can apply regionally specific. The county extension here used to sell / distribute several now known invasives. So, as science proves that care should be taken not to introduce these species into the local environment there are those who will jump on the private ownership argument and God given right to do what they please w/o regard to clean up cost to be born by all. If that or any argument is made at a loud volume it is not any more correct or palatable. Most of the time we don't look for common ground but jump to the disagreement within a very few posts. ...I need to change my status to lurking and learning.? Stuck in the rain, not snow for a change....

Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,304,972 times
This has been an interesting thread. I've been active CD member for some time now. This thread has garnered more rep points and comments and personal direct messages than any other thread I have started so obviously it has hit a nerve.

I hope people will continue to ask questions and seek advice and that those with experience and knowledge will be generous enough to share graciously. We all need to remember that plants- the same species and varieties- grow differently in different parts of the country. So what one oster may swear is the right way to do something in his part of the country just won't work in my part of the country. In fact within the same zones this is true.

What is considered a nuisance weed somewhere may not be so bad somewhere else. (However I think Momosa is considered a nuisance weed all over the country. Just had to add that. ). So when we tell what zone we are in it would be a good idea to give a more exact location. And while Tina is right- science is science- all gardeners know good gardening is an art form to many of us. And some are better artists than others!
I hope we all have good growing season and I look forward to many fun pictures.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:58 AM

9,771 posts, read 14,344,231 times
Quote:
This has been an interesting thread. I've been active CD member for some time now. This thread has garnered more rep points and comments and personal direct messages than any other thread I have started so obviously it has hit a nerve.
Personal respect for one another is not only expected, it makes for a fun and interesting forum. Pitting "those who know everything" against "those who want to learn" was not a good idea, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,033,169 times
Look people, the forum is a 2-way communication. We need both the well-informed & those who ask questions.

Simple rule apply here, treat others the way you like to be treated. That goes both ways too. The "knowlegeable" people should be humble & learn to communicatte in selling their opinions & not expect others to bow automatically accepting their opinions as gospel. Likewise, the rest of "us" can learn a bit of internet etiquette, and ask questions in a non-confrontation way. At the end, we can agree to disagree without the name-calling. Anyone can call names hiding behind keyboards. That is just chicken poop behavior.

Finally, please do not be a PC police here. No one needs a lecture on don't run people off. If ask as a "reminder" on why we all are here, to share on a subject that we all enjoy discussing, than this thread will come across differently. If there are any policing, the Mods are doing a damn good job around here as I see it.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 05-03-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,069,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dear God.
I take it you see them as a pest as many see Mountain Laurel and Esperanza's?

or Birds of Paradise....

They all do well in our semi desert conditions here.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,033,169 times
Quote:
And while Tina is right- science is science- all gardeners know good gardening is an art form to many of us. And some are better artists than others!
I look at it another way, science may be science, how we reach the same result may have a different approach. Gramma's way of doing things & she may not be able to explain it the scientific way, but it works so why argue? Behides, as a scientist I can say that the scientists are merely playing catch up trying to understand what people may know for centuries that works.

Besides, all of us come to this forum voluntarily, so the "experts" need to learn how to communicate with us the lay people. There are far more technical forums out there if the "experts" want to argue among themselves, and they do often But if you come here to get your egos stroked & get all pissy and storm off because people disagree with you, then I'd say "grow a pair".

Quote:
I hope we all have good growing season and I look forward to many fun pictures.
*Warning: self-promotion coming * Thank you! Please visit the "Vegetable Gardening" thread on top of this page to see fun pictures

Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,172,197 times
I'm a Mimosa lover Beautifull trees. They also remind me of the Acacia trees on the Serengeti in Africa.

Mimosa Tree

Acacia tree on the Serengeti

Everyone here has something to share. Everyone of us has knowledge and we each have things we enjoy learning about. No reason to get upset because someone knows something we don't. We all know stuff other people don't, We each have something we want to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden