Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 02:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 721,367 times

Advertisements

Wow, fun to read through all the replies. Brings back a lot of memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 02:47 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

There was a Wonder/Hostess outlet store near where I lived in Northeast Philadelphia. I don't ever remember buying stale bread there. The bread I bought there was still soft and tasted fine.
That was my experience also.
The products were close to the end date, but NOTHING was ever stale.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Buying bread/baked goods at the Stale Bread store

My dad always frequented the local Wonder Bread "stale bread" store.

Today, they throw away food past it's sell date. Possibly donate it. Back before the government required a "sell by" date, Wonder Bread would sell all of its old bread, rolls and muffins at the "stale bread" store.

Both Grupo Bimbo and Flowers Industries, the two largest commercial bakeries in the US, have MANY bakery outlets in large cities. Some of the product is "past date"; a lot of it is NOT.

I buy a lot of Thomas, Oroweat, and Sara Lee products for around $2 each. The store brand products (Kroger, Food City, and Safeway) are usually prices around $1. There is a 10% senior discount as well as one free bakery item per $8 purchased.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:31 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Jelly in glasses that you kept and used.
Items inside of products, like maybe a dish towel, or dishes or glasses inside the box of laundry detergent.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Eating Bologna or Spam Sandwiches.

And paying for your own wedding and honeymoon for next to nothing. The cake coming from the local Krogers type store.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:18 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Eating Bologna or Spam Sandwiches.

And paying for your own wedding and honeymoon for next to nothing. The cake coming from the local Krogers type store.
Then what do they do with all those cans of Spam and pounds of bologna (prepackaged and deli-sliced) they sell?

I know some people do eat Spam at breakfast time.

It's also considered a delicacy in Hawaii.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:04 AM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times
We only went to the movie theatre a few times when I was growing up but I recall one time my mother had popped popcorn at home and then doled out little sandwich baggies of homemade popped popcorn. The popcorn at the theatre was too expensive and maybe she didn't want us to feel left out, but instead I remember being sort of embarrassed about it.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Jelly in glasses that you kept and used.

They have been replaced by Classico Pasta Sauce that is bottled in Mason Jars. A few years back, I tried to buy Mason jars and they were $1.50. At the same time, Classico pasta sauce was only $0.99 per jar on special. I bought twelve jars of sauce rather than buying the jars.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:19 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know if you've priced airfare lately but the less desirable the departure or arrival ends up being, oftentimes the cheaper the flight. If you leave at 5 AM or are willing to get in at midnight there are often savings for the flight.

I'll throw out, sewing your own clothes (not sewing to fix, but actually make.)
Reloading ammunition, in most cases. It's still done as a hobby to optimize performance.
Changing your own oil, in many cases.
Changing oil saves money?

Sorry, but the mechanic is ordering filters by the thousand and his cost per one is far less than your cost per one. The mechanic pumps bulk oils from one of a half dozen or so tanks in the ground, at a cost per quart far less than what you get in a plastic jug off the retail shelf.

Also, I don't have to dispose of the stuff. I don't have to get rags and a drip pan out of the garage or shed while the mechanic might not even have to walk 5 feet to get those things. And shoot, I don't even have to get my hands dirty or risk ruining even my yardwork clothes.

The reality is that for the vast majority of people, having the mechanic do it is actually a better use of one's time, even if not paying for the other guy's labor is marginally cheaper by a few dollars.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:57 PM

2,046 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Changing oil saves money?
I think you interpreted that previous post wrong. They were answering the question of the thread title...obsolete ways to save money.

I also posted that it would cost me more to change my own oil as opposed to taking it a mechanic or dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living