Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:08 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,940,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if i had to choose between "exotic cruise" and "going camping"
i would pick camping every time

there are plenty of people who know how to be happy and enjoy life and yes have fun without "exotic travel" and yes without spending a lot of money. Being able to save and live within their means, is a sign of stability and being responsible, and not needing to spend loads of money on a bunch of material stuff to be happy.
People spend A LOT on experiences these days. But spending more does not mean more enjoyment. As a child I remember some great camping trips. They were often more fun than some resorts we went to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:16 AM

2,793 posts, read 1,649,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
It's who you are and you're normal.

My friend is like this too. He's single and can afford anything he wants, but there's nothing he wants to buy and nowhere he wants to go. He doesn't want the latest smartphone, a new laptop, gadgets, a new car or 2 or 3, traveling, new clothes, bars, clubs, museums, shopping, Disneyland, Hawaii, NY, a barbecue grill, camping, cruises, taking classes for fun.

All he needs is his computer to work and watch sports.

On the weekends, he goes out walking (free), sometimes drives up to a hill to watch the stars (also free), and tinkers with old computers.

Old Today, 01:00 PM

6,475 posts, read 7,816,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
But you DO spend money. High end clothes are "goofy", but "cool heated floors" are not?

Too funny. What YOU spend money on is good. What other people spend it on, is somehow less worthy.
Just saw this response.

Yes, I do spend and I do acknowledge that what I consider goofy, others don't. That's all good. Others can call my heated floor goofy. I take no offense. But let's also note that my new kitchen and additional bath (did I mention it has heated floors!) are an investment. I will not lose money on that, it will increase the price of my home.

So yeah, I believe what I spend money on is not goofy but it is just an opinion. I have not desire to look wealthy. And I say with utmost confidence that the vast majority of people driving in their Lexi (plural of lexus??) with their Fendi shoes have a much lower net worth than I do. I'll wear my sweats and crocs to Walmart while they go to wherever they go to feel good about themselves. I guess that's my point, I don't need to show society anything, the goofy clothes wearers do. But hey, to each their own.

Best to you.

Edit: and the above is common for me. I make investments rather than buy things to signal something to society. That is why I have what I have, because I make good choices, and I've been making good choices for many many years. That, along with sacrifice, dedication, discipline, a little luck, and some other things sprinkled in has ensured a good financial position for my family, which is whom I do this all for. I don't care about much but I will take care of my family. So my wife can do her thing without being bound to an a hole boss and my kid can start or buy a business, or continue on with real estate, or whatever. I believe it is more admirable to live that way than to shower myself with goofy luxuries that signals my wealth. Again, just me and everyone else should do what they thing is best for them. I am content that when I die, my family will be well taken care of and will hopefully build on what I did and what my parents did for me.

Last edited by G-fused; Today at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living